J.J. Abrams Signs Up To Direct Star Wars VII

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
J.J. Abrams Signs Up To Direct Star Wars VII

The Star Wars versus Star Trek battle is about to get a whole lot more interesting.

Back in December, director J.J. Abrams said that because of his loyalty to the Star Trek franchise he'd just rebooted, he had no desire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121261-J-J-Abrams-Turned-Down-Directing-New-Star-Wars-Movies] to be involved in any of the new Star Wars films. "I declined any involvement very early on," he said at the time. "I'd rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them."

Things have apparently changed.

There are virtually no details at this point, but the word on the street is that Abrams has signed up to direct Star Wars VII, apparently beating out contenders including Ben Affleck and Jon Favreau for the job. According to Variety, Disney, which acquired Lucasfilm and all things Star Wars last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120408-Disney-Acquires-Lucasfilm], is in the process of closing the deal. Abrams is currently at work on Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Star Wars Episode VII is currently in pre-production and expected to come out in 2015.

Sources: MTV [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118065109/]

(photo [http://www.flickr.com/photos/shankbone/4588102254/])

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I'm not really into Star Wars or Trek so I wouldn't really know...is this going to be an issue for the fans?

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Nooooo!
I hate Abrams and what he's done with Star Treck and his TV shows. He caters to what's popular instead of preoccupying himself with quality.
Damn commercialization ring (Lucas, Disney, Abrams)

... did I forget it is all about the money?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I always thought those lightsaber battles in Revenge of the Sith would have looked way cooler if they'd been completely obscured by lens flare.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
OWWWW.... That's sad to hear. JJ Abrams is one of those weird directors whose doesn't annoy me but just lacks talent... he has no movie or series under his belt that has blown me away from beginning to end. I kind wish it had gone to the director that did Thor, that guy did some brave shit there that paid off in spades. Now it'll probably just be Star Trek again which I guess is a better fit for Abrams then Star Trek actually was... regardless this is kind of disheartening not Michael Bay or Brett Ratner disheatening... but still .

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Did someone just hear a scream? I'm pretty sure it originated around Boston but I heard it all the way up here in Western Canada...

I think Bob Chipman may have just imploded...

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Star Wars Episode 7: Revenge of the Lens Flare.
Star Wars Episode 7: A New Lens Flare
Star Wars Episode 7: The Lens Flare Strikes Back
Star Wars Episode 7: Return of the Lens Flare
Star Wars Episode 7: The Phantom Lens Flare
Star Wars Episode 7: Attack of the Lens Flare

OT: Apart from the lens flares in the new Star Trek movie, I like it alright. Just hope he can make something good happen after most people assumed they would never see another Star Wars movie made. Lots of pressure on Mr. Abrams.

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
Awesome, things are starting to look up for this, Big fan of Abrams, especially lost. His star trek reboot actually got me interested in the franchise. other than Peter Jackson or Joss Whedon, I cant think of a better man for the job.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok, now I really want to know what made him changed his mind? Seriosuly what made him to decide to go back against his words and sign up to it?

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
A fresh look at an old franchise, how is this a bad thing? It's not like they can fuck it up anymore. I for one am enthusiastic about what's to come. The original startrek was great but so was the reboot, I really don't get the naysayers. Are people really so close minded for new things?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
MmmFiber said:
canadamus_prime said:
Star Wars Episode 7: Revenge of the Lens Flare.
Star Wars Episode 7: A New Lens Flare
Star Wars Episode 7: Attack of the Lens Flares
Star Wars Episode 7: The Phantom Lens Flare
Star Wars Episode 7: The Lens Flare Strikes Back
Star Wars Episode 7: The Return of the Lens Flare