J.J. Abrams Signs Up To Direct Star Wars VII

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
valium said:
Am I the only person on this site who likes Abrams movies?
I really enjoyed the star trek reboot, sat down my my good friend with a beer and watched it. Was a damn fine movie.

And Zachary Quinto was in it.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Azex said:
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

also lens flare.

this is gonna suck
Those new model lightsabers are going to burn our retinas right out of our skulls.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
valium said:
I liked his Star Trek reboot, not oni the same way I enjoyed the older Star Trek. That's what worries me. I watched Star Trek 11 as a fun science fiction adventure film with only tangential ties to the source material.

But with Star Wars, where everything has tried to have a consistent tone and universe, it just feels like too much of a departure.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Scorpid said:
valium said:
Am I the only person on this site who like Abrams movies?
LOL Apparently. I honestly thought I would be in the minority on this.
You aren't alone, I loved Star Trek quite a bit (lens flares and all, sort of contributed to the "squeaky clean future" I always envisioned for Star Trek) and Abrams puts a LOT of effort into his projects... even if they don't all work out... so really it could be a HELL of a lot worse.

But there are always going to be dissenting opinions, for example a lot of people like Zak Snyder whereas I think he's one of the worst film-makers out there (he has a lot of passion... I just hate his work).

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
MmmFiber said:
canadamus_prime said:
Star Wars Episode 7: Revenge of the Lens Flare.
Star Wars Episode 7: A New Lens Flare
Star Wars Episode 7: Attack of the Lens Flares
Star Wars Episode 7: The Phantom Lens Flare
Star Wars Episode 7: The Lens Flare Strikes Back
Star Wars Episode 7: The Return of the Lens Flare
Haha, guess we had the same idea. I was editing mine as you posted this. Lol. They have a nice ring to them, though.

Dygen Entreri

Sep 23, 2010
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror...and continued to scream for eternity. I fear something terrible has happened.

In all honesty, as long as Abrams doesn't use the damn lens flare, this could work out. I actually liked Star Trek: 2009, and as a Wars fan and non-Trekkie, he made me excited to see the sequel.

That said, I'd rather someone else do it, preferably someone who will hold the ORIGINAL source material in high regard. Definitely not George Lucas.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
PedroSteckecilo said:
Scorpid said:
valium said:
Am I the only person on this site who like Abrams movies?
LOL Apparently. I honestly thought I would be in the minority on this.
You aren't alone, I loved Star Trek quite a bit (lens flares and all, sort of contributed to the "squeaky clean future" I always envisioned for Star Trek) and Abrams puts a LOT of effort into his projects... even if they don't all work out... so really it could be a HELL of a lot worse.

But there are always going to be dissenting opinions, for example a lot of people like Zak Snyder whereas I think he's one of the worst film-makers out there (he has a lot of passion... I just hate his work).
Yeah in my original post on the topic I said sort of the same thing about Abrahms as you said about Snyder. I myself can say that Snyder has at least one movie that has blown me away from beginning to end with Watchmen but Abrahms doesn't.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
On the one hand, Trek '09 was more Star Wars than Star Trek, and Abrams is an admitted fan of Star Wars who doesn't give a crap about Star Trek. On the other hand, his Wars-ified Trek managed to be less Star Wars like and more The Fifth Element/Stargate/insertother90'sscififilmthatplayedsecondbananatotheclassicsofthe70'sand80'shere than even the Star Wars prequels. And at least TPM was Star Wars through and through -- I still think the only real reason people hated that one was it couldn't possibly stand up to 20 years of hype. The actual movies, sure, but not their reputation. 2 and 3 may as well have been one of those 90's sci fi films, but not 1.

And I /like/ the Sci Fi films of the 90's. The two I listed by name are two of my favorites, regardless of decade. But they're no Star Wars.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Ok, now I really want to know what made him changed his mind? Seriosuly what made him to decide to go back against his words and sign up to it?
Rhymes with "honey."

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
MmmFiber said:
canadamus_prime said:
MmmFiber said:
canadamus_prime said:
Star Wars Episode 7: Revenge of the Lens Flare.
Star Wars Episode 7: A New Lens Flare
Star Wars Episode 7: Attack of the Lens Flares
Star Wars Episode 7: The Phantom Lens Flare
Star Wars Episode 7: The Lens Flare Strikes Back
Star Wars Episode 7: The Return of the Lens Flare
Haha, guess we had the same idea. I was editing mine as you posted this. Lol. They have a nice ring to them, though.
If nothing else this news give way to some pretty good jokes.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Fuck. I have never liked anything this man has done in TV. Oh the Jedi are going to feel this one.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Scarim Coral said:
Ok, now I really want to know what made him changed his mind? Seriosuly what made him to decide to go back against his words and sign up to it?
Rhymes with "honey."
I would have thought it rhymed with "deadeye hind flick".

OT: Well, nothing is confirmed yet, so before we all take it as the word of God, cool your jets. They could very well announce that it was just a rumor and it dies.

Also, not that I don't think he's up to the task or anything, but he just seems too obvious a choice. He rebooted another beloved series with the word "Star" in the title, I mean...

But eh. We'll see.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
i really like his concepts... but i dont care for his followthrough... i guess we will just have to see how this turns out...

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
valium said:
No, I do too.

I find this hilarious because the Star Wars vs. Star Trek nerd wars are now basically moot. It's all Star Abrams now.