Jack is Back: Samurai Jack Returns to Adult Swim

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Jandau said:
But thank you for assuming I simply can't read.
The assumption was that you glanced passed that point of info. I merely wanted to point out what you might had missed.

But fine, be snippety about it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
ShakerSilver said:
Finally, a reason to watch TV again. So very glad it's got the original creator behind it too.

Although if the Scotsman isn't back too I will be very disappointed.
If he comes back, he better damn well come paired with his wife.

chadachada123 said:
Gods I loved that episode. It was simply striking to watch. Easily one of the more creative fight sequences I've ever seen.

Bat Vader said:
With it being on Adult Swim I wonder if they are going to change anything or if it will stay the same.
My hope is that they up the ante a lot. Don't shy away from showing actual blood and guts. Don't dumb down or modify the dialog to make it 'safe'. Fully embrace the adult themes the original series only slightly touched on.

Honestly, this could be amazing if Tartakovsky and Adult Swim don't mess it up. Let's hope the production isn't too cheap.

bladestorm91

Mar 18, 2015
Good, good. Now bring back Megas XLR and I'll almost forgive you Cartoon Network for sucking ass all these years.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Mister K said:
The hype is real!

It is time to end this story and pierce Akus heart. Get to the past, Samurai Jack.
I actually found myself wondering how the story would end if we never got an answer. Jack killing Aku would effectively undo everything he's done leading up to that point (because he'd be rewriting history), which means all the friendships he'd forged on his journey would never exist.

I always thought it would be interesting to see which path Jack would take, or if he'd even consider the repercussions, because for how awful the world Aku created is and how awful what happened to his family was, there are good things that came from the creatures trying to survive in that scenario and they've created their own culture surrounding it.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I want to be optimistic about this, but the Family Guy rule hasn't been wrong yet.
You can't resurrect a show, you can only zombify its remains.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Azex said:
This is good news. Hopefully they do more Megas XLR too
There will never be enough Megas XLR. Never.

On Topic, though. I've always wanted to see a proper end to Samurai Jack. Hopefully we'll get some closure this time around.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
I do have to wonder if they will treat the comics as cannon. They kill Aku at the end of the comics so maybe this will be post death of Aku?

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
Quick! Someone check the temperature in Hell, because I think it's frozen over.This is excellent news. I have loved this series since the beginning.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Eclipse Dragon said:
Mister K said:
The hype is real!

It is time to end this story and pierce Akus heart. Get to the past, Samurai Jack.
I actually found myself wondering how the story would end if we never got an answer. Jack killing Aku would effectively undo everything he's done leading up to that point (because he'd be rewriting history), which means all the friendships he'd forged on his journey would never exist.

I always thought it would be interesting to see which path Jack would take, or if he'd even consider the repercussions, because for how awful the world Aku created is and how awful what happened to his family was, there are good things that came from the creatures trying to survive in that scenario and they've created their own culture surrounding it.
But won't it mean that he is simply creating basically a paralel universe? His friends stay in the universe 1, where he had his adventures, but he himself lives in the universe 2, where he defeats Aku and the world develops without his influence.

So, basically, he gets to keep all his relationships AND create a world he wanted.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Product Placement said:
Bat Vader said:
With it being on Adult Swim I wonder if they are going to change anything or if it will stay the same.
One of the things I could see happening is Jack actually killing living enemies. In the old show, everything he fought and chopped up usually turned out to be a robot, no matter how organic looking they may have seemed.

I think the closest they came to show him actually killing was in this segment:

Yeah that's censorship for you (showing robot metal guts was the limit he can show).

In saying so the only other violence as in showing non robot guts was that episode with the green lady and she got swollow by a desert worm and she slash its way out of its stomach. The worm is still alived as it sream back down into the sand.

OT- Yup 2016 will be a good year, Fire Emblem: Fate, Hyper Light Drifter and now this!

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
chadachada123 said:
RJ Dalton said:
I never got what people liked about this show.
Aside from the action, which is fantastic in its own right, and the choreography, which is also very good for a cartoon, I think one of the great appeals was its atmosphere and its use of "show, don't tell." Some of its best moments happened with no voice acting whatsoever. Even further come a lot of preferential reasons like the art style (which makes effective use of leaving out black outlines), the music, the voice acting, the story/setting, etc.

I think a large reason, also, is the fact that it had copious amounts of "gore" for a kid's show, except that the "gore" was almost always electronic guts or bug guts spewing everywhere.

tl;dr: Shit's cool, yo.
While the use of black and white in that clip makes for some striking visuals, I provide . . . a clip I can't find -____- . . . of the Jack and the Scotsman fight, where it features thirty seconds of a looping animation of the Scotsman moving his sword back and forth to block a looping animation of a single slash from Jack as a counterexample to your claim of great choreography.
And fake gore annoys the hell out of me and only serves to remind me of how completely and stupidly arbitrary the censorship laws are.

Gregio

Jul 26, 2014
Well, there are the comics, which finished the story.
I won't spoil it, but I wonder if the cartoon will follow the comics or make a new story.

Personally I thought the comics gave it good enough closure.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Well, I wasn't expecting this to happen. Let's just hope that it'll remain as good as the original show.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
RJ Dalton said:
chadachada123 said:
RJ Dalton said:
Aside from the action, which is fantastic in its own right, and the choreography, which is also very good for a cartoon, I think one of the great appeals was its atmosphere and its use of "show, don't tell." Some of its best moments happened with no voice acting whatsoever. Even further come a lot of preferential reasons like the art style (which makes effective use of leaving out black outlines), the music, the voice acting, the story/setting, etc.

I think a large reason, also, is the fact that it had copious amounts of "gore" for a kid's show, except that the "gore" was almost always electronic guts or bug guts spewing everywhere.

While the use of black and white in that clip makes for some striking visuals, I provide . . . a clip I can't find -____- . . . of the Jack and the Scotsman fight, where it features thirty seconds of a looping animation of the Scotsman moving his sword back and forth to block a looping animation of a single slash from Jack as a counterexample to your claim of great choreography.
And fake gore annoys the hell out of me and only serves to remind me of how completely and stupidly arbitrary the censorship laws are.
1. The Scotsman and Jack fight was during the first season so the reason as to why it feels like Looping is probably due to budget constraints. As the series went on the animation got a whole lot better.

2. Well they will rectify the gore issue since its now an "adults show" on adult swim. But even then there were moments where Jack did KILL living persons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBYXv97FuAY

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Bout. Damn. Time.

Seriously, that took way too long. I've been talking like Aku for ten years now; didn't realize how long it'd been. I'm hoping it'll be a good, satisfying ending. I was just rewatching the last season, and it made me wonder about the effects of sending jack to the past: all of his good deeds in the future will have never happened.

Also, I wonder how they'll fill in for Mako.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
RJ Dalton said:
chadachada123 said:
RJ Dalton said:

1. The Scotsman and Jack fight was during the first season so the reason as to why it feels like Looping is probably due to budget constraints. As the series went on the animation got a whole lot better.

2. Well they will rectify the gore issue since its now an "adults show" on adult swim. But even then there were moments where Jack did KILL living persons:

I'd like to keep arguing, but . . . well, I watched like three whole episodes and saw only occasional clips of the rest and it never struck me as anything more than "meh," so I really can't go into any fine details. All I remember was not finding the animation all that impressive (although that scene with the black and white suggests the visuals were better than I remember, though the animation still looks like leftover Flash scraps to me), and every episode I saw being basically a go nowhere plot.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
flying_whimsy said:
Also, I wonder how they'll fill in for Mako.
They'll probably cast Greg Baldwin, who took over the role of Uncle Iroh after Mako passed away.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
RJ Dalton said:
Samtemdo8 said:
RJ Dalton said:
chadachada123 said:
RJ Dalton said:

I'd like to keep arguing, but . . . well, I watched like three whole episodes and saw only occasional clips of the rest and it never struck me as anything more than "meh," so I really can't go into any fine details. All I remember was not finding the animation all that impressive (although that scene with the black and white suggests the visuals were better than I remember, though the animation still looks like leftover Flash scraps to me), and every episode I saw being basically a go nowhere plot.
Have a look at the top 10 episodes of Samurai Jack according to this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4jw61j9O-w

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Ohh, I hope this does well, not just for the sake of Jack fans, but for Symbionic Titan too. If Tartakovsky can knock this one out of the park, they might let him finish that up too.