Jack Thompson Given Freedom Award

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
Justified or not, this award is going to reinflate his ego, which is quite annoying because being disbarred should have been the thing to finally get him out of our hair. Now he'll be even more determined to carry on his little crusade despite this.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Digikid said:
Are you NUTS?!?!!?!?!?

*Throws Sera off CN Tower with Jack* :D
Now now... that's not fair to the poor people on Front Street, making them have to rinse Jacko-bits off their windows, is it?

-- Steve

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
First of all, hippo, we all know what Thompson's done, and we get why this is so ironic.

As for the actual event, all I can say is that I've never really heard of the award before, so no skin off my back. It's not like he got TIME's 'Person of the Year' award or something...

Oh, and:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Why can't the man get behind banning acts of filth that we all agree need to be taken off, like Big Brother?
This would be so much more constructive, since Big Brother is rated lower than video games for the same things. Why can't people face the real problems and stop looking for the scapegoat...

Dec 1, 2007
sammyfreak post=7.62878.536127 said:
What is up with you people? A conservative organisation gives a conservative lawyer an award for something they se as positive and you guys talk about it like it is the end of the world. Im glad that the internet is filled with open-minded people who can respect others.
Because the man is downright nasty. They are only awarding this to him because of partisanship and "fuck everything the other party supports" stubbornness.
It's the same reason Ann Coulter wrote a book defending McCarthy.

Like how I'd find it disgusting to award a humanitarian metal to people who advocate blowing up factories to stop global warming.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
*sigh*

This disapoints me a little. I didn't know what to expect, but I wasn't expecting a bunch of people to be conceving various means of tourture for the man. I thought most of us were more mature than that.

Grow up. He won an award and he deserves it. He's fought for what he belives in, and fought pretty goddamn hard. And yes, he's stepped over the line quite a few times, but it's what he belives in, and he obviously belives he deserves it. If it were a police officer busting a drug lord, the man would be a hero, and you people would be bitching about how he took away your crack.

Also, I belive the "Freedom" is reprisentitve of the freedom of "Good Christian Families" not to have to put up with what they belive is smut. Whether or not it is smut is a pointless argument and a moot point.

Also, how hypocritical is it of all of you (with a few noteworthy exceptions) to be going on about how he doesn't respect your point of view when you obviously don't respect his, or any of his peers? Open your heads a little.

Apologies Abound.

Dec 1, 2007
The_Logician19 post=7.62878.759913 said:
Grow up. He won an award and he deserves it. He's fought for what he belives in, and fought pretty goddamn hard. And yes, he's stepped over the line quite a few times, but it's what he belives in, and he obviously belives he deserves it. If it were a police officer busting a drug lord, the man would be a hero, and you people would be bitching about how he took away your crack.
Uh, no.

We'd be bitching about how he shot 8 people who got in his way to the bust, busted a completely wrong house, and then continued to enact a personnel vendetta against those who he'd falsely busted.
And he does this every god damn month.
To the degree other cops where like "Ya, pack that shit in. Enough's enough".

NOTE: There is standing up for your beliefs, and then there's viciousness, underhanded tactics, and outright lying. Thompson crossed that line years ago, and if you weren't so intent to play the offended angel, you'd see it.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Also, I belive the "Freedom" is reprisentitve of the freedom of "Good Christian Families" not to have to put up with what they belive is smut. Whether or not it is smut is a pointless argument and a moot point.
If so, then Freedom is indeed Slavery... my slavery, in service of their "freedom" to force me to serve their sense of morality instead of my own.

If I want them to dictate my choices then I'd join their bluddy cult, wouldn't I?

-- Steve

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Imitation Saccharin post=7.62878.759924 said:
Uh, no.

We'd be bitching about how he shot 8 people who got in his way to the bust, busted a completely wrong house, and then continued to enact a personnel vendetta against those who he'd falsely busted.

NOTE: There is standing up for your beliefs, and then there's viciousness, underhanded tactics, and outright lying. Thompson crossed that line years ago, and if you weren't so intent to play the offended angel, you'd see it.
There's a difference between disagreeing with someone and being an immature pup. How is you not being able to see the difference any different than him doing the same?

He crossed the line, yes, many, many times, and did some terrible things, but he's done a lot for these people's cause. I disagree with him deserving the award, and with the premise of it in general, but I would do so respectfully. I wouldn't come up with some sort of half-baked tourture ideas that wouldn't work.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Anton P. Nym post=7.62878.759956 said:
If so, then Freedom is indeed Slavery... my slavery, in service of their "freedom" to force me to serve their sense of morality instead of my own.

If I want them to dictate my choices then I'd join their bluddy cult, wouldn't I?

-- Steve
I didn't say it was right or that I agreed with it, just that it is very likely their point of view.

I don't apreciate having words put in my mouth.

Apologies for the confusion.

Dec 1, 2007
The_Logician19 post=7.62878.759968 said:
There's a difference between disagreeing with someone and being an immature pup. How is you not being able to see the difference any different than him doing the same?
Because the options suggested here have all been facetious.

Comparatively, he is from what I can tell entirely serious when he calls up people's mothers and says their sons are mass murderers.

but he's done a lot for these people's cause.
Like WHAT?

I disagree with him deserving the award, and with the premise of it in general, but I would do so respectfully. I wouldn't come up with some sort of half-baked tourture ideas that wouldn't work.
So you've never vented to your friends or other such hyperbole?
If so, again, you are a very strange man.

Jul 9, 2008
Capo Taco post=7.62878.542122 said:
Copter400... that is a great idea! But let's go one step further.... let's build it under the water! It can be done with modern technology!
hell, if Bioshock's to be believed, we can use old 60's tech for it.

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz post=7.62878.535794 said:
...words escape me, give me a moment.

Now I know how Lewis Black felt when he saw those two Starbucks. I mean, an organization with the word "Freedom" in the title giving a man an award for advocating censorship? Gigantic WTF
QFT

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Imitation Saccharin post=7.62878.760006 said:
I disagree with him deserving the award, and with the premise of it in general, but I would do so respectfully. I wouldn't come up with some sort of half-baked tourture ideas that wouldn't work.
So you've never vented to your friends or other such hyperbole?
If so, again, you are a very strange man.
Enough so that it scares some people, yes.

mrnelsby

Aug 6, 2008
It's like the "patriot" act. Just because you put a bullpoop word in front of something evil doesn't suddenly make it good.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
He totally deserved this award, don't you people see? Your thinking of it as an award for giving and protecting freedom BUT THAT'S NOT IT! It's about taking freedom. Since he's taking freedom from others, he has more himself. This award is given to those who horde others freedom. At least that's the only way this makes sense.