Jack Thompson Joins EA Acquisition Effort

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jack Thompson Joins EA Acquisition Effort

Jack Thompson has thrown his weight behind Take-Two Games [http://www.ea.com], hoping his influence will provide the one final push needed to get the deal done.

shareholder [http://www.take2games.com/]himself since 2005, is reportedly dissatisfied with the company's performance and direction under current chairman Strauss Zelnick.

"I am delighted to work with Electronic Arts to evict the Zelnick Trojan Horse from within Take-Two's corporate walls. In doing so, I can get the new Take-Two into the clear as to the trouble I and others can send its way," Thompson wrote as part of his surprise offer of assistance. "Zelnick is the source of trouble headed Take-Two's way, not I, and EA can make the case, with my help, that such trouble can be avoided."

Neither Zelnick nor Riccitiello have thus far commented on Thompson's unexpected entry into EA's $2 billion acquisition offer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81720] for Take-Two.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Wait, the man who hates GTA over all things on earth is a Take-Two shareholder?

And he realy thinks that he will be helpfull for EA?

Nutter i say, nutter.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Suddenly, I find my neutrality on the subject slipping away... TT's board has very little to brag about, yes, and shareholders have a right to be disappointed with their performance. But if Jack thinks it's a good idea to sell out to EA, maybe it's time to take a closer look at the ramifications of a takeover.

-- Steve

The Treasoner

Mar 3, 2008
I think this guy's under investigation now, let's hope it uncovers what a scumbag he is and he gets disbarred and dishonored.

As for EA, they can suck it. EA Games: PURCHASE EVERYTHING!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
By all reports, Thompson made a token purchase of Take-Two stock (possibly as little as a single stock) so he could go to Take-Two shareholder meetings and scream at Zelnick. (Apparently he hasn't done so yet, but he could if he wanted to.)

Watershed

Dec 10, 2007
He's a Take-Two shareholder? Tell me you're joking. He's completely insane isn't he? I'm going to go lie down. Trying to comprehend this new information is giving me a migraine.

The Treasoner

Mar 3, 2008
Red Shadow said:
He's a Take-Two shareholder? Tell me you're joking. He's completely insane isn't he? I'm going to go lie down. Trying to comprehend this new information is giving me a migraine.
The worst part is, far too much of America KNOWS this, yet they still let him spoon-feed them bullshit.

The Treasoner

Mar 3, 2008
Kwil said:
If you want to change what a company does, becoming a shareholder makes sense. It lets you know where and when they hold their annual meetings, allows you to have a voice and perhaps even a vote on where the company is going, and keeps you informed on all of the companies major dealings at the company's expense.

It's actually a fairly standard practice in activism against corporations. Your single share can end up costing the company a lot more than it makes them.
There's context to consider though.

Thompson believes games are this evil weapon from Satan designed to destroy mankind. He thinks gamemakers and players are evil.

Yet he throws them his wallet? This is like someone condemning Terrorism then joining a terrorist group in the hopes of changing it.

Talisker

Jan 31, 2008
Surely he's too much of a liability, especialy for a games company.

Unless..... He gets big share in Take Two, comes out with an outcry over a new game as it's released, controversy generates publicity, people buy the game, Thompson makes a mint on high value stock.

The man could be an evil genius.....

Just a thought.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Talisker said:
Surely he's too much of a liability, especialy for a games company.

Unless..... He gets big share in Take Two, comes out with an outcry over a new game as it's released, controversy generates publicity, people buy the game, Thompson makes a mint on high value stock.

The man could be an evil genius.....

Just a thought.
Crazy stuff! :D

His latest acts didn't make much sense to my eyes, and you remember his friendly letter to Kotaku on Mass effect [http://kotaku.com/349423/jack-thompson-defends-mass-effect] some time ago, and how he swapped hats?

I'd say he knows that with EA, chances are that there would be more money to make. It's not a stupid plan at all, and would actually explains the completely fantasist position he's been holding.
Arguments not making sense, over the top, foolish, generating a maximum of publicity around games... just a facade, and it's not easy to mimic folly.

Motives: Ego and money?
Having your name made big in the news is always a good basis to find a way to generate money in a way or another. A big name still has some value at some point.
Controversy leads to attention, which leads to exposure, thus his name is a news hit by itself, and it's even more easy to generate even more controversy. Therefore, when he does attack games published by Take Two, he's sure to generate a shit load of controversy which won't go unnoticed, and the game gets a sales boost, because controversy for such games do favour revenue.
Thompson knows how to exploit sins.

I mean, come on, he can go to Take Two's meetings, but what will he achieve? Unless he has a major stock of options, the only real thing he can get is money. More money in fact.
You think it doesn't make sense?

Look at Jack Thompson's favorite targets:

Grand Theft Auto series. Take Two.
Manhunt series. Take Two.
Bully. Rockstar Games (Take Two).
Sims 2. Electronic Arts. (Oh, the surprise, probably the only recent game from EA which he could attack because of disputable ethics.)
Bioshock. Take Two.

He's been keeping an eye [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.53783] on the company's shares.
And thus we see that this kind of mise en scene [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=24344] was pure bullshit.
So either Thompson is smart and stupid (LaRouche kind of stupid), still having largely unfounded gripes against video games, but thought that by selling a part of his soul to the devil, he could make money, or he's downright smart, and... has sold his whole soul to the devil anyway, but doesn't believe at all in what he says, and is not an activist, just a man standing between genius and crazy.

What's his Sith tag again?