Jack Thompson Recommended For Permanent Disbarment

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jack Thompson Recommended For Permanent Disbarment

The night is growing darker for Jack Thompson: The judge in his misconduct hearing has recommended he be disbarred for life and slapped with some pretty hefty legal costs in the bargain.

We talk a lot about Jack sometimes, and maybe we give him a little too much attention when he kicks up a fuss, but with his career as an attorney apparently winding down it's worth documenting the final, spectacular flameout of one of gaming's most strident and high-profile critics. The official recommendation from Judge Dava Tunis, based on a hearing held in March, recommends Thompson be disbarred permanently, with no opportunity to apply for reinstatement, and also that he be penalized a minimum of $43,675.35 in legal costs.

The harsh recommendation came in the form of a 169-page document, described by Tunis as "atypically detailed and extensive," but also necessary due to "the number of separate complaints and Rule violations alleged, the period of time involved and the volume of evidence presented which spans over two decades." The reasons behind Tunis' decision are varied and many, but most come down to Thompson's irrational and self-aggrandizing antics both in and out of the courtroom, and his flat, longstanding refusal to modify his behavior. Tunis refers to numerous statements made by Thompson to various judges and other individuals, including gems like telling Judge Ronald Friedman, "You're the kind of guy who would wave into an intersection a child to be run over by a semi," and thanking Judge James Moore for "setting such a low standard of public morals." Judge Tunis herself comes in for some choice commentary from Thompson, who recently called her a "wild woman" and suggested she was mentally impaired [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84887].

Tunis said the Thompson issue didn't involve any single "isolated incident" but was instead a matter of "cumulative misconduct, a repeated pattern of behavior relentlessly forced upon numerous unconnected individuals, a total lack of remorse or even slight acknowledgment of inappropriate conduct, and continued behavior consistent with the previous public reprimand." Thompson's actions over the course of the proceedings were also taken into consideration as an aggravating factor; Tunis said Thompson is essentially beyond rehabilitation, and fails to "even remotely appreciate the basis upon which a need or purpose for such rehabilitation is warranted."

"Over a very extended period of time involving a number of totally unrelated cases and individuals, the Respondent has demonstrated a pattern of conduct to strike out harshly, extensively, repeatedly and willfully to simply try to bring as much difficulty, distraction and anguish to those he considers in opposition to his causes," she continued. "He does not proceed within the guidelines of appropriate professional behavior, but rather uses other means available to intimidate, harass, or bring public disrepute to those whom he perceives oppose him."

Thompson's final fate won't be decided until September, but based on Tunis' thorough and unwavering assessment and recommendation, it seems very likely that his career as an attorney is over. Where he goes after that is anyone's guess, although he has implied in the past that the withdrawal of his license to practice law would have no bearing on his anti-videogame crusade. While he could no doubt find like-minded audiences for his efforts against the industry, his lack of wider credibility in the wake of a permanent disbarment would leave him almost completely marginalized.

It's long and legal but still kind of fun, so anyone who wants to read Judge Dava Tunis' recommendation of a permanent disbarment for Jack Thompson in its entirety may download the document, in PDF format, here [http://media.libsyn.com/media/gamepolitics/Corrected_Final_Report_of_Referee-Thompson.pdf].

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/07/09/we-have-judge039s-report-recommending-permanent-disbarment-jack-thompson]

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
It's long past time that this blemish on the legal profession was removed. JT was an appallingly bad lawyer, whether you agree with his stance on censorship or not, and his numerous mistakes in court and his many deliberate bad acts reflected poorly on the Bar and the American court system as a whole. Judge Tunis' decision is probably the only one that reflects any dignity back upon the court.

So much for my attempt at an unbiased stance. Now, as a gamer... (*terrorist fist-jab with fellow gamers*)

-- Steve

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Call me pessimistic, but I have a feeling a Jack Thomson 2.0 will come as soon as this one is thrown out.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Son of a *****, took you guys this long to make the recommendation?

SilentHunter7 said:
Call me pessimistic, but I have a feeling a Jack Thomson 2.0 will come as soon as this one is thrown out.
Shhhh, don't jinx it.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
that made me giggle, who would have thunk that saying the judge has no power and other nasty things would cause them to recommend permanent disbarment?

the sad part is if he's disbarred he will just go on fox news as a legal commentator :|

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I'm sure it will, but in a broader sense that will be their downfall as well as his legacy. Anyone who pushes the issues in the same way he did (2.0, as it were) will be compared to him by the community, and being compared to a disgraced bumbling idiot is never a good thing.

Jack did us all a favor by having this melt down while thinking that he was untouchable due to his standing amongst the "moral elite". Let's all stand by and watch his swan song with glee.

*Fist jab*

fat american

Apr 2, 2008
I wonder if he ever had to deal with a case or he just had a law degree so it would look pretty on his wall.

Any way, nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hay hay hay, goodbye.

Edit: any violence toward the JT machine by gamers will just give his dark soul more coal for the fire. It's too much fun to pass up though.

*kick to peanut sized balls*

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
So, the US justice system does work... /jk

It's good to finally hear that this propaganda machine, masquerading as a lawyer, has been put to rest. Who knows, he may come back in his in-human, ultimate form... then we'll need either a rag-tag bunch of angsty teenagers (of course showing us the power of friendship/love) or one lone Marine drowning in ammo casings to save the day. Or Gordon Freeman.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Everyone in Florida, hit the decks!! He's about to go into his death throes!!

EDIT: Seriously, I just picture the melting scene from The Wizard of Oz when I read this

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I guess this cheers me up a little after hearing about Fallout. One down, (X number) to go!

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
HalfShadow said:
Jack Thompson reminds me of Jesus Christ: I refuse to believe he exists and I'd like to see him nailed to a tree.
? That comment could be taken poorly by certain parties. Namely the roughly 2 billion believers in Jesus Christ. ?

Not to mention your active desire to NAIL HIM TO A TREE.

I mean jesus that's pretty messed up.

Severus Ape

Jun 24, 2008
Where he goes after that is anyone's guess, although he has implied in the past that the withdrawal of his license to practice law would have no bearing on his anti-videogame crusade. While he could no doubt find like-minded audiences for his efforts against the industry, his lack of wider credibility in the wake of a permanent disbarment would leave him almost completely marginalized.
No doubt Thompson'll become an anti-video game consultant for any group with the selection bias to see him as a martyr. Having him sanctioned professionally is great, and severely sanctioned is wonderful; but as a freelancer he won't be accountable to anyone?I mean, beyond self-respect and common human decency, but he's obviously given me no reason to expect that. And certainly there are enough baseless outlets out there, let's say FOX News, willing enough to set him in front of a microphone and goad him on. But then who can yank his leash? Disgrace is deserved and welcomed but I'd like to see him continue to be under someone's thumb, so that part of his career can't be ignored or forgotten, and he can still get a good professional spanking now and then.

li0nh34r7

Jul 10, 2008
actually jesus is proven they have records of his trial but thats besides the point i hope jack thompson gets the worst they can give

iamnotincompliance

Apr 23, 2008
fat american said:
Any way, nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hay hay hay, goodbye.
It's a losing battle convincing people of this, but I must try. It's wa-a-ave. Wave drawn out to three syllables. Otherwise, my sentiments exactly.

stompy said:
So, the US justice system does work... /jk
Now, now, he hasn't been disbarred yet. I have enough faith in the American justice system to accept the possibility the even though this should have happened long ago, he may just get off scot-free. But the fact that a judge has had enough of his bullshit to finally do something about it, it enough to make me raise my glass... err, aluminum can... to the possibility.

cleverlymadeup said:
the sad part is if he's disbarred he will just go on fox news as a legal commentator :|

DAMMIT! That would happen, wouldn't it? And then...

SilentHunter7 said:
I don't call that pessimism. I call that a given. I'm not entirely sure why Jack 2.0 hasn't come along already. Well, at least there ought to be a couple of days between Jack 1.0 being disbarred and hired by Fox (or CNN), and Jack 2.0 coming along, so to that, I again raise my aluminum can and make a toast.

To a couple of days of peace. They can't come soon enough.

Kshandamionreal

Mar 5, 2008
I know how the phrase "LOL" is said just to acknowledge a funny joke, but I literally burst out laughing while reading that and it goes to show you that this wasn't some anti-video game nutjob, this was a WIDELY known nutjob that could piss you off whether you were a gamer, gay, Muslim, a liberal, a judge, anybody who wasn't as bible-thumpingly psychotic as him or even any permutation of the above.

The eventuality of Jacky-boy buddying up with Fox News doesn't bother me because its expected when you consider Ann Coulter is already among them and she's gone on record mocking 9/11 widows, so really its just one more loony for the loony bin. Besides, NO sane person takes Fox News seriously.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
HalfShadow said:
Jack Thompson reminds me of Jesus Christ: I refuse to believe he exists and I'd like to see him nailed to a tree.
You don't believe he exists but you but you wanna see him nailed to a tree? wtf? That doesn't work.