Jack Thompson Threatens a Comeback

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

It's the one-year anniversary of Jack Thompson's permanent disbarment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86463-Jack-Thompson-Disbarred-UPDATED] and to celebrate the occasion, the disgraced former attorney has announced his imminent return to the practice of law.

It's been awhile since we've had any news from Thompson, the game-hating ex-lawyer who was permanently disbarred by the Florida Supreme Court for his crazy antics and gross misconduct both in and out of the courtroom. While he fought loud and long against the decision, he was ultimately forced to throw in the towel. Or so we thought.

But now, after several months of relative silence, he's back! Thompson sent an email to GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2009/09/25/one-year-ago-today] last week in which he claimed that, thanks to a technical error, he was never actually disbarred at all. "The Florida Supreme Court, in violation of the laws of Florida assigned to Thompson's case a referee from Florida's Eleventh Judicial Circuit, rather than from the state's Second Judicial Circuit, where he would have received a fair trial. Bar counsel hid this fatal defect not only from Thompson but from the Florida Supreme Court as well," he wrote. "What this means is that Thompson literally was never disbarred."

As a result, Thompson said he's going to re-hang his shingle on October 1 and has actually dared Mary Ellen Bateman, who's responsible for prosecuting the "unlicensed practice of law" on behalf of the Florida Supreme Court, to try to stop him. "Unless she acts, he's back in business," he continued, "and the children of this country will have returned to them the lawyerly labors of a man who... forced Grand Theft Auto: Vice City [http://www.take2games.com/], which cost Take-Two tens of millions of dollars."

I have absolutely no idea if Thompson's argument has any merit to it, but given his near-delusional behavior as his law career went up in smoke, I rather doubt it. Furthermore, GamePolitics said it asked "a few members of the legal community" to have a look at his argument and the general consensus is that Thompson "doesn't really have a leg to stand on."

It's less a question of the merits of his argument, then, and more a bet on whether Thompson just goes ahead and starts playing lawyer again anyway - and what will happen if he does. My inclination, based on his many past promises to rain down fire and destruction which ultimately came to naught, is that October 1 will pass quietly; but you better believe I'll be watching, just in case.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
This guy lost all credibility when he went after Bully without actually looking at the game. Yeah, my deadly POTATO GUN is really just like Columbine...

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
quack35 said:
Welcome back, Jack. We missed you so much.
*The following is to be said in a creepy monotone.*

Yes, Mr. Thompson. We've been waiting for you...

OT: He better not mess with any games that I want.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I'll also be watching. This guy needs to go away. No one likes him. No one will ever like him. He should just do what all other elderly people do... Go and live in a home.

[sup]What? Did you think I was gonna say die? You're a monster.[/sup]

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Wait, I thought San Andreas had the recall due to the Hot Coffee spiel.

Oh Thompson... Some people just don't know when to quit.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
There is only one thing to do:

Hopefully he is just spouting steam.
I hope.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Even if there was a mishap in the system they'll just... Wait, shit double jeopardy.

Well welcome back Jack I'm sure everyone in the courts will take you even more seriously now that you are having a triumphant return.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
If a man is declared insane, but a technicality in the paperwork prevents him from being put in the psych ward, it doesn't make him any less insane.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Well he's persistent, I'll give him that.

[small]Persistent like a cockroach.[/small]

Hoppetussa

Sep 24, 2008
TheTygerfire said:
This guy lost all credibility when he went after Bully without actually looking at the game. Yeah, my deadly POTATO GUN is really just like Columbine...
One of our text books in 8th grade blamed the Columbine incident on Video Games. It was just a normal text about it, but out of nowhere, it just said "Yeah, and they played Doom in their spare time." It was so random.

OT: It's been awhile, Jack. The fight continues...

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
I never heard of this Jack before but after reading this part.
Malygris said:

As a result, Thompson said he's going to re-hang his shingle on October 1 and has actually dared Mary Ellen Bateman, who's responsible for prosecuting the "unlicensed practice of law" on behalf of the Florida Supreme Court, to try to stop him. "Unless she acts, he's back in business," he continued, "and the children of this country will have returned to them the lawyerly labors of a man who... forced Grand Theft Auto: Vice City [http://www.take2games.com/], which cost Take-Two tens of millions of dollars."
I say no one will be glad to hear yet another idiot has come into power. >_<

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Malygris said:
Since I finally played GTA4, I have a comment about that image. He does realize that the main moral lessons of GTA4 are that the criminal life sucks ass, drugs and drunk driving will get you killed, and that the glorification of gang life is retarded? Seriously, there's enough material in that game to write a ten-page paper just on that alone.

Oh wait, I forgot: he never played the game.

I can't wait for him to try and get back into law, only to instantly get shut down.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Just when you thought it was safe to go back to a GameStop... Here comes Jack on his high horse telling everyone the evil's of video games...

Can't he just get a job as a Wal-Mart greeter? =)