Jack Thompson Threatens Gabe Newell Over School Shooter Mod

Sux2bu

Mar 4, 2010
*Facepalm*

It's not the people who make the game, it's the socially deprived 'special' people in the community that make the mod without super vision or permission from ValvE or any other company.

Dear god this guy is a stuck up prick!

ekkaman

Feb 19, 2009
GOVERN YOURSELF ACCORDINGLY.

Not a bad saying.

And for people saying the old it is not the people that make the game ect. This time your wrong the people that made this mod are morally corrupted. Just read what they have to say about their game, and really gaming journalists should not let people who make this crap get away with it so easy.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
RanD00M said:
Didn't Jacky lose his lawyer rights in '09? Or something like that which made it so he can't attack the video gaming industry publicly. So isn't he breaking the law by doing this?
Unfortunately, this wasn't a public attack. It was a letter.

I wish he'd just shut the hell up for a month.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Good Lord he's right! I never realized it but it has come full circle hasn't it? We now have an actual murder simulator involving a school massacre! What the hell people? Why would you PROVE JACK THOMPSON RIGHT?

I have nothing against the man really but dammit when he's right on a subject surrounding video games it's never good.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
If I were a game designer, I'd count a threatening letter from Ol' Jacko as a badge of merit. Reading it just made me laugh over and over. There is so much wrong with it I can't even begin to point them out. I'll just say that for someone who used to enforce the law, he certainly shrugs off the need for evidence and is completely oblivious to the difference between opinion and fact. Not to mention pulling things right out of the air.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Dudes got guts for someone with no standing, zero leverage, and nothing important that needs to be added... Wait, thats not guts, its stupidity.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I had no idea Jack Thompson wrote like a complete douchebag as well.

Jesus, that guy switches between uninformed hyperbole and verbally jerking himself off like no other.

rushgus

Dec 29, 2009
Gabe newell doesnt have any control over the modding community. Wouldnt jack thompson be involved with the "BULLETSTORM ENCOURAGES RAPE" thing?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I hope this gave Gabe a good chuckle. Although I think that people like Jack Thompson should be largely ignored. You know, pay him just enough attention that he thinks he's making an impact, while the rest of the world moves on

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Sooo.... he now spents his time writing angry letters at much more important, much more succesfull people ?
Well, it´s not like he has anything else to do anymore, I suppose, after hilariously failing at his job.

Pro tip, Thompson: People tend to be taken more seriously, if their entire life isn´t a single, gigantic failure.

Oh, yeah, on a more personal note.
Keep your insanity to your own f*cking country. I don´t think anyone in Germany appreciates you using a national tragedy as a misguided argument in your idiotic ramblings.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
believer258 said:
5 pages and not a single "Gabe's fat" joke yet! That's got to be a record or something!
Lemme fix that for you! Let's see...hmm...I need something to compare what Jack's trying to achieve against Gabe and make a fat reference in there somewhere. Hmmmmmmm...

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
A: Yes, the School Shooter mod is extremely tasteless and very, very stupid, but it falls under free speech (just like all the rest of gaming), and I don't think Valve has any authority to close out an independent modding project.

B: Forget being disbarred. How the Hell did someone like Jack Thompson ever pass the bar in the first place?

C: Jack Thompson is and always has been nothing more than a troll. Maybe worse than that; he isn't even doing it for the lulz! I'm not sure why he's doing it, but what's clear is that he's doing it wrong, and the best thing we can do is ignore him.

hannan4mitch

Jan 19, 2010
Despite my lack of experience in the field of psychology, I can still firmly place my bets that Jack's sanity went down the crapper, like his professional career, after being disbarred.

Not to mention, does he know that a) Valve can't really control modders, b) his letters hold no weight due to his lack of lawyer...ness (I think that works) and c) if he tries to take this to court, any judge would promptly throw him out on his ass.

Cool Welshy

Mar 15, 2011
Well, you got to admit, this mod is a bad taste for the people who died in Virginia Tech and other school shootings.

BUT Jack shouldn't rag on about it "encouraging" students to do these acts. That's just ridiculous.

Freemon

Nov 18, 2009
Like... does this guy know how mods work?

Does this mean I can write a terrorist plan on the back cover of a document or a book he wrote and then accuse him of supporting terrorist acts? Because... that's basically what he's going for.

Hang on... that's actually a pretty decent idea. Does anyone has anything written by this guy?