Jackass, SNL, Top Gear Stars to Play The Stooges

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Jackass, SNL, Top Gear Stars to Play The Stooges

Johnny Knoxville, Andy Samberg, and Shane Jacobson are on the shortlist to star in the upcoming Three Stooges.

20th Century Fox is still trying to cast its Three Stooges project. Rumor was the frontrunners included Benicio del Toro, Sean Penn, and Jim Carrey, but the latter two actors dropped out of the project. The most recent proposed cast puts Johnny Knoxville, Andy Samberg, and Shane Jacobson in the roles of the iconic trio.

Knoxville is best known for his appearances in the Jackass television show and films, as well as his roles in the films The Dukes of Hazzard and The Ringer. Samberg is currently a cast member of both Saturday Night Live and The Lonely Island comedy troupe. Jacobson's filmography includes starring roles in Kenny and Charlie & Boots, as well as a gig co-hosting Top Gear Australia.

Peter and Bobby Farrelly are directing the project from a script they co-wrote with Me, Myself & Irene's Mike Cerrone, and the keeper of the Stooges' estate will be on hand to executive produce. TheWrap reports that the project will have an unusual format, as "the plan is to divide the PG-rated film into three, 27-minute segments driven by physical comedy." Whatever the final cast, Three Stooges is set to go into production on March 14, with a release date yet to be scheduled.

Source: TheWrap [http://www.thewrap.com/deal-central/column-post/exclusive-johnny-knoxville-andy-samberg-shane-jacobson-three-stooges-short-?page=0,0]

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
To Jim Carrey: That weight gain was worth it, huh?

Edit: Just figured out he quit a while back because of the weight gain.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Bah, misleading title. Top Gear Australia...

So, not Top Gear at all, amiright?
Yeah quite misleading. That said having the proper Top Gear presentors do the three stooges sounds quite hilarious. (How hard can it be?)

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
That's actually kinda disappointing, I'd rather see Carrey, del Toro and Penn play the stooges.
Oh well.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
All for Knoxville and Samberg, no idea on the last one though. Don't even know who he is.

Dec 14, 2009
Wieke said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Yeah quite misleading. That said having the proper Top Gear presentors do the three stooges sounds quite hilarious. (How hard can it be?)
Nah, the Stooges are too American to be done by our Top Gear lads. To be honest, they're our equivalent already.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
No. No, no, no, no, no. You do not reboot/remake the Stooges. You do not do this, and certainly not with the guy from "Jackass". Seriously. What the heck is wrong with you people thinking you can ape off the legends of slapstick? Shame on you.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Wieke said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Nah, the Stooges are too American to be done by our Top Gear lads. To be honest, they're our equivalent already.
I don't know that I could picture Clarkeson as any of the three of them except maybe Moe, but even then, the mighty Hamster just doesn't seem to fit as either Larry or Curly to me...

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
Please, just no. Some things should only exist in their previous formats. Please don't reboot this.

Dec 14, 2009
TheDarkestDerp said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Wieke said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I don't know that I could picture Clarkeson as any of the three of them except maybe Moe, but even then, the mighty Hamster just doesn't seem to fit as either Larry or Curly to me...
It would never work anyway, Top Gear revolves around funny wordplay/insults, not slapstick comedy. That stuff is too physical for our lads.

Feb 13, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Wieke said:
Daystar Clarion said:

You can see it though...

Curly, Moe, Larry

But this is gonna be atrocious. Zoidberg and David Addison (Bruce Willis) have already done Curly as well as he's every going to be done; and the violent slapstick that's their trademark simply won't be allowed. With Knoxville, there's a chance, but it just won't be the Stooges.

It'd be like trying to do the Marx Brothers with Penn and Teller....

Hold on...

BRB, calling Hollywood.

Oct 14, 2010
This project sounds painful; not like Three Stooges slapstick, but like every fiber of this film's existence will cause actual physical and emotional pain to anyone within its sphere of influence.

Apr 28, 2008
The Three Stooges were one of a kind(or 3 of a kind...), please, just let them lie. It just won't be the same. It won't have the same charm. It'll just crap all over the memory of the Stooges.

This really makes me sad.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Wieke said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Isn't that just what they do anyway? James is the straight man, Jeremy is the fool and Richard is the other one.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Irridium said:
The Three Stooges were one of a kind(or 3 of a kind...), please, just let them lie. It just won't be the same. It won't have the same charm. It'll just crap all over the memory of the Stooges.

6, there six Stooges over the years. Moe was the only Stooge to be in it across the board. Larry joined the Vaudville show 3 years after Moe and Shemp were with Ted Healy.

The Great JT said:
I'm glad the Stooges aren't alive to see this...
There was a second troupe of Stooges that performed in the 1970's that didn't have any of the original actors in it. I really don't think they would care.

Apr 28, 2008
sheic99 said:
Irridium said:

6, there six Stooges over the years. Moe was the only Stooge to be in it across the board. Larry joined the Vaudville show 3 years after Moe and Shemp were with Ted Healy.
Oh really? Huh. I knew about Shemp, but didn't know about Ted.