Jaffe Explains His Twisted Metal Lie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Jaffe Explains His Twisted Metal Lie

Excited about the Twisted Metal announcement? David Jaffe explains why he said that it wasn't happening.

David Jaffe spent the last few months denying [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100889-David-Jaffe-Not-Working-on-PS3-Twisted-Metal] that his studio Eat Sleep Play was working on a new Twisted Metal game, even going as far as to say that analyst Michael Pachter was "joking [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101010-Jaffe-Says-Twisted-Metal-Reveal-Was-A-Joke]" when he announced the game on his Pach Attack show. But as Sony's E3 Press Conference came to a close, the new Twisted Metal game was revealed and all those comments were exposed as lies.

So why did go to such lengths to make people think the game wasn't coming? Well, he says it was to recapture some of the magic of E3s of the past: "[E3] used to be about surprises. And it used to be you'd come and you didn't know what you were going to find on the show floor and that was a big part of the fun and you walk from booth to booth and you just discover stuff," he said.

"And the last, I don't know, four or five years everything gets either announced or leaked before and I was just like ... Sony called about four months ago and said, 'Let's make Twisted a surprise and let's close the show with it' ... I was like, 'Hell yeah! Let's do that.' But it kind of necessitated being kind of sneaky about it. To me giving fans an actual genuine E3 surprise was more valuable to me than sort of being totally honest when people ask me questions."

So yes, Jaffe lied, but it was the same kind of lie as telling someone you're not throwing them a surprise party when they catch you on the phone with the balloon wholesaler. That's the kind of lie I can forgive.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/22/david-jaffe-explains-why-he-lied-about-twisted-metal/]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I think it's mostly because he enjoys f**king with people's minds, but that's just me. Do you think there is any chance of it being released as a Ps3 bundle? I might pick one up if it came to that :)

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
This really is a nice surprise as well, after hearing about it and seeing the trailer for it I started playing one of my Twisted Metal Games.
I can`t wait to get my hands on this one.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Well it certainly brought a smile to my face. Thanks for that Jaffe! ^^

Calumon: No-one can keep secrets anymore. :p

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, I cant blame them for it...why have E3 if your not going to showcase stuf there first hand.

Well, its announced now, so people who were upset can quit bellyaching

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
So yes, Jaffe lied, but it was the same kind of lie as telling someone you're not throwing them a surprise party when they catch you on the phone with the balloon wholesaler. That's the kind of lie I can forgive.
Good comparison!
Yeah, I can accept a lie for the benefit of others.

Good on him.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I agree with him to an extent, every E3 can usually be predicted, new Zelda, new Mario, new Gears, new Halo, 40,000 "new" FPS's. Nice to see that at least he's trying

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Why is everyone pissed off, this is how your mother always hid what you were getting for christmas and so on, and you don't think she is a a-hole do you?

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Because controversy is good! It's a shame that everyone knew he would announce it after the "lie" came out. I understand him keeping schtum, but when it was out he should have just announced it

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
I completely agree with what he did. It did make E3 more unpredictable, more fun, and for that I'm very grateful. Put some of the magic back in it.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I can understand lying about it like that, but why couldn't he have just done something else? Like not mentioning it? I'm really excited for this new Twisted Metal game and I'm absolutely going to buy it, but was the only way to keep it a surprise lying? You know on April Fool's Day, all the kids who were bad at it said stuff like, "Hey, I'm going to take you to Disney World with me! Just kidding! April Fools!" That's what this reminds me of.

Either way, though, I'm glad he wanted it to be a surprise and I'm glad that it was a surprise and I'm glad that he's making a new Twisted Metal.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
It was awesome. David Jaffe, you have earned even more respect than I though possible. The whole riding onto the stage in the ice cream truck thing was awesome.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
I can understand lying about it like that, but why couldn't he have just done something else? Like not mentioning it?
People asked HIM about it, he didn't mention it.

swolf

May 3, 2010
Hiphophippo said:
People that get mad over his "lie" are idiots.
Yeah, basically ^. Though I would think it would've been better for info not to be leaked in the first place. Then, he wouldn't have had to worry about it. At least, he didn't pull a South Park (April Fool's Joke a while back) and promise one thing and deliver another. For example, announcing a new Twisted Metal game but making it into an MMORPG.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
It was a bit of an awkward way to do it, but his heart was in the right place.

Besides, it's not like he owes anyone the truth about something like that.