Jaffe Explains His Twisted Metal Lie

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
swolf said:
Hiphophippo said:
People that get mad over his "lie" are idiots.
Yeah, basically ^. Though I would think it would've been better for info not to be leaked in the first place. Then, he wouldn't have had to worry about it. At least, he didn't pull a South Park (April Fool's Joke a while back) and promise one thing and deliver another. For example, announcing a new Twisted Metal game but making it into an MMORPG.
Kind of like Nintendo did? "Hey, so we're bringing back Donkey Kong Country! ...but, naturally, Rare isn't developing it."

swolf

May 3, 2010
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
swolf said:
Hiphophippo said:
People that get mad over his "lie" are idiots.
Yeah, basically ^. Though I would think it would've been better for info not to be leaked in the first place. Then, he wouldn't have had to worry about it. At least, he didn't pull a South Park (April Fool's Joke a while back) and promise one thing and deliver another. For example, announcing a new Twisted Metal game but making it into an MMORPG.
Kind of like Nintendo did? "Hey, so we're bringing back Donkey Kong Country! ...but, naturally, Rare isn't developing it."
Hmm, that reminds me of the sequels to Silent Hill not being made by Team Silent. That would be like...I don't know, remaking "Paranormal Activity" with CGI ghosts in the style of Ghostbusters...that sounds like a good parody. [youtube.com=watch?v=iF49zBMi5N0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF49zBMi5N0 Okay, so they weren't that bad...but they don't match up to the classic 4.

Apr 28, 2008
Its his creation, he can lie about it if he wants to.

I'm glad he did. Was one of the few actual surprises at E3, what with every game having its E3 trailer leaked everywhere.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
That wasn't really being sneaky, or at least it wasn't being very good at being sneaky. You shouldn't have to bold facedly lie, you shouldn't have to mention it at all. The best way to give us no idea it was coming out is to make us think you were working on another project.

Cucumber

Dec 9, 2008
Aww, how heartwarming. I've almost forgotten all about the surprises. aww, I can't stop smiling...

there's a special place in my <3 for those lies, that's for sure :3

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
Personally, I think more developers should do this. Forget announcing beforehand, I like surprises(even thought Valves "surprise" was a bit of a let down). I say we let Jaffe cover all game announcement leakage from now on, whether you're right or wrong, the answer is always "No"

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Kwil said:
Jaffe wasn't/isn't the problem, here. The problem here is twofold:

1. Michael Pachter is an idiot.
2. People listen to him.

Had either of those conditions not been true, this "problem" wouldn't have happened at all.
QFT

I still have yet to hear it explained why people listen to this guy. Who is he? Where did he come from? Why do we care?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
See, it would have been far more amusing if he ended the presentation with "Fear me, internet mortals, for I have created something without leaking it randomly to you, worship me or die you parasitic fuckers." That'd put all those people whining about him lying in their place (or maybe I just read too much Warren Ellis today).

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
It's nice to see some surprises in the industry. There are so many publications that are always ravenously hounding developers for new information every day, it's a wonder there are any surprises left at all.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
I can understand lying about it like that, but why couldn't he have just done something else? Like not mentioning it? I'm really excited for this new Twisted Metal game and I'm absolutely going to buy it, but was the only way to keep it a surprise lying? You know on April Fool's Day, all the kids who were bad at it said stuff like, "Hey, I'm going to take you to Disney World with me! Just kidding! April Fools!" That's what this reminds me of.

Either way, though, I'm glad he wanted it to be a surprise and I'm glad that it was a surprise and I'm glad that he's making a new Twisted Metal.
Because people were talking about it vehemently. Everyone was predicting him to make a new Twisted Metal game, as long as 1.5 years ago or so.

Pachter often talked about it and Geoff Keighley almost crucified Jaffe with constant, tongue in cheek questions about the game.

Jaffe was really convincing when he said he wasn't working on it. It made it a surprise again, atleast in my eyes.
DoW Lowen said:
White lie or no, video game Jesus is watching.
"Video games are art" Hippie Jesus will forgive Jaffe.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well... Duh. Did that lie really need to be explained? And I still don't get why anyone is mad at him in the first place. New Twisted Metal, stop bitching!

Also, I agree with Kwil and CyberKnight. Pachter needs to fuck off already.

Rect Pola said:
The best way to give us no idea it was coming out is to make us think you were working on another project.
Which is exactly what he did, as I recall. I believe he said "I'm working on some other project, but I wish I was working on Twisted Metal."

Let me see if I can find it, I know I read it here on The Escapist somewhere, so it shouldn't take too long.

EDIT: Okay nope, I remembered wrong. His words were "By the way, I WISH we were making a new Twisted Metal. Making game you've already worked on is tons easier cuz your core blueprint is." and from that it was just implied by others that he was working on something else. My apologies.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100889-David-Jaffe-Not-Working-on-PS3-Twisted-Metal

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Gotta agree with Jaffe. E3 is a shadow of it's former self because of all of the "leaks." I mean, when even the official E3 trailers for games are everyone on the web before E3 you know there's a problem.

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
He lied to keep the surprise? Oh noes we're all going to die in fiery doom. Oh wait... Good man that Mr. Jaffe. Surprises are nice at an event that should be full of them.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I don't care that he lied to keep the game under wraps. He's right, e3 is always so disappointing because (well, one of the reasons at least is because) all of the big announcements are leaked weeks before if not months before.

What I want to smack him in the head for is suggesting Bethesda make shorter games. I like their epic games the way they are.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Again, the guy has a point. I mean games are no longer surprise announcements. E3 and other conventions used to be "surprise parties", where big games are announced and seen for the first time.

Now, games are announced/hyped/leaked/whispered about fucking YEARS before they are actually released. I really miss some of the huge old titles, where there were actually no hype whatsoever before release, just *BOOM*, here, new awesome game, buy it, play it, it's ready now! Yes, there were games that got actually announced on release day, so you could actually buy them on the spot. Some years ago the titles announced on E3 had actual playable demos and a huge surprise.

Now, look at Diablo 3 for example. It was announced fucking years ago, and it's still not ready, far from it, it would need at least another year or two before they would even speculate about a release date. They cobbled together a pre-production prototype, built one tenth of a level, designed one character and a few enemies and made it look like the game was almost finished, but in reality, that's all they had, a tiny section of a prototype level and a few hastily thrown together characters and effects. All for the sake of hype. Pathetic.

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
DoW Lowen said:
White lie or no, video game Jesus is watching.
And real life Jesus will be watching you when your child asks you if you bought them a bike for their birthday. Will you tell them that is is a bike and ruin their birthday? Well, you better or Jesus will SMITE YOU!!!!

Or not. Who knows??