Jaffe: FPS Genre Is Stale

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Jaffe: FPS Genre Is Stale

The God of War creator's next game may feature "a gun and a person holding a gun." Yay.

"I love the genre," Jaffe told IGN [http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1224381p1.html?] when asked about Activision's upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops, "but I feel it has been allowed to go a little -- well, actually, quite a lot -- stale when it comes to moment to moment mechanics. I'm hoping to see that iterated on in the future."

When asked if he'd considered making a shooter of his own, and what he'd do to revitalize the genre, Jaffe responded, "I've thought about it, I'm not telling you."

Jaffe left Eat Sleep Play, a company he founded back in 2007, earlier this year, and rumours quickly began circulating that the notoriously foul-mouthed developer would be turning his sights to the casual market. Those rumors were "highly exagerated," apparently. [https://twitter.com/#!/davidscottjaffe/status/166764079933964288]

Currently without a publisher or a development team, the Twisted Metal creator is currently considering project ideas - thus far he's managed to whittle thirty potential concepts down to two.

"There is a gun in [one of the games]," he said. "And you hold it. And all the things that I can sit here and passionately discuss and preach to you are absolutely things that I'm thinking about doing if it turns out the game we're thinking about doing gets made next involves a gun and a person holding a gun."

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
In other news, the next big movie will feature men with superpowers fighting men with superpowers.

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
*stares at Timesplitters 4*

You know, there's a perfectly good series out there ATM, and nobody wanted it >_>

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Damn, this guy whines a lot. Jaffe, you're a games developer so do something about it.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
"Now if you'll excuse me," Jaffe continued, "I have to go design some more quick-time events."

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Is it just me of does Jaffe seem to be really enjoying his role as the dude who swears and complains a lot?

Huh...I just realised that I've got a friend like that. He basically makes a status on Facebook where he says something negative about the popular thing of the moment, throws the word "fuck" in there a couple of times to seem edgy and just waits for the "likes" to flow in.

If I didn't know better I'd say he's trying to emulate Charlie Brooker.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Oh thanks! You noticed that thing that we've been saying for the past 5 years, cool...

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
"Now if you'll excuse me," Jaffe continued, "I have to go design some more quick-time events."
You win my friend, you win again.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Thank you for stating the obvious, slowpoke. Only a has-been like Jaffe would think this is biting, edgy commentary.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
rhizhim said:
The 'news' are getting less newsworthy almost every week.
Well as it is with news, when nothing significant is going on you dont get to report on it. Yet youre paid to do a job, so you do it.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010

Would be nice to see some innovation in the genre though. Gun holding and shooting is fine, we just need more different games in the FPS genre. More open world ones like Far Cry 2 would be nice, what I'd personally like to see is a mixture of a few games/genres. Take an open(or ish) world, make different classes (take a page out of BF series for this), throw in actual missions (assault a fortified position/infiltrate an enemy camp and such) and focus on team-play. It could make for some fantastic co-op multiplayer, one not necessarily designed for just 4 people like Borderlands/L4D.

Actually thinking about it, just go back to old Battlefield games (1942/Vietnam and such), throw players on one side and instead of using bots, just design slightly more intelligent and structured AI/environment.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Lugbzurg said:
One day, the craziest videogame idea I had ever thought of popped into my head during one of those "Don't do Drugs" presentations in high school. That should give you some context. It's called "Noble". And it makes no sense at all.

Reginald Noble awakes from his chambers and strolls around the military base. He is the only one dressed casually, and the only one in the entire complex speaking informally.

When war breaks out, Reggie breaks out his three-headed chaingun and charges out against the enemy forces in a brown/gray environment, with plenty of cover, and some extra second gun (like a shotgun, or something). It all seems like your average cookie-cutter shooter for a few minutes, until the freaky monsters start showing up.

Before you know it, you're fighting elephants with machine guns, pixelated things inside a 16-Bit dimension and battling flying textbooks that breathe fire and horrible flesh-hungry food in Mr. Noble's old high school.

It plays in a very oldschool style, reminiscent of Serious Sam, Duke Nukem or Quake. You've got weapons that shoot things like chickens and fireworks. Mines come in the form of wet cats, Reginald's melee attack is a headbutt and you gain health by chasing down anthropomorphic food that screams and runs away when it sees you (mostly doughnuts with eyeballs), all like the cheese or the key in Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Did I mention this game makes absolutely no sense and solely exists to be as ridiculous as possible?
I've told a few people about this game idea of mine, and they've really seemed to like it. It's still growing, and getting new weapons, be they somewhat-realistic-but-really-over-the-top or just cartoony nonsense. I think it could add something fresh to the FPS genre.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
This jerk couldn't even make a Twisted Metal game the right way.

First of all, the thing didn't work out of the box.

Most of the cars shared the same special.

There was one unlockable character, that wasn't Minion, that you had to jump through hoops and fire to unlock.

Story mode was complete and utter shit. Only 3 characters. A preacher that doesn't do anything. Mr. Grimm's story was nothing but filler.

The custom skins are bugged

Not only are the custom skins bugged but the site won't let us browse.

and this guy is going to make a FPS? Get your own shit in order before trying new things, Jaffe.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Doing the exact same thing over and over again has gotten stale?

Seriously Jaffe, I like your games, go back to making those please.