James Cameron Nearly Directed Jurassic Park

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
loa said:
Jurassic park was for kids?
What.
To be fair, it was pretty much that level of humour and action. Sure, it had some "scary" bits in it but on the whole it was pretty laid back. Prime example is when the kid is hanging onto the electric fence and has to count down before he lets go but gets shocked off it before he can say "1".

I wouldn't say that all dinosaur films should be aimed at kids though, I think Cameron is a bit wrong there. If they released a proper gritty action film with dinosaurs it'd be great, make a nice change from the various comic book plundering films we've had recently.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Producer Frank Marshall recently confirmed that Jurassic park IV would be hitting screens within the next two years. The script was written by Mark (writer of The Cell, Thor and the upcoming Mass Effect film) and Jurassic Park 3 director, Joe Johnson is set to direct.
Cell: crap movie, far too pretentious for it's own good.
Thor: not bad, but very simplistic (but how much can you get out of a comic book anyway)
Jurassic Park 3: absolutely horrible.

I HAVE NO FAITH IN PART 4.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Wait WHAT all I got out of this was Mass Effect film? Please for the love of jebus christ on a bun, do. not. do. this.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
doggie015 said:
Vault101 said:
upcoming Mass Effect film???

oh jesus NO.....
Look on the bright side. At least it'll have an actual ending on day 1!
Nope, the ending will be day 1 DLC.

Did anyone else read this as cameron saying he is too good to make movies for kids so its a good thing spielberg got it so he could debase himself? Screw you Carmeron, you're a hack who needed an outlandish CGI budget so you could remake pocahontas with all the characters replaced with the bastard love children of "Cats" and the blue man group.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
Vault101 said:
upcoming Mass Effect film???

oh jesus NO.....
Dinosaurs, blah blah... Mass Effect?! Ears prick up.

If it's done right, it could be the *only* decent game to movie conversion... there's certainly enough material and there's an established look.. It could be awesome!

Just guard the production from Uwe Boll with snipers and to keep in on topic, a T-Rex.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1482455/

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
nodlimax said:
".....and Jurassic Park 3 director, Joe Johnson is set to direct."

Now that can't be good.

But I would love to see Camerons take on JP.
dude, Joe Johnston isn't a bad director. I just want to kill whoever wrote the script for 3. Johnston has made some kickass movies, like The Rocketeer and Captain America.

And am I the only one here who liked the second movie? It was dumb, but it was still fun.
Nah, I enjoyed the second film a lot too - it's just the third that left me a bit cold.

The rumours I've heard for JP4 don't help any....Half human/velociraptor hybrid soldiers anyone?

*shudders*

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ascorbius said:

If it's done right, it could be the *only* decent game to movie conversion... there's certainly enough material and there's an established look.. It could be awesome!

Just guard the production from Uwe Boll with snipers and to keep in on topic, a T-Rex.

true....but no matter how good it is its not going to be "my" Shepard (or to be more acurate femshep) and to be honest it would make it almsot unwatchable for me...I mean its scary that I can imagine then casting Sam Worthington or some equivalent

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
I'd also like to blame Michael Crichton for making every dinosaur game have projectile spitting dilophosaurus with frills. That is actually 50% more annoying then the velociraptors.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Well, James Cameron was behind the two best sequels in movie history (I'm going to pretend that this much is unarguable). His movie magic in that regard could have done The Lost World wonders. Kidding aside, from the sounds of it, he would have made a dinosaur movie that would take itself seriously; depending on how close to the book things were, such an interpretation could have very well worked.

As for Jurassic Park IV, the last plot pitch I heard of was the one about a mercenary training a squad of deinonychus for use by the military. That idea needed to be lit on fire.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
To this day, my friends and I agree that Jurassic Park had the most convincing CGI ever made.

Swapping Spielberg with Cameron wouldn't have changed a thing.

On the other hand, I would have loved to see how it would have turned out if they used Spielberg's non-union Mexican equivalent, Señor Spielbergo [http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Se%C3%B1or_Spielbergo]

Bacaruda

Jul 10, 2011
Good thing Cameron didn't direct Jurassic Park. He is awfully overrated. Terminator 2 and Aliens are by far worse than the first films and Camerons Titanic and Avatar are just... Awful.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Vault101 said:
ascorbius said:

true....but no matter how good it is its not going to be "my" Shepard (or to be more acurate femshep) and to be honest it would make it almsot unwatchable for me...I mean its scary that I can imagine then casting Sam Worthington or some equivalent
As far as I'm aware a Mass Effect film wouldn't be focused around Shepard at all; instead they're going to focus on something that was in the background. Seeing how much stuff there is in the Codex, I think it could go well.

Or it could end up shit, but here's hoping, eh?

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Wow, shanghaied by Mass Effect.

I just wanted to say this; velociraptors might look like dorky chickens, but in the words of Dr. Alan Grant:

Try to imagine yourself in the Cretaceous Period. You get your first look at this "six foot turkey" as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing his head. And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex ? he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Velociraptor. You stare at him, and he just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the other two raptors you didn't even know were there. Because Velociraptor's a pack hunter, you see, he uses coordinated attack patterns and he is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this ? a six-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion, oh no ? he slashes at you here or here ? or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines. The point is ? you are alive when they start to eat you. So you know ? try to show a little respect.
I don't care what it looks like, it is still a badass.

Cameron would have been good for a "true to book" interpretation. I like Spielberg's, though.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Nuke_em_05 said:
Wow, shanghaied by Mass Effect.

I just wanted to say this; velociraptors might look like dorky chickens, but in the words of Dr. Alan Grant:

Try to imagine yourself in the Cretaceous Period. You get your first look at this "six foot turkey" as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing his head. And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex ? he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Velociraptor. You stare at him, and he just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the other two raptors you didn't even know were there. Because Velociraptor's a pack hunter, you see, he uses coordinated attack patterns and he is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this ? a six-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion, oh no ? he slashes at you here or here ? or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines. The point is ? you are alive when they start to eat you. So you know ? try to show a little respect.
I don't care what it looks like, it is still a badass.

Cameron would have been good for a "true to book" interpretation. I like Spielberg's, though.
I always preferred Utahraptor's, because it feels like they're more like a mix of a lizard, a hawk, and an angry grizzly bear.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Wait... the guy who wrote the script for The Cell is doing the script for the Mass Effect movie?

csoloist

Mar 27, 2009
Bacaruda said:
Good thing Cameron didn't direct Jurassic Park. He is awfully overrated. Terminator 2 and Aliens are by far worse than the first films and Camerons Titanic and Avatar are just... Awful.
Hey now, T2 and Aliens are both awesome. That neither is *quite* as good as the earlier installments says more about how amazing Alien and The Terminator are. Besides, Cameron made The Terminator too.

Titanic and Avatar though. Well... At least he had a good run in the eighties and early nineties.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I respond to your accusation of raptors being "dorky-looking chickens" with this XKCD strip: http://xkcd.com/1104/
They aren't chickens at all. If anything, they're more comparable to the cassowary. Look it up.

Also, will not bother with JP4. JP2&3 was enough of a lobotomy for the franchise already.