Japan Chooses Gran Turismo Over Giant Robots

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Japan Chooses Gran Turismo Over Giant Robots

The sales of Gran Turismo 5 in Japan could prove that driving cars trumps piloting mechs in the region.

After more than 5 years of development, Gran Turismo 5 [http://www.amazon.com/Gran-Turismo-5-Playstation-3/dp/B002BSA1C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291297860&sr=8-1] was finally launched worldwide at the end of the third week of November 2010, and its early sales figures were very strong in Japan. The game is on its way to earning back at least some its $60 million budget.

Gran Turismo 5 sold 430,707 copies in its first week on shelves in Japan, which includes the sales of Japan's shiny blue Gran Turismo 5 PlayStation 3 bundle. PlayStation 3 consoles also saw a boost in sales for the same week, roughly doubling the previous week's sales with 68,840 total units sold. Gran Turismo 5 was priced at ¥7,980 ($95) and the PS3 bundle cost ¥35,980 ($427).

Notably, Gran Turismo 5 beat out Super Robot Wars L in its first week, the latest entry in the giant mecha series which sold 129,054 units. The gravity of this is not lost on me, as Japanese gamers tend to love giant robots, but driving won out in this battle.

It's not like Super Robot Wars L is a Gundam game or anything (though there are Gundams featured), and there are a ton of games in the series, but the fact remains that driving trumped giant robots. Go driving. Polyphony Digital head Kazunori Yamauchi is probably very happy that he was able to sell a game where players have to realistically manage their braking into a chicane over one that has players wielding laser swords and firing missiles.

However, the PSP was still king of hardware sales in the region, and with the brand new Monster Hunter Portable 3rd just released on the handheld in Japan on December 1, it's not assured that Gran Turismo 5 will have as good of a following week. Racing and collecting cars in Gran Turismo 5 might be fun, but aside from Dragon Quest [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0EH6I/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009A4EV2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=14DY4PDHE1FR1NM2J7CE] I don't think anything can beat Monster Hunter frenzy in Japan.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/gran-turismo-5-takes-checkered]

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
What a strange, strange country... Giant mechs kick aaaaass! [/American accent]

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Does anything topple Dragon Quest in Japan?

Anything at all?
Maybe Pokemon IF it's the first week of a new version. Maybe. And that's a mighty big if.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Japan how could you GIANT ROBOTS FORREVER.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
WHAT?! Impossible? This can't be true! It has to be lies! Lies, I tell you!

OT: Well i be damned. I have a PS3 but i dont know if i should get it or not.

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
Super Robot Wars isn't a piloting game, it's an RTS

What you're saying is like saying a GTA game beat out a Halo game shooter wise because liberty city stories outsold halo wars

Also Super Robot Wars is a DS game, compared to an opening week of package deals with a PS3 is just unfair o_O

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Meh, I don't care. Super Robot Wars L still kicks ass:

EDIT:

johnzaku said:

What you're saying is like saying a GTA game beat out a Halo game shooter wise because liberty city stories outsold halo wars

Also Super Robot Wars is a DS game, compared to an opening week of package deals with a PS3 is just unfair o_O
The fact that it is a DS game has nothing to do with it. Pokémon Black/White was also a DS game, yet it sold over a million in it's first week.

Handhelds have preety much become the dominant game platform in Japan. More often than not, it is either a DS or PSP game leading the charts. Gran Turismo is an exception, especially since it was one of PS3's most anticipated titles.

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
so this
is > than this
*mind blown* no..this has only happened once, i'l believe it to be true when it happens more than three times
johnzaku said:

ahh ninja'd on both counts

yeah, you can't exactly compare gran turismo to SRW, as they're different genres on different platforms, its like comparing apples to oranges

Daemascus said:
^Comrade!!!

But is it a GOOD giant robot game?
can't speak for super robot wars L specfically but the series as a whole is generally pretty good

nonl33t m4st3r said:
Ironically, Japan does not dig giant robots. At least not as much as cars.
not entirely true, think of this as the exception that proves the rule that japan really digs giant robots

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Monster hunter... I hope the next one they bring out makes up for the two serious mistakes made in Unite and Tri. Releasing an expansion pack as a full game was a cheap shot. Releasing Tri exclusively on the wii was an insult, which completely ruined what would still have been a good quality game otherwise.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
John Funk said:
The fools.
I wonder why you say that Mr.Funk. ;)

OT: I'm actually not surprised. People have been waiting for Gran Turismo for a long time. Gran Turismo is the gem of racing games.

Random berk said:
Monster hunter... I hope the next one they bring out makes up for the two serious mistakes made in Unite and Tri. Releasing an expansion pack as a full game was a cheap shot. Releasing Tri exclusively on the wii was an insult, which completely ruined what would still have been a good quality game otherwise.
Monster Hunter fan to the rescue. (Fan, not fangirl)
The reason they released MH on the Wii was because the numbers showed it is the dominant console in Japan. And since the game sells the best in Japan, of course they're going to put the game on the most popular console. And Tri is still a good game even with the Wii's limitations on graphics. The new monsters, underwater battles and stamina depletion in monsters made the game very interesting.
As for Unite, some liked it and some hated it. I liked the new monsters that Unite brought in, but I did wish there was most variation in it. That didn't stop me from logging 400 hours of gameplay in it though. >_>

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
What a strange, strange country... Giant mechs kick aaaaass! [/American accent]
I concur, my good man. Nothing beats massive robots. Just ask nostalgia: