Japan Completes Latest Killer Robot, Assures Our Doom

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Furburt said:
Could anyone answer this question for me?

Is this an actual project, funded by the Japanese government, or is it just a private company building it?

Because if the former, don't they have better things to be spending their money on? I mean, don't get me wrong, this is fucking awesome, but they're currently going through one of the worst recessions ever, the Japanese economy is in meltdown and the entire country's basically collapsing.

However, if the latter, than bully for them!
Well, during recessions entertainment industries often boom as people seek escape from their problems. One of the reasons why people have argued that various industries are "recession proof" (with various degrees of truth).

If the goverment funded this at least in part, it wouldn't surprise me. The whole "bread and circuses" schtick exists because of the truth behind it. While 150 million yen sounds like a lot consider that's actually only 1.7 million US Dollars in equivilency and everything there costs a lot in currency units. Today that isn't a lot of money, and viewed sociologically the impact might be worth it. Building monuments and such can show a culture 'hey we're in trouble, but we just did this anyway!'. Not wise in a rational sense, but that can be a powerful sentiment towards keeping spirits up and recovery. These giant robots and such are things that have enchanted most of the Japanese around now since they were children, and represent a development that is cultural, while being fairly "neutral" in the sense that it isn't involving anything religious or something that might irritate the rest of the world.

-

As far as the EVA series goes, I have a hard time actually considering Eva01 a "Giant Robot" (despite using the term). What it is actually is a giant clone, with a cybernetic implant in it's head that people ride inside of to control it. Despite being covered in metal to look like a robot (well most of the time) I think it's more properly classified as a "Giant Monster" and probably has more in common with Godzilla and his rogues gallery than with say Gundam or other "Mecha" despite what it's generally lumped in with.

The fact that it's a living creature, as opposed to a construct of pure technology and circuits, is a key plot point, and also why it goes berserk and winds up chowing down every once in a while. :p

lhin

Nov 18, 2009
like I said on the first thread.....where's my giant rei!!!! I demand TEH REI only then can we end the world.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
God damn you japan and your giant robots, no other country has anything nearly as strange and massive. I'm jealous.

ninja_decadeo

Jul 20, 2010
Okay Japan, now it's time to work on the Metal Gear I keep asking you to build -_- The one from Metal Gear Solid preferably, with everything included.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Hashime said:
I never understood Mechs. Why waste so much energy making them human shaped and articulated if there are much more efficient packages.
Depends on the in-universe answer for where they first came from. Some options:

1) Multi-purposed. A tank is basically good for blowing people up. A mecha with fine manipulators can help with the blowing up, the clearing of rubble, the rebuilding, creating makeshift defenses, moving crates of supplies, etc., etc.

2) Fear. Terror is a powerful weapon, and few things produce more primal fear than 'The bigger, more dangerous entity'. Tapping into that by making what ammounts to a giant near-indestrutible metal man with a sidearm the size of your house means the battle is half over before you begin.

3) Manuverability. Big rocks in the way? Climb over! Fallen tree? Move it yourself! Cars in between you and the enemy? Pick them up and chuck them like lawn darts! Which also leads itself to...

4) Improvising. When a tank is out of ammo, it's good for moving cover and running folks over, and not much else. When a mecha is out of ammo, it picks up a tree and starts playing Whack-A-Mole with enemy troops.

And finally, 5) Peaceful purposes. Now don't laugh, I'm serious. War time ends, tanks go back to bases, and half of them end up being next to worthless come the next major advancements. But for a mecha, you just remove the weapons, lock them away somewhere, and use the mechs to help with construction projects, or emergency relief efforts. A government gets twice the useful vehicles in one unit, and never has to mothball them just cause no one is actively taking off shots on their countrymen.

An optional 6) is Because They Have To. One example would in fact be Eva-01. It needs the [REDACTED FOR SPOILER] component to cancel the attacking Angel's defenses; without that, even nuclear devices do nothing to stop their rampage. As a result, it HAS to be in a humanoid shape.

And of course, The Rule Of Cool. Because nothing says 'Humans Rock!' more than a giant humanoid cutting an alien invader in half with a Blazing Sword.

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
Yeah they're called mobile suits or gundams. Then apple tries to fight back with they're ibots...or Megas

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Berserker119 said:
Because cancer research isn't as important as a giant robot.
Maybe the giant robot will find a way to cure the cancer, or at least put people with terminal cancer out of their misery.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Let's celebrate, with a song that doesn't reflect my opinion of the main character at all: In all seriousness, I'll shit my pants if it can move.

ShadesOfGrey84

Feb 16, 2010
Evilsanta said:
Awww...Why wont they do this in a country that is more close to Sweden?...Or in Sweden...Argh! Still it is FUCKING AWESOME!
Well, seeing as Sweden is close to Denmark.. how about building a giant mecha...MADE OF LEGOS!!!
It will be armed with a giant LEGO!!! minigun.
Also, it will be called PLASTIC GEAR???!!!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
ShadesOfGrey84 said:
Evilsanta said:
Awww...Why wont they do this in a country that is more close to Sweden?...Or in Sweden...Argh! Still it is FUCKING AWESOME!
Well, seeing as Sweden is close to Denmark.. how about building a giant mecha...MADE OF LEGOS!!!
It will be armed with a giant LEGO!!! minigun.
Also, it will be called PLASTIC GEAR???!!!
OMFG! How have i failed to see this before! All scandinavian countries unite! And lets ous build our LEGO MECH! TREMBLE IN FEAR OF OUR MIGHTY LEGO MECH!

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Oh god. It looks angry. Somebody find an emo kid and make him take it away.

I know that people can have very strong feelings over certain media but I still can't see why they would make this character in particular. I mean this is a Disney scale thing for a single, essentially, state of a thing. That is what I call a love for a series and a dedication like nobody's business.