Japan Says America's Godzilla is Too Fat

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Japan Says America's Godzilla is Too Fat

"He's so fat, I laughed." --Japanese commenter

Warner Bros is hoping that director Gareth Edwards' big-budget update of Godzilla will loom large over the box-office in two weeks, but in the opinion of fans in the venerable kaiju's native country he may be looming a little too large. While early trailers kept the titular monster mostly out of sight, the new Godzilla is all over the new TV spots, and the verdict from some Japanese fans? He needs to go on a diet.

While only the radically-redesigned creature "Zilla" from Roland Emmerich unsuccessful 1998 attempt at a reboot could be called "skinny," this new Godzilla is unquestionably the heftiest looking; with a thick neck almost twice as wide at the base as his head and smaller forward-set arms that constrast starkly with the more human-like (relative) proportions and upper-body structure familiar from the original Japanese features. At least one fan has already nicknamed the Americanized version "Godzilla Deluxe," a reference to an overweight Japanese TV star. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JsyMZ42Z14]

It should be noted that the Japanese Godzilla has traditionally been portrayed using suits designed to incorporate the proportions of an actor inside, while Edwards' creature was realized through CGI. The film, which stars Brian Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen and Ken Watanabe, opens in the U.S. May 16th.

Source: AFP [http://news.yahoo.com/japanese-fans-complain-local-hero-godzilla-too-fat-070236058.html]

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Still better than their guy in a rubber suit, that looks still fake as hell...

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
It's probably from all that fish.

OT: Honestly he looks no fatter than the earlier ones. Just, you know, taller.

Hell, the earlier incarnation I think look a lot flabbier. This one at least looks like he bulked up a bit. He looks perfectly healthy.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
You seriously just made a fat comment from the internets into news?
Well I guess you will have plenty of material from here on out, pretty sure I saw someone somewhere comment on someone else being gay possibly even Jewish... best get on that before anyone else snatches the headline story.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I say it better to have some fat on than to have no fat at all like Zilla althought Zilla kinda look like a T Rex (body structure wise).

Still depending on the reception on the film itself, it make me wonder how the original will bashed the US remake like they did with Zilla?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
They also say he doesn't have enough tentacles and there needs to be more school girls in the movie.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
As a longtime Godzilla fan, the new design isn't ideal but it's a lot better than I would have expected. Of course his thicker neck etc. plays into stereotypes about fat Americans, so I guess we should have seen the joke coming.

josemlopes said:
Weird thing for them to say unless they only know the american on from 1998.
Oh not only do they know about him, they made him die like a punk in the last "traditional" Godzilla movie Final Wars. Which I just noticed someone posted the clip from above, huh. Well gotta love the line right after he dies. "I knew that tuna eating monster was useless."

That's a lotta fish!

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Why is there an article about 2ch and YouTube comments?

Bindal said:
I'm pretty sure realism isn't what they had in mind when they were making Gojira.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
"Japan says America's Godzilla is too fat". Man, say what you like about the Japanese, but they sure are organised. I mean, they ALL got together and declared that Godzilla is too fat, it was so heartening.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Ukomba said:
They also say he doesn't have enough tentacles and there needs to be more school girls in the movie.
I take it you don't watch much Godzilla?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
The home of a sport about two fat guys trying to shove each other out of a circle is calling Godzilla fat? Oh Japan, you're so silly.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
ShakerSilver said:
Bindal said:
I'm pretty sure realism isn't what they had in mind when they were making Gojira.
Doesn't make it less laughable, especially nowerdays...

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
how dare they! fat shaming is just horrible... poor zilla.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I've always thought Godzilla looked big in the hips, I assumed this American version was just trying to stay true to the original since apparently trying to change something for the better is heresy. Personally I'd rather they stick with the 1998 Godzilla design which I think actually looked pretty nice, but since that movie is apparently a dark mark on this otherwise immaculate series we have to distance ourselves from it as much as possible.

razer17 said:
"Japan says America's Godzilla is too fat". Man, say what you like about the Japanese, but they sure are organised. I mean, they ALL got together and declared that Godzilla is too fat, it was so heartening.
No, you don't understand, it wasn't the Japanese that said it, it was Japan itself. The island rose up from the sea to reveal it's thought on the trailer. Personally I just think Japan's angry at Godzilla for all the stomping around he's been doing.