Japanese Browsers Prepare for Valkyria Chronicles Duel

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Japanese Browsers Prepare for Valkyria Chronicles Duel

A free-to-play Valkyria Chronicles installment will embrace the casual sphere.

Guys and girls, the most creative strategy-RPG [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114685-Modern-Warfare-3-Beats-Avatars-Fastest-Selling-Record] in years did in its whole run. Valkyria Chronicles 2 barely nudged its way stateside, and Valkyria Chronicles 3 this side of the Pacific? Forget about it. While Japanese fans are probably rejoicing at the announcement of Valkyria Chronicles Duel, a free-to-play, browser-based entry that retains many of the series' trademark mechanics and characters, those of us in the West are not likely to see it anytime soon.

A trailer for the game reveals that it has made a few concessions given its new platform and pricing structure, but still looks an awful lot like the three games that preceded it. Players will still recruit a squadron of soldiers of varying class and personalities to their cause, but this time, the warriors will take the form of cards. There are over 200 cards to collect in addition to building up a base camp, fighting tooth-and-nail for enemy territories, and even engaging in some fully-rendered 3D battles. It's not clear if the game will have any social aspects yet, but it will definitely have microtransactions as well as some manner of smartphone app.

Valkyria Chronicles Duel's made our choice [http://valkyria-duel.hangame.co.jp/lp/]. Come to think of it, a Valkyria Chronicles first-person shooter would probably be pretty good; maybe we could have one of those?

Source: Andriasang [http://andriasang.com/con1iv/valkyria_browser/]

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
And it's not THAT great a game, my dear Marshall
I dunno, I've played a fair number of strategy/RPGs, and I think the original is about the best strategy/RPG I've ever played. Excellent story, engaging gameplay, well-developed characters, and stellar production value (especially those jaw-dropping watercolor graphics). If it's not your thing, I get that, and I actually didn't like the second one at all. That said, I'm definitely upset that the series kind of petered out in the West. I'd love to see more of it someday.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Marshall Honorof said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I dunno, I've played a fair number of strategy/RPGs, and I think the original is about the best strategy/RPG I've ever played. Excellent story, engaging gameplay, well-developed characters, and stellar production value (especially those jaw-dropping watercolor graphics). If it's not your thing, I get that, and I actually didn't like the second one at all. That said, I'm definitely upset that the series kind of petered out in the West. I'd love to see more of it someday.
The first one was great. The art style was unique, the gameplay was challenging, it required honest tactics, and the story was real enough (minus the Valkyria) to stay seriously immersed in it.

The second was Sega double downing on all things Japan to get it to sell in Japan... because Japan. High school setting, every high school anime trope imagined, heavy grinding, one of the goofiest protagonists ever created... it just screamed JRPG sensibilities. So much so that Japan couldn't even stomach it, and it sold worse than VC1.

Sega managed to take an IP with a growing fanbase, one that sold twice as much in America than Japan, and destroy interest on both sides of the ocean with the second game. As long as any game in this series is on a handheld or on a web browser, it will never have the same style as the first.

It's rare to see such a promising IP get so mistreated and bungled by its very creators. It's shameful.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I wish Japan would stop this casual online stuff, it's bad enough that Western franchises do it, it's one step forward in cheapening a franchise (yes, I know this statement sounds a tad ironic considering how Valkyria Chronicles also got an anime).

I was never a huge fan of the Valkyria series (though I love Raita's art), sad to see it go this way.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
I wish they would return to the ps3. Maps in Valkyria Chronicles 2 were a lot smaller and mostly copy past of like 3-4 basic types. Maps in VC1 were build for the scenario which allowed for giant enemy bossfights and overall more unique maps.

Not to forget the horrible plot of VC2. Who thought setting a wargame on a high school was a good idea?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Quiotu said:
Marshall Honorof said:
DVS BSTrD said:
The first one was great. The art style was unique, the gameplay was challenging, it required honest tactics, and the story was real enough (minus the Valkyria) to stay seriously immersed in it.

The second was Sega double downing on all things Japan to get it to sell in Japan... because Japan. High school setting, every high school anime trope imagined, heavy grinding, one of the goofiest protagonists ever created... it just screamed JRPG sensibilities. So much so that Japan couldn't even stomach it, and it sold worse than VC1.

Sega managed to take an IP with a growing fanbase, one that sold twice as much in America than Japan, and destroy interest on both sides of the ocean with the second game. As long as any game in this series is on a handheld or on a web browser, it will never have the same style as the first.

It's rare to see such a promising IP get so mistreated and bungled by its very creators. It's shameful.
This, a hundred times this!
I loved the 1st but as soon as I saw that 2 was handheld I basicaly said 'Damn you Saga', and forgot about it. Plus I could not tell which of the new main characters were Men and which were Women.

Sep 30, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
I loved the 1st but as soon as I saw that 2 was handheld I basicaly said 'Damn you Saga', and forgot about it. Plus I could not tell which of the new main characters were Men and which were Women.
Yeah close to an hour in to VC2 I actually set down the game and spent about 10 minutes trying to find one character's gender with Google.
Still haven't made a ton of progress in it; the story to game-play ratio is kind of obnoxious which wouldn't be too much of a problem if the main character wasn't the most unlikable, loud, and generally dim-witted protagonist in any game I've ever played.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
wait, if the reason why they didn't continue the games here was because they shot themselves in the foot with the offering we got and then subsequently punished us for their screw up by not trying again with a better game, the only thing forestalling my rage with that is forgetting this actually happened

which i'm sure would also hurt their sales.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
itsausernamewhatofit said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Yeah close to an hour in to VC2 I actually set down the game and spent about 10 minutes trying to find one character's gender with Google.
Still haven't made a ton of progress in it; the story to game-play ratio is kind of obnoxious which wouldn't be too much of a problem if the main character wasn't the most unlikable, loud, and generally dim-witted protagonist in any game I've ever played.
Ok its killing me. Is it a man or is it a woman?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I might just learn Japanese in order to play this thing.

Valkyria Chronicles is easily one of the best games of this generation, great locations, gorgeous graphics, fresh ideas, characters you could care about. It was a nice reprieve for the times.

Sep 30, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
itsausernamewhatofit said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Ok its killing me. Is it a man or is it a woman?
Woman but it's complicated.
http://valkyria.wikia.com/wiki/Alexis_Hilden

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Yay more VC.
Wait, that looks like Farmville...
Card battles WTF. What's going on here?
I feel disoriented.