Japanese Fallout: New Vegas Ads Hate On JRPGs

careful

Jul 28, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Anyone who thinks this will offend people in Japan are cracked. This is probably the only way that Fallout: New Vegas will sell in Japan.

Booze Zombie said:
Ha, ha, ha!

I think this might work for the Japanese sense of humour, I could be wrong, but they seem to like spite-filled sarcasm and parody.
Yeah, like he ^^^ said.
yes, not that im an expert in japanese marketing science, but this add will prolly provoke more english speakers to bitching than it will japanese speakers

Jun 26, 2009
TheButteryGoodness said:
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Well, you don't complain that FPS's don't change there anything, why complain that JRPGs don't? At least they try. Not that I don't like fallout of course, but this is stupid.
I think you will find that just as many people complain that theres no change in FPSs, Just look at Zero Punctuation
Does anybody take ZP seriously? He's for entertainment purposes only and shouldn't be taken seriously.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
My problem with this is that WRPGs almost always have a silent protagonist whose choices are always good or evil. Because of that the story seems kind of detached from the main character, and could easily be replaced with one of your allies. While you typically have more than one ending in a WRPGs story, it still feels like its on rails.

era81

Jun 11, 2009
Pretty funny considering for Obsidian to not totally fuck this game up it just has to be Fallout 3 with a different backdrop.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Meh this is just annoying. The add is essentially bashing FF13, which one could argue isn't even a JRPG (I still maintain it isn't even a game, just a DVD movie with an overly complex scene selection).

Beyond that, they're bashing one of Japan's most beloved genres to try and get attention for one of their least liked.. bad.. bad marketing. It would be like a McDonalds opening up in Tokyo telling people to put down their faggy rice and grab a burger. It may get attention, but it's sure not gonna get them any new supporters.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
There's hope for Japan yet. We've already got them celebrating Kurisumasu even though none of 'em are Christian except for the occasional small enclave. Their use of American English is beyond cute. So why not let them adopt our gaming habits?

Or maybe we've been working on 'em for so long that they're just like "Take. Whatever You Want.", which would explain the executives doing aerobics in the conference room ;-)

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
TheButteryGoodness said:
Well, you don't complain that FPS's don't change there anything, why complain that JRPGs don't? At least they try. Not that I don't like fallout of course, but this is stupid.
I think you will find that just as many people complain that theres no change in FPSs, Just look at Zero Punctuation
Does anybody take ZP seriously? He's for entertainment purposes only and shouldn't be taken seriously.
Yes, he's for entertainment, but he's not inventing an opinion just for laughs. FPSs are similar to the point where if I go to the bathroom, you can swap out my game with another FPS and I may or may not tell the difference. Thats fine for a lot of people because they enjoy that gameplay, but for others (like me) it's not. The Japanese feel the same way with their JRPGs. They may only have slight differences, but the general populace seems to enjoy it. We may shake our heads at their JRPGs, but they shake their heads at our FPSs.

Apr 28, 2008
TheButteryGoodness said:
Irridium said:
and if Alpha Protocol is anything to go by, this game will have a story thats good, and choices that actually influence the story.
And buggy, broken gameplay?
Well of course. This is an Obsidian game after all.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Pugiron said:
Hey, remember that JRPG where the hero was a moody, emo douche, who all the girls fell over themselves to love, despite both his girly ways and total lack of respect for them? Remember how you wanted to kill him more than you wanted to kill the enemies? Remember that long, drawn out subplot where he learned to give a shit and/or overcome his crippling self doubt? I hated that guy.
Oh.. oh.. I know this one.. wait.. when did they make a Twilight RPG?

P.S I love FF7, please don't hurt me fanboys/girls *hides*

rayskyrift

All that is man
Oct 29, 2009
This seems to be the first time a Western developer is using the momentum given to them by Japanese developers. So many Japanese developers say that the West has gotten better than Japan at making games, and this simply seems to be a Western company taking advantage of that.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
"What's the point of playing again if there's no change to the story?"
If New Vegas is anything like Fallout 3, that means all you get is an extra two endings after your first. Good, bad or neutral, with maybe a town or two surviving or dying throughout.
Okay, now I think about it there are a few things that change, but whatever.

The advert gets the point across though, I guess.
"Tired of JRPG's? This isn't one!"

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
pfft really? like they have any ground to stand on New Vegas IS THE SAME GAME as Fallout 3, nothing has changed it's a mission pack their trying to pass off for $60

olfelix

May 14, 2010
I've come to realize the only real "fanboys" of JRPGs are people who just discovered them. No one can deny that it's just rehash after rehash of the same plot (and even subplot). Its been going on now for over 20 years, it gets tiring but to each his/her own.

AnonymouZero

Oct 23, 2009
i like me jrpgs. it's all about item management i guess. the story is good too. I don't think the scope can be matched by wrpgs... except for Mass Effect, but... that's not really an fpsrpg kind of game.

it's all in the matter of delivery. if the game looks and feels awesome, i don't give a fuck if it's the same story with/out any change or input coming from me. imma play it cuz it's fun.

but yeah... the disclaimer is i'm still playing Fallout 3... but, a disclaimer to that disclaimer is, i'm leveling up laharl to 9000, so .. .yeah. i loves me both.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Wait these people are protesting FF13 were do i sign up :p. In all seriousness jrpgs and shooters are starting to stagnate. The good shooters are few and far between and jrpgs are trying to evolve the problem is that they have evolved into crap, ff13 was a glorified cut scene generator on rails. Now if you,l excuse me ill play the old good jrpgs from the snes and HL2 to make myself feel better.