Japanese Firm Shows Off Aliens-Style Power Loader

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Japanese Firm Shows Off Aliens-Style Power Loader

The days of waiting for a real-life power loader are over. It's time to stack some really heavy crates.

Okay, maybe it's not time to stack crates quite yet, but if Japanese Panasonic subsidiary Activelink has anything to say about it, we could be doing a whole lot of stacking &mdash really heavy stacking &mdash by 2015. Activelink is now showing off its seemingly Aliens-inspired Power Loader, which despite this video that looks like it is totally from the 80s, could end up being an impressive piece of machinery.

First of all, if Activelink can create such a complex piece of machinery, why can't the company make a less-cheesy video? Maybe they were going for a more retro style purposefully? I actually like the video, but everything from the opening logo sequence to the xylophone-ish soundtrack reminds me of the time of RoboCop, not of the future where a complex piece of machinery like this Power Loader should exist.

The video is kind of slow, and doesn't show off a whole lot other than the Power Loader's "Utility Arms" moving around, its "High Power Legs" (as opposed to boring, low power legs), the lifting of an object of unknown weight, and a really tight junk strap, but is intriguing nevertheless. The Power Loader currently allows users to lift objects up to 220 pounds, which seems too low to me, and provides force feedback to make the experience easier. I would need the thing to lift at least a ton or two; I'll be writing a letter to these lazy Activelink bums. Activelink plans to have the Power Loader commercially available by 2015.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5371513/aliens+style-power-loader-will-have-you-battling-xenomorphs-in-no-time]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oh dear, when I saw that I got a picture of a Japanese man belting out 'geroff her beetch!' repeatdly as he swings at boxes.

Looks interesting, does anyone think these will get insurance ratings in the rest of the world?

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Hmp! Lift a 200lb object first then I'll be impressed. Right now it looks like an advanced building set for a 15 year old.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Get away from her you *****!!!!!

OT: This does look kinda neat. Seems like they tried to make it look more impressive by adding graphical circles around the arms though.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
I would guess the low weight lighting ability is more due to balance than power of the suit. Especially with how long the arms are.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Honestly, is there anything Japan can't do or isn't willing to do at this point? :p

I'm interested to see whether or not the military will be interested in this. Maybe they can use this and that wrist-mounted flamethrower contraption, mash them together and get a FLAME MECH!

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
The cheesy HUD and slow movement makes me think of Anime being slow to show off fancy effects than doing something...

I think this exo-skeleton suit [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYWd2C3XVIk] is more impressive, but it seems like both could lift the same amount of weight.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Reuq said:
OK, secret military projects hidden in public view, and now this... they're up to something!
Yeah. I believe that this is a small version test so they can get the kinks out of their Zakus.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
The music reminded me like I was going through the marketplace in Shenmue.

Also, thats a cool idea I guess.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I've seen better.
Oh wait, that was actually in Aliens...
But there have been a few Power lifter things.
Heh, almost power armour :D soon... soon...