Japanese Game Consultant: Smash Bros. Will be an NX Launch Title

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Japanese Game Consultant: Smash Bros. Will be an NX Launch Title

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/692755598497046528]
Dr. Serkan Toto, the CEO of one of Japan's premier game consultancy firms, claims that Smash Bros. will be an NX launch title.

The Smartphone Initiative [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/nintendo%20nx?os=%20nintendo%20nx]. Toto claims that Namco Bandai is also developing several titles for the NX already.

He followed up his initial Tweet by stating that he isn't sure if the NX version of Super Smash Bros. will be a completely new numbered version, or if it will simply be a kind of enhanced port of the Wii U version [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/super%20smash%20bros%20wii%20u?os=super+smash+bros+wii+u]. Given that the development cycle on the series is quite long, and a new title usually doesn't release until quite a while into a console's life-cycle, I would hedge by bets on the latter.

Toto claims that his source on this is "solid", and he would be very surprised if it turned out to be false. Here's hoping!

Source: reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/43507o/dr_serkan_toto_on_twitter_bandai_namco_is/]

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
There is something really suspect about that.
Namely that a game consultant would basically end his career to whet the rumors of internet goers. (That'd be pretty easy to narrow down who said it on Nintendo's side.)

I guess it doesn't really say much in regards to WHEN the NX coming out, but if we are going by soon like most people are that is going to be a hella rushed Smash Bros game. Especially when you consider that a good portion of the team was (and until next month) still is working on current Smash Bros. DLC characters Corrin and Bayonetta.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Dragonbums said:
Namely that a game consultant would basically end his career to whet the rumors of internet goers. (That'd be pretty easy to narrow down who said it on Nintendo's side.)

I guess it doesn't really say much in regards to WHEN the NX coming out, but if we are going by soon like most people are that is going to be a hella rushed Smash Bros game. Especially when you consider that a good portion of the team was (and until next month) still is working on current Smash Bros. DLC characters Corrin and Bayonetta.
To be fair it could just be a game of the year edition like GTAV was when it was ported to the next generation of consoles especially since a lot of people don't have a wii-u

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Eh, Super Smash Bros. really isn't a system seller for me anymore. Once you've played one of them you've played them all. I sunk hundreds if not thousands of hours into the series but it's kind of lost it's appeal.

It's going to take a whole hell of a lot for them to convince me the NX is worth it. Fool me once (Wii U), shame on you, fool me twice... you know the rest. I bought a new console from them like two years ago. Fuck buying another so soon.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Fappy said:
It's going to take a whole hell of a lot for them to convince me the NX is worth it. Fool me once (Wii U), shame on you, fool me twice... you know the rest. I bought a new console from them like two years ago. Fuck buying another so soon.
Is 4 years a new record for releasing two gens of consoles? Goes to show how poorly the Wii U has performed, sales-wise.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Dragonbums said:
Yeah, which is why I'm also gonna go ahead and assume that this is an "Ultimate" version of the game. It makes the most sense given the time frame.

*shrugs* I'd be down.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
After all the effort Sakurai put into Smash 4, and how he'd talked about how it might just be his last one after how beat he was, I'm predicting a 50/30/10/10 % set of outcomes.

50% likely that the WiiU version will be compatable with the NX itself.
30% likely that they'll develop a new version for the NX, but without Sakurai.
10% likely that they'll drag Sakurai into it again somehow.
10% likely that someone needs to do some fact-checking.

Actually, make it 60/30/5/5%.

Honestly, I'll be a little surprised if the system comes out this year. The WiiU basically came out in 2013. The Wii basically came out 2007. The Gamecube basically 2002. It doesn't seem like enough time has passed, especially since we still have people going "There are no games for it yet!". Plus, Starfox Zero, Pokken Tournament, Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, and Zelda WiiU (I suppose in addition to Twilight Princess, though I'm not as excited for that) are still coming ahead (not to mention Smash just finished eaking out its last bit of DLC), and Xenoblade Chronicles X, Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolie World, and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (and Super Mario Maker if you're into that sort of thing) all just came out last year.

Considering all the effort they finally started putting into it, even if they're getting ready for the next generation of gaming, it seems just a little too early. 2017, maybe, and 2018, absolutely. But 2016? Doesn't sound like the right time.

kekkres

Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Fappy said:
Is 4 years a new record for releasing two gens of consoles? Goes to show how poorly the Wii U has performed, sales-wise.
i mean 5 years was the standard for a long time, a 4 year lifespan isnt that short. its just we just got off of a consol cycle that was double long because no one wanted to release a new console during the economic screwup of 2010 when they would have normaly been workining on new ones.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
tf2godz said:
Dragonbums said:

To be fair it could just be a game of the year edition like GTAV was when it was ported to the next generation of consoles especially since a lot of people don't have a wii-u
I guess that can work to an extent, but how much do you think this will really go over well in general? Like I can see perhaps 2-3 more years down the line this working out really well.
But at this point? No, some people may feel ripped off.
This is also not to mention that this is meant to be a launch title. GTAV can get away with it but I don't think Smash bros. can at this moment.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Fappy said:
4 years was also between the Gameboy Advance to the DS, Sega Saturn to Sega Dreamcast, and the Xbox to the Xbox 360. So it's actually fairly standard for a poor console lifespan. How the NX turns out is most likely dependent on what the NX is as the DS and Xbox 360 were successes while the Dreamcast killed Sega.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I would assume it's a deluxe edition port of Smash 4 with all the DLCs and shit. Maybe they'll throw in a little extra content like a few exclusive stages or an exclusive game mode or at most an exclusive character or two (probably Ice Climbers)

I don't think they could churn out a full new and improved feeling smash game that quickly and although there are a lot of different hands involved, I'd say it's more likely for nintendo to re-release an older game since that's kind of their MO at this point.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Fappy said:
I think the original Xbox was released in 2001, and the 360 was released in 2005.

Anyway, regarding the OP post, I'm guessing this will be a port of Smash 4, and likely with the DLC included.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
Fappy said:
Is the NX releasing this year? I was under the impression they were just going to announce it.

OT: If the NX is releasing this year smash will be a port, probably all DLC port. My biggest hope is that they improve the online system to include better standard game modes.

As for the Wii U, I have gotten plenty of value off my Wii U and there is still a pretty big list of games I need to get and play. As a primary console I could see it being a disappointment, but as a PC gamer it was a fantastic secondary gaming machine.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
As usual, we are treated to rumors of games that everyone dreams and reality will be quite different. It would be better to wait to see what is the NX, and Nintendo shows its plans on this console. Here it's just a rumor like many others.