Japanese Game Sales Shrunk In 08

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Japanese Game Sales Shrunk In 08

Hardware and software sales in Japan declined in the last year, according to Famitsu publisher Enterbrain's numbers.

Despite the continuing popularity of Nintendo's systems and the PSP, the Japanese gaming public's interest in blowing dough on their hobby seems to be on the decline, according to numbers released by Japanese gaming magazine publisher Enterbrain. Sales dropped from $6.79 billion to $5.54 billion, according to Enterbrain.

Hardware took the biggest hit, with sales down from $3.18 billion to $2.32. The DS was the strongest seller with 4 million systems sold, followed by the PSP, bolstered by the popularity of Capcom's Monster Hunter games, with 3.23 million.

The popularity of handhelds in Japan has been a constant for some time now. Consoles, meanwhile, are flagging. The Wii was the only console to break the million mark with about 2.6 million systems sold, while the PS3 fell just short of one million and the Xbox 360 about 400,000.

Software declined from $3.61 billion to $3.22, with Pokemon Platinum, Mario Kart Wii, Rhythm Heaven Gold and Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G topping the chart.

[Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5195274/japanese-game-industry-sales-dropped-last-year]]

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Well since robots don't play video games and Japan is opposed to wide-scale immigration, this doesn't really come as a surprise.

The console numbers are pretty ridiculous...only 2.6 mil Wiis and 1mil PS3?

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
You mean it was an 18.4% drop, not 81.6%. If it dropped 81.6% then it would have dropped to $1.25 billion and we would have a slew of game executives in Japan committing harakiri.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Kojiro ftt said:
You mean it was an 18.4% drop, not 81.6%. If it dropped 81.6% then it would have dropped to $1.25 billion and we would have a slew of game executives in Japan committing harakiri.
Yeah, I meant that 5.54 is 81.6% of 6.79, but started writing around the big number forgetting what it originally meant..when I do math my head gets confused.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Kojiro ftt said:
Yeah, I meant that 5.54 is 81.6% of 6.79, but started writing around the big number forgetting what it originally meant..when I do math my head gets confused.
It happens to the best of us :)

Im amazed that Sony is actually doing well over there. The Microsoft propoganda machine had me convinced that NO-ONE in Japan would touch a PS3.