Japanese Man Marries Videogame Girlfriend

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I think he's joking. I mean he doesn't look like a troll and seems fairly young. Which is to say he probably could get a real girlfriend and all of this is just for fun.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Beastialman said:
Would it be cheating if he got a new DS?
EPIC hahaha.

OT: I can only go o_O this is very, very weird. Good luck to him anyway even if he is a bit odd.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Look at it this way: now there is a much lower chance that he will ever breed and pass on his madness to his offspring.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
this is the second "weird"(it's only weird to us who aren't that person.) marriage to come this week(or was the other one last week?). are we going to see "woman marries her wii named wiilfred" by next tuesday?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Doug said:
Is "elevated" really the right word for this? Ok, one day, when we have sentient software, MAYBE then this'll be ok, but this in the here and now? It makes me ashamed to be a gamer if this is what people are going to think of us.
The plot of William Gibson's Novel Idoru has an upcomming marriage between an insanely famous rock star and a piece of AI software as a central component. It's actually a pretty good book.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
While I know it's possible this is real, we should remember that Yatta! is actually a joke. But again this IS japan.

dragonnewby

Mar 31, 2009
Well... I had the idea of marrying my copy of Modern Warfare 2 for quite some time... Oh oops did I type this? Forget what I just said XD

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
Uhh... Each to their own I suppose?

Oh, Japan. You're so much more interesting than America.

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
That's... Words do not express the "WTFness" of the situation...

I'm just curious... If someone else were to marry a digital being that for all intents and purposes was the same as the one he married (same name and data and everything), would that be bigamy?

pernastin

Nov 10, 2009
Dash-X said:
I'm just curious... If someone else were to marry a digital being that for all intents and purposes was the same as the one he married (same name and data and everything), would that be bigamy?
That's a good question, actually. Is it about the software or the hardware?

Personally I'd answer that it's neither, and no, I don't think it would in fact be polygamy for several people to marry the same virtual personality. Obviously from a legal perspective, I doubt that's recognized as a marriage, but that's not the point.

I think it's sort of like if there were mass produced companion/lover android/gynoid whatchamacallitoids and people were frequently getting married with them. People who had married the same model would be more like people marrying, say a hundred very identical centuplets, and they would have slightly differing relationships if there were any malleability to the preset personality, which I imagine there is to some small extent even in that dating sim the esteemed Sal9000 is playing. So the important difference among peoples' mass produced spouses would be kind of an emergent property instead of anything readily measurable.

Of course it will no doubt be far more sophisticated by the time those better-half-bots get their release date and the subsequent... release dates... (har har) And people like Sal9000 will be thought of as quaint because dating sims can't possibly compare to the intimacy of having an artificial-flesh-and-blood android companion. Actually, I think that will happen, unless we all kill each other, and then many will no doubt find themselves in despair seeing where humanity has got itself. I know I will. (Right after assembling my own robo-harem, winning a lottery and equipping them with black market military grade parts and starting a crime-fighting organization. It'd be called "Solid Metal Gear" or something. Man, that would be SO awesome...)

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
wow this is a fail, i dont know why some of you are thinking of this as forward thinking, its just plain wierd...

can you imagine if he gets a divorce?
since those things can only say things like "i love you"
imagine the judge proceding over that!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Eclectic Dreck said:
Doug said:
Is "elevated" really the right word for this? Ok, one day, when we have sentient software, MAYBE then this'll be ok, but this in the here and now? It makes me ashamed to be a gamer if this is what people are going to think of us.
The plot of William Gibson's Novel Idoru has an upcomming marriage between an insanely famous rock star and a piece of AI software as a central component. It's actually a pretty good book.
Yeah, but this isn't AI; this a conversation tree with an anime character.

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
Doug said:
Sapient.

Not sentient.

Phoenix1213

Sep 2, 2009
Ithos said:
objectophilia... it's wierd. But whaterver rocks your boat, I guess.
I believe there was a sweedish chick who married the Berlin Wall in secret, I saw a part of the interview.
Yeah, for everyone going "WTF" objectophilia is a real thing. I recall a news story a few weeks, maybe a month or two ago where a woman married a rollercoaster she's been in love with since she was 13.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Well... Everyone already said what's on my mind.

Basically a big "WTF?! o_O".
It's a crazy world we live on people. It's a crazy world.