Japanese Man Marries Videogame Girlfriend

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Japanese Man Marries Videogame Girlfriend

A Japanese man elevated the human race to an entirely new level this past weekend by marrying his videogame girlfriend.

Nene Anegasaki and a Japanese man known as Sal9000 finally got married this past weekend, normally cause for celebration, except for the the fact that Nene Anegasaki is not an actual human; she only exists in the Nintendo DS videogame Love Plus. Sal9000 still "married" her, in a real ceremony that took place in Guam, probably one of the only places you can marry an imaginary being that lives in an electronic device.

The reception was held in Japan, with many attendees that were able to watch Nintendo DSi LL/XL [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTJ3essbQqI], the new humongous version of the DS that was just released in Japan. Evidently, Sal9000 spares no expense on his wife, already upgrading her to the latest hardware.

Love Plus includes three girls, allowing the player to take them out on dates and to interact with them in various ways to attempt to earn their love. Once you do, you've got a companion for life. It's basically like Nintendogs, but it's not illegal to take the relationship one step further.

From the coverage of this marriage, I get the feeling that it is somewhat of a joke. At the same time, I'm not sure what to think at all. I know that there were people around the internet at one time or another that wanted to marry Sonic the Hedgehog, so at the least this is much better than that. If someone's happiness comes from marrying a set of instructions and pixels programmed into a videogame, I'm fine with that, but if this is real Sal9000 has likely ended his chances of ever getting a real girlfriend.

(Via: Boing Boing [http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/24/footage-from-the-fir.html])

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
Japan has been very forward-thinking for a long time with regards to virtual reality, so we should hardly be surprised that a Japanese man was the first person to do this sort of thing.

All the same, though, I have to ask:

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Is "elevated" really the right word for this? Ok, one day, when we have sentient software, MAYBE then this'll be ok, but this in the here and now? It makes me ashamed to be a gamer if this is what people are going to think of us.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Personally I'll wait till they make the virtual reality XXX edition of this game before I show it any interest.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Can we go one week with out causing irreversible damage to video gaming as a respectable medium? Just one week people, one week!

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Oh, come on, like this is the first time something like this has happened.
Besides, people've been petitioning for this to be allowed for a while now. It was bound to happen eventually.

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
This was real...

I... I...

Am lost for words.

Actually, scratch that - what will their children be like?
My guess is that they'd look like Ipods with glasses.

Psychophante

Nov 9, 2009
The walls have truly been broken down.
Hmmm, progress....
How long before someone tries to marry Lara Croft?

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Wonder if his tool is big enough to fit in the cartridge slot. This guy needs serious help.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
messy said:
Can we go one week with out causing irreversible damage to video gaming as a respectable medium? Just one week people, one week!
Apparently not. Next week; divorce cites virtual NPC an affair.