dreamtime

Jan 10, 2009
"Whoops!" *Priest drops DS, Nene dies. One week later Sal9000 commits suicide*
Now THAT would have been fail.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Doug said:
messy said:
Can we go one week with out causing irreversible damage to video gaming as a respectable medium? Just one week people, one week!
Apparently not. Next week; divorce cites virtual NPC an affair.
Now that I'd like to see "don't lie to me you excepted her power up"

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, sounds like a joke.

Also I'll be honest, having a wedding ceremony does not nessicarly make them married in any kind of legal or recognized sense. It just means the guy is goofing off. Now if there is an official marriage lisecense somewhere, and he's paying his taxes AS married that would be something, but right now all we know is that he held a marriage ceremony, and that is nothing really new.

As far as marrying an artificial intelligence, I'm fairly open minded to the idea of love existing in that context, however again I'm unsure as to whether such a thing should (or ever) will be legally recognized for tax purposes or whatever.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Akai Shizuku said:
Well, come virtual reality, this should be increasingly common, and dare I say, normal.
BUT...there isn't a sentient being behind the character. Its just an algorithm that tries to pretend to be sentient. And I'm guessing it doesn't even do that right.

When we achieve a sentient program/computer, I would accept then that its possible for a 'not real' person to be marriable. I mean, you wouldn't allow the marriage of a man to a light bulb...?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Therumancer said:
As far as marrying an artificial intelligence, I'm fairly open minded to the idea of love existing in that context, however again I'm unsure as to whether such a thing should (or ever) will be legally recognized for tax purposes or whatever.
If the AI is sentient and a truely intelligent 'lifeform' (needs a better word to describe it), then yeah, it makes sense for a human to be allowed to marry it if they want too. The problem I have with this is its just a simple algorithm. Probably not much more advanced than a conversation tree (I'm guessing - I've not played this game).
messy said:
Doug said:
messy said:
Can we go one week with out causing irreversible damage to video gaming as a respectable medium? Just one week people, one week!
Apparently not. Next week; divorce cites virtual NPC an affair.
Now that I'd like to see "don't lie to me you excepted her power up"
"Your honour, I'd like to submit Image C, a copy of the naked Alyx mod for Half Life 2..."

Defendant: "IT was just to see how funny it was, I swear!"

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Hehe, well if this kind of thing strikes his fancy, who cares - he is hurting no-one. I'd like to see what the "marriage" means legally though.

Mr.logic

Nov 18, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Nene Anegasaki and a Japanese man known as Sal9000
I like how he sounds like the more likely of the two to be digital.

That's all I have to say.
Because I'm just...
So close to speechless.

THE WORLD IS THIS CLOSE TO DISASTER, PEOPLE
... would anyone be offended if i preached?

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
But how would they have sex.... ho... ho God... eww, thoughts in my head... eww that's just gross. Seriously though, the getting married under a gundam win robot... that was cool, I'm open minded about these things but hey that was cool... this... this is just sad... it's a machine, it doesn't think, feel or love... but hey I've seen weirder... I know this girl who married a wall. Personally I'd suggest professional help, I think he as that object fixation thing (can't remember the proper terminology). However if this is what he really want's then well good luck to him... just let's hope he doesn't leave "her" on the bus.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Doug said:
Is "elevated" really the right word for this? Ok, one day, when we have sentient software, MAYBE then this'll be ok, but this in the here and now? It makes me ashamed to be a gamer if this is what people are going to think of us.
Same here, plus people already think of us as violence junkies before this guy came along.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Psychophante said:
The walls have truly been broken down.
Hmmm, progress....
How long before someone tries to marry Lara Croft?
I could imagine that in a world where people can marry videogame characters you'd actually have to go to dinner at their respective development studios to have dinner with the "parents" and ask for their 1's and 0's in marriage...

Such an odd world we're becoming.

Psychophante

Nov 9, 2009
Archemetis said:
Psychophante said:
The walls have truly been broken down.
Hmmm, progress....
How long before someone tries to marry Lara Croft?
I could imagine that in a world where people can marry videogame characters you'd actually have to go to dinner at their respective development studios to have dinner with the "parents" and ask for their 1's and 0's in marriage...

Such an odd world we're becoming.
Amen.
There's a sitcom in there somewhere.
A very bad one...

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Someone should have directed him to those Maria Ozawa dolls ... Now I'm not exactly sure which one is the 'worst'.