Japanese Robot Car Drives Itself, Seats One

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Japanese Robot Car Drives Itself, Seats One

Hitachi's Robot for Personal Intelligent Transport System (Ropits) will be able to be called from several computer networked "stops" around Tsukuba city.

The "designated driver" may become a thing of the past with Hitachi's new robot car that uses GPS and laser sensors to drive itself. The Robot for Personal Intelligent Transport System (or Roptis for short) will make its debut as a new form of public transport for the city of Tsukuba, Ibarakai Prefecture in Japan. The single occupancy robot can pick up and drop off passengers autonomously, and comes with a joystick to let riders take control in an emergency.

The Roptis was originally designed to help those who have difficulty walking, specifically the elderly, who are becoming more and more abundant in Japan due to its rapidly aging population. As such, it is small enough to maneuver through pedestrian spaces such as sidewalks and parks.

Several computer networked "stops" will be placed around Tsukuba city, where passengers can call for a Roptis to come and pick them up. Passengers need only enter their desired address into the car's touch screen GPS, and it will automatically drive them there. The Roptis comes equipped with 'active suspension' which controls each wheel individually to enable it to drive over curbs and uneven ground while keeping passengers comfortably upright. Laser distance sensors help keep it from crashing into obstacles.

[gallery=1138]

The vehicle could become the late-night transport option for Japan's "salarymen," - businessmen who are often pressured into working very late nights and attending "not technically compulsory but everyone will look down on you if you don't go" after-work drinking parties.

Source & Images: Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2292060/Youre-late-Jeremy-Clarkson-Japan-unveils-single-passenger-robot-cars-drive-themselves.html]

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Didn't you know? Everyone in japan wears helmets all the time. It protects them from the falling debris that result from all the atomic monster fights that happen over there.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
RicoADF said:
Abomination said:
If it is supposedly safe, why is he wearing a helmet?
Probably laws if its classified as a scooter type vehicle.
That doesn't sound very plausible.
Sidney Buit said:
Didn't you know? Everyone in japan wears helmets all the time. It protects them from the falling debris that result from all the atomic monster fights that happen over there.
That, however, makes far more sense.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Yes, it's cool that it can drive itself. Yes, it's cool that it has all of these modern innovations packed within such a small package. But why, when I look at it, do I immediately think of this:

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
It is good to be reminded that whilst there are some things so very, very wrong about Japan there are also some things very, very right about Japan.

This sounds like an actual awesome and cool invention. But as mentioned above, the design could be a lot better.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
So it's basically a google car for the space-impaired? Or is it more of a taxi service?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Desert Punk said:
kailus13 said:
So it's basically a google car for the space-impaired? Or is it more of a taxi service?
It would appear to be a taxi service that is automated
I'd like an actual taxi, so I can ask said taxi driver to "FOLLOW THAT CAR!" and "Take me away from here." You know, because life is a movie. A shitty romantic comedy where I don't get any ladies.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
the darknees abyss said:
It looks like this car made for children.
I first read that as "It looks like this car made of children." - which swings it right back round from 'awesome things Japan has done' to 'creepy things Japan has done'.

Semi-related note (more related to previous posters' comments).. quoth my level 2 Japanese teacher years ago in response to my question: "In Japan, whenever we launch a giant robot we shout "Hasshin!"". This same lady taught us the phrase "The penguin is on Chikako's head." Wonderful lady.

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Desert Punk said:
Evil Smurf said:
Desert Punk said:
kailus13 said:
It would appear to be a taxi service that is automated
I'd like an actual taxi, so I can ask said taxi driver to "FOLLOW THAT CAR!" and "Take me away from here." You know, because life is a movie.
I dunno, seeing one of these things chasing a real car down the highway while the person in the robo taxi is in a shoot out with the real car...

I think that would make for a bit of awesome! Especially if the robo taxi has the voice of Kit from Night Rider
Could the voice be programmable? I'd like Arnold Schwarzenegger's.

<spoiler=When I read Hitachi I thought of this>https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQd3Z95p2H370r1mgHh4YVeKfaLBDhHW05OR9o5YxzwlSGoC4OHjg
It's what you think it's for. You dirty bastards.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Evil Smurf said:
Back massages?

Does this car talk to you, or is it entirely silent? I struggle to think which would be weirder when drunk.

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
kailus13 said:
Evil Smurf said:
Back massages?

Does this car talk to you, or is it entirely silent? I struggle to think which would be weirder when drunk.
lt's only a back massager if you're a prude.

It be an odd drunk experience anyway.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Evil Smurf said:
kailus13 said:
Evil Smurf said:
Back massages?

lt's only a back massager if you're a prude.

It be an odd drunk experience anyway.
Imagine if it had the voice of a nagging housewife. "You're drunk aren't you? I can't help it they made me. That's what you always say."

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I like seeing new technologies developed. But not when it makes people lazy. Instead of trying to make cars that drive on their own why don't more people try to do what the good people of Amsterdam and Copenhagen are doing and ride a bicycle? It's healthy, it feels good and it's environment friendly. About 40% of people living in Amsterdam ride their bikes on a daily basis. Cycling culture in Japan used to be strong. But they're becoming more and more like the US.