Japanese Robot Has a Fatal Attraction

NeverAiling

Mar 10, 2009
Why do we create robots to test anything? This kind of simulation is gratuitous. People are imagining anything interesting going on there. This kind of thing, if it could even be done, would be better accomplished a software.

Japanse simply have a robo fetish. There is no need to test any emotion-replicating software with humanoid machine parts.

A text interface would suffice.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Fantastic.

I am however more intrigued by the fact they left one single intern together with a potentially overly protective robot. With the robot, cough, turned on.

I swear the pun was unintentional.

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
Better start my work on a thunder hammer. +20 Against robots, 20-48 Electric damage.

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
It does remind me of the Geth...

But In all seriousness, why would someone sink money into such a worthless product, besides the elderly or infirm, who would want a robot that displays affection?
That money could have gone to developing the next Mechwarrior, a concept with true potential

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
This story is a hoax [http://i.gizmodo.com/5164841/robot-programmed-to-love-traps-woman-in-lab-hugs-her-repeatedly].

Bigfatstupid

Aug 8, 2008
WHY!?

Why are we giving robots emotions?!

Has no one seen Terminator? I AM ROBOT? WAR OF THE WORLDS?! (not really robots, but you get my point!)

What are we gonna do next, teach them how to shoot a gun? Maybe how to hack into enemy databases?

I don't want a talking toaster that wants to know 'how I'm doing' I want it to keep quiet and make me some damn toast! I might sound a little crazy (Twitches) But can scientist stop trying to do stupid things? You know, like NOT giving a walking machine with the power to crush a human being, emotions?!

. . . . .

I'm hungry.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
black lincon said:
galletea said:
Every new robot brings us one step closer to the terminator scenario. Although it is fascinating, I do wonder whether they should be doing this research, just because they can.
Do you really think that trying to give robots emotions like love is going to be the death of us all? yes it's creepy, and yes it's unfinished, but if you program all robots to have some sort of love for humanity as a whole then perhaps terminator scenarios will never occur.
Love has killed more than one person before.
But still, it sounds like they're just trying to make things more and more dangerous.

Feb 13, 2008
Milkman Dan said:
This story is a hoax [http://i.gizmodo.com/5164841/robot-programmed-to-love-traps-woman-in-lab-hugs-her-repeatedly].
Interesting. It's a very good hoax if it is. I was curious that it only seems to appear in English language publications, and that no normal mention is made of Toshiba Akimu Robotic Research Institute.

I'll do a bit more snooping now.

Edit: I've got nothing confirming or denying but the trail seems to stop at March 3rd. Will check back later.

Edit: Ok, the robot pictured is actually RI-MAN, who does exist but is for helping the elderly.

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
Trivun said:
Isn't there something to test whether a robot has human or near human intelligence? The Turing Test, my flatmate was doing work on Turing Computers a while ago (she does Philosophy). Apparently in the test, if a chatbot on the computer/robot can persuade a human chatting to it that the computer is actually human (obviously the human doesn't know who he/she's talking to), then the robot is deemed to be a Turing computer and has human intelligence. Needless to say that no computer so far has ever passed the test.
Close, but not quite.
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test
The Turing test is a proposal for a test of a machine's ability to demonstrate intelligence. Described by Alan Turing in the 1950 paper "Computing Machinery and Intelligence", it proceeds as follows: a human judge engages in a natural language conversation with one human and one machine, each of which tries to appear human. All participants are placed in isolated locations. If the judge cannot reliably tell the machine from the human, the machine is said to have passed the test.

Feb 13, 2008
TBH, the furthest back I can trace it is a site called Muckflash so it "seems" to be a hoax. Kudos to Milkman Dan but even the big sites have only just realised. Seems I'm in good company.

Dragonblade146

Dec 6, 2008
AHHHH!
Robots with emotion????
OMG
TERMINATOR!!!
Err... well actually they didn't have emotion.
Mabye we are safe.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Hopefully, they'll be able to create a special robot that feels the exact opposite...
Bite my shiny metal ass!