Japanese Slim PS3 Commercials Are Really Weird

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Destal said:
Between this and that boob advertisement, I'm getting a little disturbed by the marketing technique's coming out of Japan. Combine this with the Gundam guy and the guy who killed his mom over the remote...the creepiness factor is certainly rising.
I thought these were very well done.

People just have really odd views of what is disturbing these days.

Then again ankles used to be considered obscene so to each their own.

Douk said:
My PS3 Commercial:

"Hello I'm Douk. And this is a PS3. Its got a lot of cool games where you do things. Some games for the Ps3 only because its such a greedy magnificent bastard are ___, ___, and ___! Only $399.00(or something) so buy one today!"

I bet I'd get tons of sales like that, then I'd deliver the same speech with different stats for Nintendo then Microsoft. I'll make millions!
People would cock their heads to the side curious as to why your commercial is charging a full 100 dollars more than any store selling their PS3's :p.

Rutawitz said:
thats slim? wtf
The size difference is actually pretty substantial.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Onmi said:
AceDiamond said:
Onmi said:
Ya sure?

I mean in comparison I guess.
Actually I think that was the most crazy of the CTR commercials, which was still fairly straightforward (the others were just him trash-talking elderly people next to him in traffic). Hell out-of-control driving was how the Game Boy Color was advertised at one point.

Still, there was gameplay footage involved, which was sort of my point but not really.
Huh really? I thought that was the Sega Saturn, in Australia the GBC was advertised as a guy running around a black and white street before entering a world of colour.
Nah we had that too. This was later in the GBC's life when they put out more case colors for it besides the Purple (sorry, Indigo) That Nintendo seemed to be slightly obsessed with.

Observe

In addition to this there was one where a jumbo-jet pilot leaves the Intercom on while playing R-Type DX, thus freaking out the passengers.

Rand-m

Feb 8, 2009
I really don't see what's so creepy about these commercials... They're weird, sure, but kinda cool, and it gets it's point across...

Also, the first guy in the first commercial looks like Steve Aoki.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DO6Y9_5e7A

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
How the bloody hell do people in japan even know what that add is for? If the fine folks at the escapist hadn't said what it was in the article I would have thought it was a public service announcement about the anger induced seizure one might experience when they realize they've bought a ps3.

-EDIT-
Apparently hooked on phonics has failed me once more, for some reason I read "PS3 Sims Commercial" instead of "PS3 Slim Commercial" Now it makes much more sense, but I still stand by my earlier interpretation as a double use for the add.

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
How the bloody hell do people in japan even know what that add is for? If the fine folks at the escapist hadn't said what it was in the article I would have thought it was a public service announcement about the anger induced seizure one might experience when they realize they've bought a ps3.

-EDIT-
Apparently hooked on phonics has failed me once more, for some reason I read "PS3 Sims Commercial" instead of "PS3 Slim Commercial" Now it makes much more sense, but I still stand by my earlier interpretation as a double use for the add.
I guess you're vision is off too. It partially shows a PS3 in each commercial several times. But anyways, what is it the OP would like to see in such a commercial? You have redesigned product that had been on the market for two years, so there's not much new information for can say about it. It's just smaller. Show the product, make it stand out, get people talking one way or another. Boom, done. Now get hammered. Some of you people would greatly benefit from a introductory business class, seriously.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
darthmath said:
this is a perfect example of subliminal messaging and its quite illegal in the states.
Hence, why Japan has so much more fun than the rest of the world. They don't have the same pesky rules as us.

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
What the fuck? I have no idea how I'm suppose to feel about those commercials. Should I laugh, cry or be afraid? I mostly feel violated and I have no idea why!!!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Ghost8585 said:
KeyMaster45 said:

-EDIT-
I guess you're vision is off too. It partially shows a PS3 in each commercial several times. But anyways, what is it the OP would like to see in such a commercial? You have redesigned product that had been on the market for two years, so there's not much new information for can say about it. It's just smaller. Show the product, make it stand out, get people talking one way or another. Boom, done. Now get hammered. Some of you people would greatly benefit from a introductory business class, seriously.
Well let's figure something out here. The idea was to get me interested in the product, yes? Am I interested? Fuck no I'm not. Boom. Done. Now get off your high horse. Just because people say "there's no such thing as bad publicity" doesn't make it true. This is a bizarre ad made by Sony's classically damaged advertising bureau. All I got from it was "PS3 Slim: It makes you have an o-face while gaming"

Trust me, you don't actually want to look like you're staining your pants while playing video games. You can feel that way, but looking that way tends to make people quickly scoot away from you.

Know what I would've done? Probably put something in about the price cut, but hey, I didn't go to business school so I must be a retard

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe some people don't think it's that effective?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Japanese Slim PS3 Commercials Are Really Weird
Fixed that for you.

I kid I kid. But those are some odd commercials, especially because I don't see how it specifically relates to the Slim. Yes they show the Slim a few times, but replace it with a regular PS3, and nothing changes.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I thought it was hella cool.
I mean, people using the product, obviously having a good time, but with a bizarre undertone to make the ad stand out.
As far as advertising goes, this is ridiculously cliche'.

Worsle

Jul 4, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Ghost8585 said:
KeyMaster45 said:

-EDIT-
Well let's figure something out here. The idea was to get me interested in the product, yes? Am I interested? Fuck no I'm not. Boom. Done. Now get off your high horse. Just because people say "there's no such thing as bad publicity" doesn't make it true. This is a bizarre ad made by Sony's classically damaged advertising bureau. All I got from it was "PS3 Slim: It makes you have an o-face while gaming"

Trust me, you don't actually want to look like you're staining your pants while playing video games. You can feel that way, but looking that way tends to make people quickly scoot away from you.

Know what I would've done? Probably put something in about the price cut, but hey, I didn't go to business school so I must be a retard

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe some people don't think it's that effective?
See how do you get feelings across simply if you don't show them as facial expressions? Sure no one would really act like that while playing a game but that is not the point, the idea is to get across the idea of what range of feelings you would be have. To many people have things like tivos these days anyway so writing and words in commercials will become less and less important as time goes on, making adds like this a lot more sensible and getting across extra information like price cuts impossible. It is much better to have people thinking about it and find about the price cut some other way.

Did it occur to you that maybe, just maybe your not liking this commercial does not mean it is not a good one? It is short simple are remarkable to the point I don't at all see what is that weird about it. I think the only reason this is mentioned is because sony have done some truly bizarre ads in the past.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Ghost8585 said:
KeyMaster45 said:

-EDIT-

Well, yes, but, no. Because this is just spreading the hype of the re-release. The internet is propped to do the rest.

Jinxzy

Jul 2, 2008
I actually really like the commercial shows a lot of emotion, I know some people say "I don't do that" but really you do. From a little flinch to your hands in the air. It's shows how much games affect us while we play. It's like the true enjoyment of video gaming.