Japanese Slim PS3 Commercials Are Really Weird

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
I was expecting a duck in a suit, a disfigured humanoid or something (now those PS ads were creepy), very disappointing from the description. The only thing creepy about these ads perhaps are some of the tattoos / piercings :D

I thought it captured the emotions and reactions when playing a (hopefully) good game, so this is actually quite odd for Sony in that it's actually relevant to what their advertising.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
the Japanese s translated into "the heart moves more"... So I'm guessing its meant to portray the varied emotions you will feel when you play the PS3...? I dunno... its still wierd...

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
...Yeah, that's really not that strange for Japan, where nearly every commercial is chock full of WTF.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
The ads make sense to me: going through the various emotions when playing games.

Of course, it'd be very "WTF" to anyone who avoids gaming, wondering what these people are pulling faces at.

Sigel

Jul 6, 2009
Schmeh...It looked like to me they were more showing their "O"face rather than their game face. I didn't find the commercial in itself to be very creepy, just ackward. That is just my perverted opinion though.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I still remember the first commercials for the PS3, with the psychic doll that cried blood at the end of the commercial. *Shudder*

FistsOfTinsel

Jun 23, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Is that what you actually look like when you play the PS3? I certainly hope not.
I'm guessing most posters here can only hope they look this good when they play games; console commercials (like all commercials) feature folks that are 2 or 3 sigma above the average person when it comes to attractiveness.

As for disturbing? They just want to say the PS3 has a new face, just like you have a new face when you play their games. My favorite goofy Japanese game commercial came out 10 years ago for Dreamcast's "Chu Chu Rocket":

http://www.youtube.com/v/ga62uiXbEjI

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
These commercials confuse me. I really don't see the---

MUST PURCHASE PS3... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD...

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
I'll admit that it's kind of strange, but it makes more sense than other Sony commercials, like the baby doll one, or the squirrels.

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Ghost8585 said:
KeyMaster45 said:
How the bloody hell do people in japan even know what that add is for? If the fine folks at the escapist hadn't said what it was in the article I would have thought it was a public service announcement about the anger induced seizure one might experience when they realize they've bought a ps3.

-EDIT-
Apparently hooked on phonics has failed me once more, for some reason I read "PS3 Sims Commercial" instead of "PS3 Slim Commercial" Now it makes much more sense, but I still stand by my earlier interpretation as a double use for the add.
I guess you're vision is off too. It partially shows a PS3 in each commercial several times. But anyways, what is it the OP would like to see in such a commercial? You have redesigned product that had been on the market for two years, so there's not much new information for can say about it. It's just smaller. Show the product, make it stand out, get people talking one way or another. Boom, done. Now get hammered. Some of you people would greatly benefit from a introductory business class, seriously.
Well let's figure something out here. The idea was to get me interested in the product, yes? Am I interested? Fuck no I'm not. Boom. Done. Now get off your high horse. Just because people say "there's no such thing as bad publicity" doesn't make it true. This is a bizarre ad made by Sony's classically damaged advertising bureau. All I got from it was "PS3 Slim: It makes you have an o-face while gaming"

Trust me, you don't actually want to look like you're staining your pants while playing video games. You can feel that way, but looking that way tends to make people quickly scoot away from you.

Know what I would've done? Probably put something in about the price cut, but hey, I didn't go to business school so I must be a retard

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe some people don't think it's that effective?
Has it occurred to yourself that some people think it is? Interpret it however your perverted mind will (or perhaps it was a sad attempt at humor), but the I'll spell it out for you.

Said person is doing something that is making them excited, have exaggerated emotional/facial response. S/he's really getting into whatever it is. What is it? PS3, ohhhh. (Silly? Yes. But spelling things out for people is sort of silly now isn't it?)

At this point you could immediately dismiss it as crap or (and more importantly) a non-gamer may want to know more. Part of this reason why is advert doesn't work for us on the forum is that it's clearly stated ahead of time that it's for the PS3, killing any mystery.

I admit they could have shown a quick shot of the slim with the new price but maybe they felt it would have lost the mystique they were going for. And I'm not on a high horse mate, you're the one who thinks the world revolves around them, believing that since the advert didn't work on you specifically it's a massive failure.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Ghost8585 said:
KeyMaster45 said:
How the bloody hell do people in japan even know what that add is for? If the fine folks at the escapist hadn't said what it was in the article I would have thought it was a public service announcement about the anger induced seizure one might experience when they realize they've bought a ps3.

-EDIT-
Apparently hooked on phonics has failed me once more, for some reason I read "PS3 Sims Commercial" instead of "PS3 Slim Commercial" Now it makes much more sense, but I still stand by my earlier interpretation as a double use for the add.
I guess you're vision is off too. It partially shows a PS3 in each commercial several times.
Well I am blind as a bat without my glasses and I have to sit at the computer w/o them or I get major headaches :p

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
What the fuck...

Why can't advertisements advertise what they're supposed to be advertising? At least the stupid nut commercials actually showed the PSP. In what ways is this supposed to make you want to buy a PS3?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Chicago Ted said:
These commercials confuse me. I really don't see the---

MUST PURCHASE PS3... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD...
YEEEESSSSS... PS3 WILL BETTER ALLLLL... INCIDENTLYYYY, MUST WATCH MORE FUTURAAAMMMMAAAAA...

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Play-faces - associating facial expressions with game sounds - good commercial
David Lynch - super-powered Bambi can destroy cars in fictional video game world - good commercial

Citrus Insanity said:
Anyone remember that commercial with the doll [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU]?
CREEPY FUCKING COMMERCIAL THAT I HAD ERASED FROM MY MEMORY - WHO WANTS THAT? WHO WANTS THAT SCARY FUCKING MONOLITH CONNECTED TO THEIR TELEVISION? WHO WANTS TO BE THAT CHILD, CRYING WITH FIRE IN ITS EYES?

STOP FUCKING WITH MY MIND SONY!

STOP FUCKING WITH MY MIND

edit: the David Lynch bambi commercial is good. the others are whacked out JUNK
edit 2: the doll commercial is horrifying shit, but the rubix cube from the same series is brilliant. it can do the math AND make the scene.