Japanese Survey Lists Top Reasons Why 3DS Isn't Selling

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Japanese Survey Lists Top Reasons Why 3DS Isn't Selling

From health concerns to the lack of Game Boy compatibility, some of the reasons given for the 3DS' drop in Japan sales are unexpected.

Goo Ranking, a Japanese research group that surveys the public on lifestyle choices and technology, recently polled 1,100 Japanese citizens (39.5% male, 60.5% female) on why they haven't bought a 3DS. Here are the top three reasons (in order): too expensive, DS/DSi is good enough and concern about eye strain. The survey goes on to list 17 more reasons, some expected and some a bit more unique.

Here are some other noteworthy responses, followed by their placing in the poll: lackluster launch titles (#5), no must-have titles released (#6) and weak battery (#10). These are all complaints we've heard from Western critics and consumers, including [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.285341-GameStop-Predicts-Slower-than-Expected-Sales-for-the-3DS-in-the-Future"]our users[/a]. However, the poll also lists unexpected responses, commenting on concern about the system's weight (#10), lack of alternate system colors (#12) and the 3DS' inability to play Game Boy games (#13).

The Nintendo's new handheld had a strong launch both in Japan and the West, but sales have not been consistent over the months. Japan 3DS sales dropped from approx. 50,500 a week in late March to 18,300 in early May. The NPD numbers show a [a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34652/US_Wii_3DS_Hardware_Sales_Drop_In_April.php"]similar drop[/a] since the US launch: from 400,000 sales during its [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108836-Nintendo-Calls-US-3DS-Launch-a-Smashing-Success"]launch week[/a] to 194,000 sales during the entire month of April.

It's hard to say how accurate the survey is due to the small pool of people involved and Goo Ranking's decision to separate similar responses. For example, the fourth most popular response (concern of the 3DS causing illness) could have been combined with the concern over eye strain (the #3 choice). It's also unclear whether those who were polled picked one response or ranked a couple - after all, it's more likely a combination of the listed concerns turned away potential early-adopters.

Nintendo needs to release some quality games or lower the price, if it wants this trend to change. The PSP is selling nearly twice the amount of the 3DS, in Japan this month, and the upcoming release of Sony's new handheld (currently rumored title: [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110473-Rumor-Sony-Unveiling-NGP-as-PS-Vita"]PlayStation Vita[/a]) isn't going to make things easier on them.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata [a href="http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/04/nintendo-3ds-sales/"]recently commented[/a] on the unexpected drop in sales (internationally) at an investor meeting: "We recognize that we are in a situation where we need to step up our efforts to further promote the spread of Nintendo 3DS."

Why haven't you bought a 3DS yet, and what would it take to get you to purchase?

Source: [a href="http://cache001.ranking.goo.ne.jp/crnk/ranking/027/nintendo3ds_notbuy/p2/"]Goo Ranking[/a], via [a href="http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/01/goo_3ds_survey/"]Andriasang[/a]

Dec 14, 2009
It probably has something to do with the fact there really isn't really that great a line up of games worth buying the 3DS for.

Also, I refuse to buy one until the inevitable 'lite' version that has better screen resolution and longer battery life.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
My younger brother bought one, and even that was more for getting to see what it's like. I agree that there are simply no games released that are worth getting. The only games i've got my sights on are Kid Icarus and The legend of Zelda: OoT

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I havnt got a 3DS because I forgot it existed until now, and ID buy onew if it dispensed free blowjobs and pudding.
And my little pony toys.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
It probably has something to do with the fact there really isn't really that great a line up of games worth buying the 3DS for.

Also, I refuse to buy one until the inevitable 'lite' version that has better screen resolution and longer battery life.
exactly this.

I want games and a decent battery life.

And when I say games I mean a Pokemon title.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Number 6 says it all, NO GAMES
just wait for the holiday season when the AAA titles start coming, these things will fly off shelves.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
cursedseishi said:
"3DS' inability to play Game Boy games (#13)"

That's unexpected? Hell, one of the main reasons I stuck with the original DS was because of its backwards playability.

And is among one of several reasons, most of which listed by that survey unsurprisingly, why I'm not too interested in getting one.
This. I stuck with my DS classic and have no intention of ever giving it up.
I did buy the 3DS because, despite the name, it IS a new console and so will have the awesome new games. Eventually. Give it a couple more weeks.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
imnotparanoid said:
I havnt got a 3DS because I forgot it existed until now, and ID buy onew if it dispensed free blowjobs and pudding.
And my little pony toys.
dont combine those 3 things

I dont want a 3DS it isnt backward compatible with GB games its battery is crap it has no games (practically anyway) and packs an expensive gimick (3D) that I will never use.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

EXACTLY. Did the survey have a "waiting till upgraded version comes out next year with a host of quality games from now till then out"? I'd tick that box. plus price...thats a heavy price.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
imnotparanoid said:
And my little pony toys.
if it did that there would be no reason to ever make anything else again, ever.
humanity will go extint in one generation since we would have reached the pinicle of what socity can accoplish

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Drakmeire said:
imnotparanoid said:
And my little pony toys.
if it did that there would be no reason to ever make anything else again, ever.
humanity will go extint in one generation since we would have reached the pinicle of what socity can accoplish
My god what have I done!

dropZero

Feb 10, 2011
I haven't bought one because (1) I'm not interested in 3D. (2) I haven't seen any games on it that make it a must have system. And (3) I don't care about Nintendo re-releasing older games on the system.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I'm not getting one until they release some more quality games in the UK like I know they will eventually, it would be nice if the price dropped a little too though that isn't so much of a concern.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Gee who would of thought a 250 dollar system with a bad gimmick and a library consisting of games we've already played before with some shoddy 3D slapped on wouldn't appeal to people. The sad part is I really don't see things getting better for the 3DS either. There are no upcoming games that look like they will do much to save the system and even if they did it won't change the fact that "3D" gaming just isn't a huge selling point for most people.

Nintendo caught lightning in a bottle with the Wii. However, relying on a bad gimmick to get your systems over is going to fail far more than it's going to succeed. If Nintendo wants to keep the money train a rollin' they need to ditch the gimmicks and focus on making a quality system with good and original titles.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I'll get a 3DS when they put out a 3DS exclusive Pokemon game. That's really all I use my DS for. And at least my old DS Lite lets me still play Emerald and Leaf Green.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Get some decent games to show case this 3D malarky and maybe I'd consider. A price drop would sell it to me however. But by that point, Ninty will have made a lite version as they seem to be the Japanese Apple.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
My reason is this: I hate 3D. It is a gimmick to me, and not a good one.

That, and that I didn't see any titles that I wanted. I can think of no game that I have ever played that would be improved by 3D

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Nice to see that waiting for the version with the bigger screen makes the list. Maybe people have finally realized Nintendo's portable division is nearly as bad as Apple for slapping it's devoted user base in the face with yearly minor updates of the same basic hardware.