Japanese Survey Lists Top Reasons Why 3DS Isn't Selling

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
The fact that Nintendo thought there'd be any kind of major market for a 250 dollar gameboy is shocking. I wouldn't have spent that kind of money on what is essentially a last-gen console, even before the recession. And i'm one of the people who actually spent 400 on the PS3.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
My original, DS Fat still functions perfectly fine. There just isn't anything Nintendo could do to convince me to pick up a 3DS, unless they were paying me.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
My reason is number 12. System color. My favourite color is red, they give the choice of black and blue and after a while they will change to other colors BECAUSE THEY'VE ALWAYS DONE SO IN THE PAST!

The only games the true Nintendo fans want are the re-boots Nintendo gives out because they know it's quality. But those are games they must've played before. This is dissapointing because they feel it's all the same and it won't have the satisfactory feeling anymore. (calling it: the satis-factor)

Nintendo had some classics like Earthbound and Pikmin which some never played but can still be fun! But they refuse to let ANYTHING happen to those titles and instead we get Metroid Other M or Mii Party. Which is just a spinoff of Super Mario Party which began to be bland after number 3... How many are there now? 8?

Back to the DS. The DS has a magical function: the touchpad. This gives it a new function never before on handhelds: a direct interactive interface. What could they do with this? Make RTS games. How many are there? 4 if you count all the 4 Tower Defence games. That's too little! Even shuffleware doesn't bother!

I'm done

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Everyone complaining about the 3D...tough...it's called the 3DS for a reason (clue is in the name) if you don't like 3D so much...turn it off, but we all know Nintendo changes what are usually gimmicks into something that works (Wii for example, and weren't they the first company to use CD disks for consoles? Something else that was laughable at the time?)

OT: I'm getting one at Christmas, like i am betting MANY people will be.

Give it time, it will pick up, also sales could be dropping in Japan because everyone has one xD

Btw can the 3DS play original DS games? Just wondering?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
OK, look, this is ridiculous...

So the 3DS hasn't had the set-the-world-on-fire, destroy-everything-else launch people thought (and hyped) it would. So what? Even with those numbers mentioned in the article, it's still selling a veritable shitload of consoles. The reason the PSP may be selling more is because its been out for fucking years now, and anyone interested in one can pick one up cheap as chips.

You know what other handheld had a 'dodgy' start? The bloody original DS! It took a couple of years for it to find its feet, establish a good library of games, and then came the ludicrous sales.

This is a weighted article. The author claims in the title that the 3DS isn't selling. Yet, according to the numbers in the article, the 3DS would still have sold just under 300,000 units for May alone. If that's what counts as 'not selling' in the games industry, then the other consoles should look very fucking worried indeed.
Also this^

He speaks the words of wisdom on this thread, especially the bolded part

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I'm waiting until they have a bigger lineup of games and I have more disposable income.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
I haven't got one yet because I'm skint and I'm already getting a video camera for my birthday coming up. I'll get one, but probably when the games start coming out and it comes down in price...which is looking to be Christmas, so it's all working out for me I think...

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Lord_Seth said:
Inkidu said:
Then number one reason I've not bought one? There's no guarantee the 3D works for me. Sure, 3D has probably come a long way, but when everyone was oohing and ahing in the Imax theater I was thinking about how lame it is and I can't even tell. I have 22/200 eyesight correctable to 20/30. Add in a constant micro-twitching that I've naturally compensated for with binocular vision the 3D just doesn't work for me.
Did you consider just turning the 3D off? Really, I'm amazed how many people say "I don't like 3D" as a reason for not buying it when you can turn the 3D off.

Anyway, once the hyped titles start coming out I predict sales will go up.
I'm actually kind of baffled. I had never thought of that. Yes, I should go out and buy a $300-plus DS that's selling point is 3D gaming. It's... just so simple. I never said I didn't like 3D, I said that it has yet to work on me. There's a difference between shelling out ten bucks on a 3D movie only to see it in normal-D and then shelling out a couple of hundred for a 3D device.

Like or don't like 3D has nothing to do with it, it just doesn't work with my eyesight.

EDIT: I'm sorry two hundred and fifty dollar 3D thing, not a three hundred dollar 3D thing.

Sad Face

Oct 29, 2010
I have no money, and even if I did there are no games out right now that I'd pay full price for, so it just makes no sense for me to go into debt buying it. When I do get it I probably won't even use the 3D part.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I have a few reasons why I haven't bought a 3DS. One major reason is some of the remakes they are releasing for it, such as Ocarina of Time.

I can easily get the original Ocarina of Time for $10 from the Wii's virtual console instead of shelling out around $300 or so for both a 3DS and the remake. (Which I did, and in the process of playing though. :p)

Still, I'm confident this system will (if it hasn't already) sell a LOT better then the Game Boy Micro. Remember that thing?

minespatch

Jan 13, 2011
Sorry to sound in bad taste but that image of a new Yangus game is making me excited! Wish they could translate the PS2 Young Yangus game.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I have almost all of those concerns, but where's the option "I'm waiting for the inevitable 3DS lite where they fix all the problems"? Cuz that's the big one for me.
But the PSP selling more than a Nintendo console in Japan?? That's scary!!

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
the_green_dragon said:
Zero puncuation told me not to buy one. Mainly his point that u have to hold ur head at just the right distance and just the right height. Why make a handheld gaming system that needed that?

Should just make a 3DS helmet or something.
Nintendo already tried that one.