Japanese Town Plans Giant Robot Throwdown

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Japanese Town Plans Giant Robot Throwdown

When your country famously builds a life-sized statue of an iconic giant robot, there's only one thing to do: Build the giant robot's rival. (And then make them fight.)

When Japan version [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92322-Japan-Finishes-Life-Size-Gundam]).

With the full-scale Gundam statue now gone, the town of Mibu [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mibu,_Tochigi] in Tochigi Prefecture - sometimes known as Japan's "Toy Town" for its plastic model factories - wants to fill the nation's giant robot void with yet another statue of a mecha from the famous Mobile Suit Gundam anime.

This time, though, they're paying tribute to the bad guy.

A volunteer group formed from Mibu locals has started raising money to build a life-sized version of the iconic red MS-06 Zaku II piloted by Mobile Suit Gundam's chief antagonist and rival, Char Aznable. The idea was first raised back in December at a town meeting, but plans were only formalized last month when members of the team consulted with the copyright holders at Bandai and determined that the construction would cost several billion yen (tens of millions in USD) to complete.

The group is taking donations over the internet to help get things started. "There are Gundam fans all over the world," said Hiroshi Takayama, one of the group's founders. "We want to call (for cooperation to build the statue) throughout the world with Twitter and Facebook." Members will also be selling beverages - colored Char red, naturally - at earthquake fundraising events to help fill the coffers.

If this sounds like a pie-in-the-sky dream scenario that could never happen to you, Mibu actually has some precedence here. The town is already home to built a life-sized version of Tetsujin 28-go (aka Gigantor) [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandai_Museum] back in 2009.

If the town of Mibu can in fact build its giant Zaku II, then clearly Japan will have to rebuild the life-sized Gundam. Then the two of them can fight and pave the way for humanity's ascension into space colonies and interplanetary warfare.

(AnimeNewsNetwork [http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/news/20110711-OYT1T00051.htm])

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
That's funny. I checked to see if the first post went through and it didn't. Now I have a double-post, meaning that the site's lagginess is really screwing things up.

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
Japan: increasing the world's total awesome supply by way of complete insanity.
I approve.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Well that's cool. I'm now going to e-mail my mayor and ask if we can build an 80 ft bronze statue frozen in carbonite.
The Great JT said:
Show of hands, who wants someone to build the friggin' MEGAS and enter it?
*raises hand*

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok not only did they build the lifesize scale of the iconic Gundam was already epic but by having it dueling with its arch nemesis Char Aznable MS-06 Zaku II is just beyond epic!!!

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
And they will build it three times faster than the life size Gundam.

Excited for this. Sieg Zeon!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Jabberwock xeno said:
Wait, they took the life sized gundam down?

For good?!

:(
It was damaged during the tsunami's which followed the Sendai Earthquake...or maybe it was the earthquake itself that damaged it...one or the other.

OT: It's too bad they aren't actually planning a giant-robot fight but collateral damages would likely be pricey as hell. I would love to donate but am not in a position to do so and I'd really like to buy a char-red beverages (what kind I wonder? Soda? Coffee? Aloe-Drink?)

Still; can't wait to hear more about this.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
...Damn it Japan can you stop doing awesome stuff like this? Making me jealous and all...

Sweden build you own damn giant robot now!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I want them to make the Zaku from the SD Gundam show.

They always reminded me of prinnies.

Second thought: Make the Prinny Gungam

EDIT:
The Great JT said:
Show of hands, who wants someone to build the friggin' MEGAS and enter it?
*raises hand*
As far as it would be away from where I live, Vegas would probably be the best place for it.