Japanese Women Eagerly Await Your Charms in Yakuza 4

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Japanese Women Eagerly Await Your Charms in Yakuza 4

Every man that participates in organized crime needs a strong woman behind him.

dudes kicking ass [http://www.amazon.com/Yakuza-4-Playstation-3/dp/B003QX4F7C]. The game's latest trailer reveals a significant part of the game that will see players breaking hearts, or falling in love.

Hostess clubs are a significant part of Yakuza 4. At these clubs, players will encounter many different girls and try to win them over to start a relationship. The trailer reveals at least six different girls, each with their own style.

Relationships in Yakuza 4 are simple. Meet a girl (or two) at a club. Have a nice conversation over a few drinks. Watch her dance on a stage in a skimpy outfit. Engage in a curious minigame where you have to build an attraction meter. Fall in love.

Afterward, the trailer explains that you can go about a healthy relationship, playing pool or table tennis while staring at your girlfriend's chest, or you can break her heart and take a slap to the face. However, for a man in the Yakuza, falling in love might be even more dangerous.

The inclusion of hostess clubs in the North American release of Yakuza 4 is significant because they were removed from the release of Yakuza 3. For Yakuza 4, the entire dating sim element has been retained.

Wait for me, Chihiro.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
wait wait... You meet them at a hostess club, seriously? Aren't those women paid to chat and flirt with the customers? Shouldn't they be extremely jaded?

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
...And from here and on the dating-sim games will be popularized in west. The start of a North American Japan.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
I've sat here saying what the fuck for 3 minutes now, I still don't have a suitable response.

So much about this is wrong, "buy her something. Diamonds, designer clothes, after all she's a woman."

Also, the camera lingering on breasts is fucking creepy.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Everybody need some lovin...Though i think it will get a lot flack becaus of this.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Nocta-Aeterna said:
wait wait... You meet them at a hostess club, seriously? Aren't those women paid to chat and flirt with the customers? Shouldn't they be extremely jaded?
What, why?
Why does being paid to make someone fell good make you jaded?
That makes no sense o_O
But OT: Only if it comes to PC

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Hiyori looks hawt.

But seriously... really? This seems like a bit of a clumsy attempt to bring in more players. "Sure, I hated GTA but I love those dating games/The Sims!"

Ah well, this game hasn't really excited me but we'll see what happens at release.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I had to put in my age for a video where only 4 seconds are even questionable.

What is this world coming to...at least 1st world, I realize the rest is pretty messed up.

Seriously, my boss could have watched this with me (I should know I just watched it at work).

Could we slap age restrictions on things that are actually questionable to any age? As opposed to only questionable to people who wouldn't want anyone playing games anyways.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Okay, unfortunately I have a lot to say about the inclusion of the Dating-Sim and why it is VERY important to have for some, not all, games. Considering that a good WRPG could have the mechanic to have a "relationship" with an NPC it is important for said NPC to be important not only to the Protagonist but to the player as well. But what we got so far in WRPG's is a simple mechanic of talk to love interest and give presents and BOOM she/he loves you now. Now compared to a Dating-sim there is a butt ton of stuff you gotta do, just like a real relationship. Talking and presents are nice, but there are also "dates" where you interact with the love interest and give her/him a good time while you are together, giving presents at an appropriate time is also implemented, did you remember what her favorite color/food/place is? etc. etc. For those that don't want a "dating-sim" that is fine, you don't have to build up a relationship, just a friendship with the NPC's. But for those that like what bioware does with player/NPC relationships it is important that it evolves beyond the talk and present mechanics. Does it HAVE to be like a japanese dating sim? No it doesn't, it could become closer to a "western" dating sim. Instead of a mall, maybe a bar. Instead of the park, take them to a sports event...depending on who your trying to whoo of course.
To me and from my own experience. ALL of the effort you put into the romantic interest and the steamy scene that follows afterwards is more satisfying because it was effort you put into it because you WANTED to, not just because it's an option...though that is a reason enough too for some.

In short, Dating-sim needed in some games to help certain genre's evolve beyond talk and presents mechanic.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
seydaman said:
Nocta-Aeterna said:
What, why?
Why does being paid to make someone fell good make you jaded?
That makes no sense o_O
But OT: Only if it comes to PC
They see many men a night, mostly inebriated salery men, with whom they have inane conversations for hours on end. Also, they go on dates with these clients outside business hours (for a fee, of course). I can only imagine how much that wears on one...

Also there's this little trick going on with the gender swapped version: the host clubs. Hostess club employees are encouraged to consume host club services, most of which are owned by people who also run hostess clubs.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
"After awhile, it got to be all normal. None of it seemed like crime. It was more like Henry was enterprising, and that he and the guys were making a few bucks hustling, while all the other guys were sitting on their asses, waiting for handouts. Our husbands weren't brain surgeons, they were blue-collar guys. The only way they could make extra money, real extra money, was to go out and cut a few corners."
-Karen, Goodfellas

Rarhnor said:
...And from here and on the dating-sim games will be popularized in west. The start of a North American Japan.
And a whole new thing for parents and politicians to start trying to make more laws against, anything involving dating or sex or just women in general makes those people in the US go nuts.

"My little Timmy can beat hookers he just screwed with a baseball bat to get his money back, but there's no way I'm going to allow him or anyone else to romance and sleep with digital women! It'll warp him!"

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Nocta-Aeterna said:
Those kinds of clubs are all the norm in Japan.

I wonder if you can make her like a henchman if the relationship meter (or whatever) gets high enough, maybe get her to do a few "errands"?

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
008Zulu said:
I wonder if you can make her like a henchman if the relationship meter (or whatever) gets high enough, maybe get her to do a few "errands"?
Hrmm... I think I see potential for a japanese Harley Quinn here.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Kalezian said:
Rarhnor said:

wasnt that the case as soon as we found the internet?

I mean, look at the number of dating sims on Newgrounds alone!
I meant officially.
I am well aware of Newgrounds, but even so dating-sims are still only big in Japan. As soon as this hits, there'll be a lot of guys who enjoys this game-mechanic, and will scout for more like them.
They'll stumple upon dedicated Japanese dating-sims, and followingly import their own copy. Some big shot will see a statistical rise in the import of these games and will take advantage this. He'll initiate the production of such one game.
Because of this, people will begin to buy this "western dating-sim" and BAM! a whole new market for puplishers and developers to make simple and succesful games based on romance and erotic spectacle.

Aaaaand so on...