Japan's Most Wanted Sequels

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Japan's Most Wanted Sequels

Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu asked its readers what sequels they'd like to see the most. The resulting top 50 list features some familiar and unfamiliar franchises, but is, most of all, very Japanese.

Some dreams, like Mother 3 getting localized or world peace, just aren't worth having. They're never going to happen. Other dreams, however, are worth compiling into a top 50 list for the rest of the world to gawk and wonder at. That's what Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu Weekly did recently - they asked their readers to vote on their most wanted sequels and then compiled the results into a top 50 list that most anyone outside Japan will probably find completely inexplicable.

Take the winner of the poll, for instance. Strategy-RPG/dating sim franchise Sakura Taisen, otherwise known as Sakura Wars, was the most requested sequel with 267 votes. I wouldn't be ashamed of not knowing about it unless you're a Sega fanboy or major otaku. Second on the list with 249 votes is lost Sega franchise Shenmue, followed by Capcom/Clover Studio's Okami with 204 votes. Rounding out the top five are GameCube title Gotcha Force (what?) and Square-Enix's JRPG epic Xenogears, which had a spiritual successor in the form of Xenosaga but never a direct sequel.

Other notables on the list include SRPG games Valkyria Chronicles and Ogre Battle, your expected requests for new Mother and Chrono games, and what I personally would have voted for (aside from Vagrant Story 2), Jet Set Radio. There are also plenty of WTF entries like the infamous Metal Wolf Chaos [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZVmtDuMxAA] and forgettable action-shooter Bullet Witch. Bullet Witch had a hot female lead character with a giant gun. I guess there's your explanation for that one.

The full list is on display here [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15710069&postcount=13]. How would you guys revise it?

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Man, I would kill for another sequel to Jet Set Radio, and that's not just fuss and bluster either. I must've played that game through like 4 times, a feat that has only recently been matched by Fallout 3. Now if only I hadn't lost my memory card for my old dusty Dreamcast I might have to go play it again. Well, At least I have my old copy of Worms to tide my retro-gaming needs.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Some of those games deserve sequels, like Jet Set Radio, that was unique. Mother and Xenogears too. If we are keeping in Japanese games then I would like a ZOE sequel.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
Grayjack72 said:
Ahh. Valkyria Chronicles and Skies of Arcadia made the list.
Those sequels NEED to be made, period. We already had vyse, aika and fina in VC, lets have them back proper.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
How Metal Wolf Chaos never spawned the most awesome franchise of games, comics, movies, and candy in world history is beyond me.

I mean, aside from no legal American release. Which, considering the content, is frustratingly inexplicable.

And as far as Okami is concerned, no sequel is necessary. Just an Xbox port. You know, for the 14 million Xbox owners in the world.

Just an idea.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
I wouldn't mind an actual sequel to Wasteland. That's probably my all-time favorite game.

Keane Ng said:
Some dreams, like Mother 3 getting localized or world peace, just aren't worth having. They're never going to happen.
Fan-made localizations don't count?

KamachoMcSagget

Mar 22, 2009
another Okami and Jet Set Radio game would be nice, I've always wanted to play a Mother game, and my friend's favorite game is Gotcha Force.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I want a sequel to "The Misadventures of Tron Bonne"....but that isn't likely to happen.

Servbots=Awesome

Sadly, that Okami sequel isn't likely due to poor sales and the fact that Clover Studios doesn't exist anymore...

Ilosia

The faceless
Mar 10, 2009
Goldeneye103X2 said:
Grayjack72 said:
Ahh. Valkyria Chronicles and Skies of Arcadia made the list.
Those sequels NEED to be made, period. We already had vyse, aika and fina in VC, lets have them back proper.
There was originally a sequel to Skies (or legends as it's original title translated into) but it fell through at some point for a reason that I don't know.

Be nice to see an Okami sequel too, they certainly left space for one.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Gotcha Force FUCK YEAH! Too bad this poll will probably amount to nothing at all. When I played Virtual On on the 360 I thought about how GF controlled better, when I played Custom Robo on the DS I thought about how GF was just more varied and less static.

Also yeah to Rockman Dash and FUCK YEAH to Chikyuu Boueigun (though they're working on Dynamic Slash currently).

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Holy crap, I didn't think Valkyria Chronicles would make that list! Makes me all fuzzy inside.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
What's this forklift racing game you pictured? It looks like silly fun times.
I believe it is called Shenmue. But I could be wrong.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
What's this forklift racing game you pictured? It looks like silly fun times.
It's a part of Shenmue's storyline. You work at a harbor and every morning before work they have a forklift race around the harbor.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
randommaster said:
Ogre Battle games really get overlooked for some reason.
The second I read that part I like, I dunno. That was one of my favorite N64 games (Ogre Battle 64) and one week I started buying old N64 games I always rented but never played (or ones I lost) but sadly never found Ogre Battle. I would LOVE a sequal though, long as it comes over here, and preferably on the 360, though id be tempted to get a Wii for it.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
OMG. I may be culturally retarded, but I don't recognize any of those games, not one. Well, aside from Shenmue, but only because it was on ZP a while back.

I really feel like I'm missing out on quite a lot of cool games here, I need to brush up on my otaku...