Jeff Hanneman died.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I is sad.

OT: South of Heaven. It got me through exams, break-ups, crisis, despair without causing myself or anyone else any harm. It allowed me to see the light, die a little, move on.

Shit still sucks. Life always comes with an end, and we all think Jeff went too soon. Well, maybe he would disagree. I don't know about the spider bite or any of the stories we got lately. Maybe it was all bullshit and he really, really didn't fancy hanging around much no more.

No Lager for me, Jeff. I'd rather drink all of Motörhead's Guiness, so they can kick me out again (while I steal the rest of their Guiness)... nah, not even Guiness. Just some California Pale Ale. Oh my. It will have to do.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Was never really a fan of Slayer, though I did enjoy moshing about to Rain in Blood on the soundtrack of Skate. Less than 40 years is far too early for anyone to be dying.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I've always been a bigger fan of metallica or megadeth but always respected slayer as one of the big 4 of thrash. And the weirdest thing the liver failure might not have been to overuse of alcohol or drugs but complications from a spider bite years ago. Not a way you'd expect a founding memeber of slayer to go.

Probably the song i've listened to the most by them is raining blood.

YuberNeclord

Jul 15, 2012
It sucks that he passed away, I'm a huge Slayer fan so it's definitely sad news for me. My favourite Slayer song(and album) would have to be South of Heaven.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I saw this last night when Slayer announced it and was very sad :( While Slayer weren't my favourite band, I still enjoyed their music a hell of a lot and the passing of a metal brother is never good. We've lost some pretty impressive musicians this year - Chi Cheng, Mortifer, Clive Burr, to name but a few - and now Jeff Hanneman. I suppose it means they'll have to get another new guy in now for their tour to replace both Dave Lombardo and Jeff.

On the other hand, I was reading the blog, That's Not Metal, and had to crack a smile when he said that Jeff's liver failure was probably due to his drinking and therefore it made his death from over-drinking simultaneously both very not-metal and also so very, very metal.

Favourite Slayer songs for me were Dead Skin Mask, Bloodlines and Season in the Abyss. Good shout on South of Heaven though OP.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
While I'm not the biggest Slayer fan (I still think Reign of Blood is overrated), I think it's impossible to deny what a towering influence they've been on Extreme Metal and it's sad to see he's gone.

Favourite song would either be Hell Awaits or Angel of Death.