Jennifer Hepler leaves Bioware due to threats by fans

gavinmcinns

Aug 23, 2013
I love how the media is twisting this story "HEPLER LEAVES BIOWARE BECAUSE OF DEATH THREATS EVEN THOUGH IT SAYS IN THE STORY UNDER THIS HEADLINE THAT SHE HASN'T BEEN GETTING DEATH THREATS"

It is entirely possible that someone over there finally got sick of her bad writing and let her "willfully" resign. Just like the doctors did.

gavinmcinns

Aug 23, 2013
Neverhoodian said:
Also, the guy comes across as a pretentious douchebag, one of those insufferable "wake up, sheeple" types.
Oh, so you already knew about the NSA spying programs, prism, the fact that exNSA officials have admitted that they have the technology to control the accelerator and brakes in your car and that it is in fact EASY to do in modern cars, the fact that Mike Hastings, the man who embarrassed the government a couple of years ago, died in a very suspicious car accident recently, and that now all of the headlines are basically reading "HASTINGS, JUNKIE, DIES IN WRECK" because they found a couple of micrograms worth of marijuana in his system? Totally ignoring the fact that the autopsy reports indicate in no unclear terms that intoxication was not a factor in the accident?

Or you just don't care?

Wake up sheeple, the news is lying to you and so is the government.

Lee Oswald didn't act alone either.

But we actually did go to the moon.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
gavinmcinns said:
I love how the media is twisting this story "HEPLER LEAVES BIOWARE BECAUSE OF DEATH THREATS EVEN THOUGH IT SAYS IN THE STORY UNDER THIS HEADLINE THAT SHE HASN'T BEEN GETTING DEATH THREATS"

It is entirely possible that someone over there finally got sick of her bad writing and let her "willfully" resign. Just like the doctors did.
While the headline is misleading, so is your post. She did get death threats, they just weren't the reason she left Bioware. The article as well as others specifically mentions this, she also received death threats over her twitter before she deleted her account.

She may have been pressured to resign, but considering Casey Hudson is still on after the much much larger Mass Effect 3 ending backlash, I'm much more inclined to believe she left to write her book as she claims.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Zachary Amaranth said:
People do a lot of things, and it's literally impossible to at face value tell whether someone's going to shoot up a school or is just talking bullshit on a message board.
I'd argue that it isn't always impossible and I'd also argue that the sheer number of "threats" per day made on the internet and the actual number of actions that take place which are linkable to them are in no way equivalent. Not even close. Not even in the same hemisphere.

Since it's impossible to tell, then Bioware's security, who went over the "threats" and discerned that they had an extremely, extremely low chance of actually being carried out, were incorrect and acted irresponsibly in their assessment.

Zachary Amaranth said:
And people routinely have the attitude that nothing bad can happen to them. It's the same for everything from internet threats to not wearing a seat belt to terrorism.

I'm glad you can rationalise doing nothing and showing no concern. But that's not different from Homer Simpson or any other demonstration of the average joe in popular culture.
I'm not one of those people. I wear my seat belt. I'm exceedingly aware of the potential for bad things to happen to me and those I care for at any given time.

In fact, that fear played a huge role in my not acquiring a driver's license until my 20's. I couldn't quite get over the two-ton metal weapon I'd be controlling, which had and has the very real potential to cause horrific amounts of damage.

I'm not rationalizing any more than I feel is necessary in the context. I also wasn't showing a total lack of concern. I did say that if the threats crossed the line from "Imma kill you and your kids, fuck you, you suck, rawr, etc." to "It'd be a shame if something were to happen to your kids on their way to X Elementary. You may want to watch them a bit more closely." then definite concern is warranted.

I just prefer rationalization to exaggeration.

Then again, I'm a big fan of law enforcement on a case by case basis, as inefficient and resource intensive as it is. So, take my comments for what you will, sir.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
Superior is not the term I'd chose to classify ME2. For all the good ME2 was BW could've just skipped it gave us ME3 and nothing would've changed save we don't get to romance team dextro which that, Overlord, and Arrival was the only reasons I could say why I keep ME2 in my collection because it isn't even worth the disk its printed on no plot consistency with ME other then we have the old crew and contacts in it and somehow us detouring to get a crazy con whose job was already covered by 4 people, a thief who does nothing, and railroading to work for our enemy oh and chasing useless mooks into the heart of deep space does nothing to aid us in intel that stops the reapers in anyway instead all the issues for defeating them and containing them is brought up in ME3 when all that should've been brought up in 2 along with gaining ancient weapons to use in ME3 so we didn't need the contrived dues ex catalyst.

To me the series goes like this ME is the road that the mako is driving on, ME2 is the ditch my mako fell into and suffered several popped tires, ME3 is the attempt to have the mako get out of said ditch but due to the ending makes the mako's battery die.