Jeri Ryan & More Confirmed For Mortal Kombat Series

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Jeri Ryan & More Confirmed For Mortal Kombat Series

Michael Jai White and some dude who was in 300 are going to be in the series, too, but there's no word on who will play Scorpion.

So, remember <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101195-Mystery-Mortal-Kombat-Trailer-Will-Blow-You-Away>that crazy Mortal Kombat short film/trailer that popped up on the Web this summer? The one that resulted in Warner Bros. greenlighting a live-action digital series? Well, hot on the heels of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107604-Jeri-Ryan-To-Play-Sonya-Blade-in-Mortal-Kombat-Rebirth-Web-Series>Jeri Ryan announcing her part in the project, Warner Bros. has confirmed her presence in the series, as well as a couple of other actors.

Michael Jai White will also reprise his role from Mortal Kombat: Rebirth as Jax, and the "sly and cunning" Kano will be portrayed by Darren Shahlavi, a relatively unknown actor. Looking at Shahlavi IMDB résumé, though, reveals that he's been involved with some pretty major action movies (like 300 and Watchmen), albeit with fairly small roles. The characters of Scorpion and Sub-Zero have also been confirmed, but the actors playing them haven't been announced yet.

The new Mortal Kombat digital series is currently filming in Vancouver and will supposedly feature nine short episodes (though more will probably follow if the series proves to be a hit). According to Warner Bros., the series will go online in the spring, coinciding with <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E1JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297719047&sr=8-1>the April 19 launch of the new Mortal Kombat game.

Source: Joystiq

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Look, it'll be terrible, and I'm just going to state that to try and stop people getting up in arms about the inevitable casting complaints that will arise along the way, and the director complaints, and the continuity changes, and everything else people will complain about.

impcnrd

Nov 28, 2009
i have to say i'm excited for this...
sure its nothing like the original games, but remember the last time they tried to make a movie based on that?
plus its a re-imagining that looks more relevant to the real world and real world issues.
it looks like there is a much deeper meaning to it

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I'm slightly confused. They're making a webseries? I thought we were going to get a feature film out of this.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
The villains look creepy enough to be crazy murderers, wonder if they will have Goro?

Hopefully Ermac (My favourite character) will have some part to play.

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
Oh yeah I'm totally digging this. Hope it turns out to be good, my fanboy sense is tingling already.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Looks like an interesting semi-real world take on it, I look forward to the rest.

Kinguendo said:
The villains look creepy enough to be crazy murderers, wonder if they will have Goro?

Hopefully Ermac (My favorite character) will have some part to play.
Could make him Schizophrenic or something? He's the one with multiple souls in the one body? "We are Ermac." right? Shang Tsungs warrior experiment?

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Kano's actor was in 300? Sounds just right for him :D
We need some turbo badass actor to play Scorpion. This looks epic.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Wahful said:
Heres hoping for Cyrax and Raiden! Though i can't see either happening?
Cyrax, probably not, but Raiden is popular enough that they'll find a way to get him in there without sacrificing the idea.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Dfskelleton said:
Wahful said:
Cyrax, probably not, but Raiden is popular enough that they'll find a way to get him in there without sacrificing the idea.
Hopefully Raiden is one of the Core characters to the series, Cyrax is just a personal favourite.

I also hope Scorpion doesn't wear Plimsols this time.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Wahful said:
Dfskelleton said:
Wahful said:
Hopefully Raiden is one of the Core characters to the series, Cyrax is just a personal favourite.

Well, Raiden has always been a core character, and leaving him out would compromise the idea of "Sticking to the general overall plot, but putting it in the real world".
And yes, I agree that Cyrax is awesome, but if the show is trying to be generally gritty and realistic, as awesome as he is, a big, bright yellow robot who can blow up the entire planet and shove people into a meat grinder in his chest probably wouldn't fit in with everything else.
Also, I doubt Scorpion will wear that the whole time, as that would be really annoying. Maybe something similar to his original incarnation but not completely out of place in the real world.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Dfskelleton said:
Wahful said:
Dfskelleton said:
Wahful said:

Well, Raiden has always been a core character, and leaving him out would compromise the idea of "Sticking to the general overall plot, but putting it in the real world".
And yes, I agree that Cyrax is awesome, but if the show is trying to be generally gritty and realistic, as awesome as he is, a big, bright yellow robot who can blow up the entire planet and shove people into a meat grinder in his chest probably wouldn't fit in with everything else.
quote]

True dat, we don't want the plastic Cyrax from the 2nd movie again, lol.