Jesse Eisenberg: Batman v Superman Lex Luthor is "Complicated, Challenging"

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Jesse Eisenberg: Batman v Superman Lex Luthor is "Complicated, Challenging"

Actor Jesse Eisenberg who will play Lex Luthor in Batman v Superman reveals he has some input in the villain's big-screen adaptation.

Earlier this year, Warner Bros. raised more than a few eyebrows when it "street tough," self-made billionaire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131876-Jesse-Eisenberg-Cast-as-Lex-Luthor-Jeremy-Irons-as-Alfred-in-Man-of-Steel-Sequel] that started out as a leader of his own gang. Now, in an interview with TotalFilm, Eisenberg states that while there are guidelines on how the character should behave based on the film's script, an actor must also make the character his/her own.

There are some indications of how the character should behave based on the script, and then an actor makes it his or her own... got to know one of the writers Chris Terrio, and we were able to discuss things at length and figure out who this person is to create a real psychology behind what is, perhaps, in a comic book, a less than totally modern psychology. I can only say I've been asked to play an interesting role. A complicated, challenging person.

In other defended the character against insults from a radio station's DJs. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/batman%20v%20superman]

Are you warming up to the idea of Lex Luthor? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/jesse%20eisenberg] Or should Warner re-cast the role while they still can?

Source: TotalFilm [http://www.totalfilm.com/news/jesse-eisenberg-talks-lex-luthor-1]

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I don't necessarily think the guy's a bad actor or that he won't do well playing Lex. But a fucking huge part of movies is visual and I just don't think he looks right to play Lex.

And I really think he's going to look silly bald, and we can't have a not bald Lex, because it's huge part of who Lex is. It would be like not having the S on Superman chest.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
We all laughed at Heath Ledger when he was announced to play The Joker

Their were a few eyebrows raised at Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/The Hulk

Andrew Garfield as Spiderman is much better than people previously thought, Hell even Toby Maguire was an eye raiser and most prefer him over Garfield.

Basically what i'm saying is Jesse shouldn't be written off as Lex. If he is shit at the role, then fine smite him where he stands, but at this point in time, we can't say if he will be bad or good.

I think it could work, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
What's there to get about Luthor? He's a powerful, self-made man who got to where he is by hard work and his own intelligence and wits, only for someone who can do everything he can and more come along with his only claim to his power being good breeding (and being an alien who absorbs yellow sun radiation and empowers him with abilities far beyond the ken of mortal man, but I digress). The whole reason he wants to get rid of Superman is to prove that humanity should strive to be like him, that with enough hard work and intelligence they can reach the lofty heights of greatness. It's the movie Amadaeus in blue tights. Luthor being the hard-working, determined and underappreciated Salieri, Superman the naturally gifted and naturally brilliant Mozart.

You may notice that I used the movie Mozart to represent the Luthor/Superman dynamic. Well, in real life things were wildly different and realistically. Mozart worked hard at what he did, Salieri was highly respected and many of his works are still performed today, it was more likened to them being business rivals than enemies. Sure they clashed on a few things, they were two people trying to get the same commission. It'd be like two car salespersons trying to push each out of the way in order to get a sale.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
The Great JT said:
You may notice that I used the movie Mozart to represent the Luthor/Superman dynamic. Well, in real life things were wildly different and realistically. Mozart worked hard at what he did, Salieri was highly respected and many of his works are still performed today, it was more likened to them being business rivals than enemies. Sure they clashed on a few things, they were two people trying to get the same commission. It'd be like two car salespersons trying to push each out of the way in order to get a sale.
I believe I've heard that they also collaborated a few times and were actually friends, but don't quote me on that.

OT: I'm trying really hard to imagine Jesse Eisenberg without hair, but I just can't. My brain simply rejects the very concept.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Well, he's still the only thing I'm looking forward to in this movie. And after months of disappointment and frustration at the characters and their costumes, it's nice that Luthor is getting news.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
So he's going to have 5 minute long speeches about the human soul and dialogue so pointlessly flowery and long winded that it would make the architect from the matrix reloaded say "God, hurry up, dude!"? Good to know.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Storm Dragon said:
OT: I'm trying really hard to imagine Jesse Eisenberg without hair, but I just can't. My brain simply rejects the very concept.

OT: It sounds fairly in line for lex with some slightly more modern stuff added on to it.

Like the entire series, could be great could be godawful at this point.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I like him as an actor. I don't think he'll do a bad job at all, despite the lame self made billionaire motif they are using (coming from money and being the best of best only feeling inferior to Superman is part of Lex's Psychosis and xenophobia towards Superman). BUT I do think that him being so young compared what they are doing with Bruce Wayne, who is always represented as younger than him in the comics, is a mistake. Just one man's opinion. I have to say... I didn't mind Man of Steel as a coming of age story for Superman, i thought it was done reasonably well (despite Zack Snyder, I hate that guys work at this point). But I am not getting much in the way of good feelings about this one. The writing is all fucked up to me. Forget the fact that they have admitted to it loosely being based off of Frank Miller's work (a good enough story, but more a testament to Batman's badassery than particularly good writing).

Edit: I do question his head shape. Not everyone has a good head when it's shaved. He is just a skinny little guy, after all. Most of the time naturally slight people have overly bony features and don't look particularly good with a shaved head, he certianly won't look like a Lex Luthor.

As someone else said about this movie though, he is a good acting choice and probably one of the more interesting acting picks for the film.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I wouldn't have guessed Michael Rosenbaum would be a decent Lex either, but he was the only part of Smallville worth watching. So I'm inclined to wait until I see the film to start throwing down insults at Eisenberg. He's been good in almost everything I've seen him in (30 Minutes Or Less notwithstanding)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I wouldn't have guessed Michael Rosenbaum would be a decent Lex either, but he was the only part of Smallville worth watching. So I'm inclined to wait until I see the film to start throwing down insults at Eisenberg. He's been good in almost everything I've seen him in (30 Minutes Or Less notwithstanding)
He was solid as an actor and played a fascinating Lex and well made Lex Luthor. He is a good actor who made some bad acting choices, which is a shame because I think he could have been great.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
arc1991 said:
We all laughed at Heath Ledger when he was announced to play The Joker
They shouldn't have. Ledger had a decent enough range that nobody should have thought he'd be bad. You can call this hindsight, but I said the same thing at the time (except not in past tense). A lot of the flak he caught as simply because the "gay cowboy" guy was going to be Joker.

Andrew Garfield as Spiderman is much better than people previously thought, Hell even Toby Maguire was an eye raiser and most prefer him over Garfield.
Most of the hat for Garfield is still out there. I personally think it's undeserved, but these are bad examples.

I can't talk to Ruffalo. He really wasn't on my radar at the time, but the other guys? Definitely bad examples.

I agree that he shouldn't be written off, but these lists of actors are usually horrible. In reality, it's at best a mixed bag and I think there's a stronger argument for the doubters than for hope. For every Heath Ledger or even Andrew Garfield we have the cast of Daredevil. Pretty much the whole cast. Oh, there were several decent actors, but pretty much nobody fit (I liked Affleck then, and I like Affleck now, but he wasn't playing Matt Murdoch and I have trouble seeing him play Batman).

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
He looks to young for Lex. I dont think he has the gravitas to pull off the role. But then who knows, he could surprise us all.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Dark Knifer said:
Storm Dragon said:

OT: It sounds fairly in line for lex with some slightly more modern stuff added on to it.

Like the entire series, could be great could be godawful at this point.
*squints at picture* It could work.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, we know he has experience playing evil CEOs... ;)

I don't know. He hardly seems like the straw to break the camel's back; he could be great. The whole project seems plagued with uncertainties and identity issues, though. I hope they pull it off, but it's difficult at this point to even rise as high as "guarded optimism".

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
inu-kun said:
No, it will suck, they want to make Lex Luthor "hip" and "cool" and "social media", rather than making him a scientist with a superiority complex he's gonna be a Marc Zucherberg expy who wants that everybody know who is Superman's secret identity.
IMO this is the problem most people have with this casting.

It's not about how well he can portray Lex Luthor, it's about what Lex Luthor he'll get to portray.

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012
Naqel said:
inu-kun said:
No, it will suck, they want to make Lex Luthor "hip" and "cool" and "social media", rather than making him a scientist with a superiority complex he's gonna be a Marc Zucherberg expy who wants that everybody know who is Superman's secret identity.
IMO this is the problem most people have with this casting.

It's not about how well he can portray Lex Luthor, it's about what Lex Luthor he'll get to portray.
I think I'd be up for a more Zuckerberg-esque take on Luthor, but then again I'm not really a DC person.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Wonderman = Marvel villain who becomes a hero.

Wonder Woman = is the third hero in the upcoming Superman Vs. Batman movie and the person I assume you meant to put in the article.

OT: Still on the fence. I have nothing against Jesse Eisenberg playing the part. I just don't know much about his acting chops since I haven't really seen much of his work. He still not who I would have preferred to play the part. But since Warner seems hellbent on not making the movie I would like to see be the end result of this, I'm tired of complaining and will just wait to see whatever result comes(train wreck or work of art).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Angelous Wang said:
And I really think he's going to look silly bald, and we can't have a not bald Lex, because it's huge part of who Lex is. It would be like not having the S on Superman chest.
I disagree. Gene Hackman is the best Luthor so far, and remains the most hirsute iteration of the charater.

I do dislike the casting though. Not because he wouldn't look like the part by shaving his head or wearing a bald cap. I just think it's a miscast. I've never heard him speak a line without mumbling it, or convinced me he could play anybody other than his type. The "Heath Ledge argument" doesn't cut it for me. Ledger had proven his acting range with Monster's Ball and Brokeback Mountain well before being cast as Joker.