Jesse Eisenberg Cast as Lex Luthor, Jeremy Irons as Alfred in Man of Steel Sequel

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Jesse Eisenberg Cast as Lex Luthor, Jeremy Irons as Alfred in Man of Steel Sequel

Let the "Mark Zuckerberg is Lex Luthor" jokes begin in earnest.

More casting news from Warner Brothers for its upcoming Batman/Superman crossover film, this time for supporting characters Lex Luthor and Alfred Pennyworth. Playing the role of evil genius Luthor in the Man of Steel sequel is none other than Jesse Eisenberg, perhaps most famous for his performance as Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg in the 2010 film The Social Network. And yes, this is the part where you can make the jokes about him already knowing how to play a world-conquering supervillain.

"What's great about Lex is that he exists beyond the confines of the stereotypical nefarious villain. He's a complicated and sophisticated character whose intellect, wealth and prominence position him as one of the few mortals able to challenge the incredible might of Superman," said movie director Zack Snyder in a Warner Bros. Pictures press release. "Having Jesse in the role allows us to explore that interesting dynamic, and also take the character in some new and unexpected directions."

Playing Batman's loyal butler and ally will be veteran actor Jeremy Irons, recently seen in the Showtime series The Borgias. "He (Alfred) is an absolutely critical element in the intricate infrastructure that allows Bruce Wayne to transform himself into Batman," Snyder said. "It is an honor to have such an amazingly seasoned and gifted actor as Jeremy taking on the important role of the man who mentors and guides the guarded and nearly impervious façade that encapsulates Bruce Wayne."

The still untitled Batman/Superman film already stirred up plenty of casting debate a few months back when it announced that Ben Affleck would play the role of Batman. More recently, it was confirmed that actress Gal Gadot would portray Wonder Woman in the movie, which was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131452-DCs-Batman-vs-Superman-Delayed-Until-2016?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news>recently delayed until 2016.

What are your thoughts on this casting news? Is it a pair of bold choices, or evidence that DC's next film will be a dud?

Source: <a href=http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140131005753/en#.Uuvk2BBdUmg>BusinessWire

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Whaaaat? Ben Affleck as Batman I can get behind, but this? Since Jesse Eisenberg plays the exact same character in every goddamn movie he's in (I personally believe he's an awful actor), it's hard to see Lex Luthor portrayed by him. But who knows? Maybe he'll own the role like Heath Ledger did with the Joker.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Doesn't seem like bad choice to me, I just have a very hard time imagining Eisenberg been bald, on the other hand. =p

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Jesse Eisenberg is a fantastic actor but I don't know how he will do as a villain.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Wait, seriously? Why? Jesse Eisenberg... I don't see it. Then again, I would have said the same thing about Michael Rosenbaum before seeing Smallville.

Given that there is at least a precedent (as far as I am concerned anyway) that awkward-seeming casting can turn out well sometimes, I'll not take this news too badly just yet... But Luthor is one of my favorite villains from the DC universe, so I hope this movie's iteration of him is good.

Jeremy Irons as Alfred sounds brilliant.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Yes, Irons should get more attention.

He's a homophobic halfwit:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/jeremy-irons-on-gay-marri_n_3009495.html

Seriously, watch the video.

That really is a man we should have in the media.
I cannot believe that after saying those things people are still considering hiring him.
Unbelievable.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Jeremy Irons as Alfred is the only piece of casting I've simply nodded to so far from DC's upcoming cinematic shoggoth.

Don't get me wrong, I want to keep an open mind but I'm not confident yet.

JenSeven said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/jeremy-irons-on-gay-marri_n_3009495.html

I cannot believe that after saying those things people are still considering hiring him.
Unbelievable.
Haha! That view is so bizarre and shoe horned it comes off more hilarious than offensive, or at least less so than some other figures in the media. Does that let him off? Not really, but I can't be bothered to get mad at the awkward ramblings of an elderly man with no real influence.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
JenSeven said:

Unbelievable.
Just from the video, I couldn't tell if he was homophobic or not. He said a lot of really stupid things and he mixed himself up a lot, but he didn't seem to be overtly homophobic. Just ignorant and uneducated.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
I can't wait to not see this movie. The casting director should be fired. I like each person listed here individually, but they just aren't meant for the roles they are being cast in. I can't picture it. And won't. Burn in hell, this movie. Burn eternally.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I love the Jesse Eisenberg decision, it means that they can't go straight for the lazy villain stereotypes. Hopefully this means they're actually going to try and tap into that some of that rivalry and sense of frustration that all their achievements are still less than those of a person who was just born powerful.

It could also mean a somewhat new interpretation of Lex which would be cool too. I don't know if Eisenberg can do swagger (but he's a great character, so don't count it out) but if he can't there's still a lot of places they can go from there.

I guess Jeremy Irons is okay, I'm going to miss Caine but at least this means they're not going to sully the continuity of the Nolan trilogy and it gives them more freedom to match tones between Superman and Batman. (I actually think there wouldn't be much rivalry between Superman and Nolanverse Christian Bale styled Batman. I actually think Batman would recognise that Superman can do a better and cleaner job than he could and would either be content working with him, or take the opportunity to retire. Which wouldn't be much fun)

Nokturos

Nov 17, 2009
Whoa. That's probably the worst person they could have gotten for the role. Eisenberg is about as intimidating as a clawless kitten, and just imagine how ridiculous he would look bald.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
So, I get this Lex Luthor will be Steve Jobs back in the beginning of Apple's rise to fame. Not that far apart from Zuckerberg, but way more douchebag, and less socially akward.

That is actually interesting for Lex Luthor. It WOULD work better if we had Lionel there with him.

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
Snyder said:
"He (Alfred) is an absolutely critical element in the intricate infrastructure that allows Bruce Wayne to transform himself into Batman,"
Christ-on-a-bike, is he also going to try cramming a Batman Origin-Story into this bloated flick? Why would anyone think that Batman needs another origin story? He's BATMAN!

Gary Thompson

Aug 29, 2011
JenSeven said:

Unbelievable.
Because a 70 year old guy doesn't support the liberal views on something irrelevant to what he does he should be banished from society?

Man, it was kinder when we just killed people who disagreed with us.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Jupiter065 said:
Snyder said:
"He (Alfred) is an absolutely critical element in the intricate infrastructure that allows Bruce Wayne to transform himself into Batman,"
Christ-on-a-bike, is he also going to try cramming a Batman Origin-Story into this bloated flick? Why would anyone think that Batman needs another origin story? He's BATMAN!
He is just talking about how Alfred is an important character to the Batman mythos, and Batman as a characther himself. Chill.

Severian

Jun 13, 2013
Eisenberg played an amazing ahole in the social network. Someone photoshop him bald. Could pull it off. Jeremy Irons is ok I guess.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
A man known mostly for playing meek and social awkward characters playing a determined, devious, and commanding businessman? What could possibly for wrong?

Fuck, to think I was actually looking forward to this. I could handle Afflack as Batman, I could have handled skinny beauty model Wonder Woman, but this? C'mon DC, get your shit together.