Jigsaw - I Saw Saw. Should You See Saw?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Jigsaw - I Saw Saw. Should You See Saw?

I would like to play a more enjoyable game.

Read Full Article

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
How the hell does Jigsaw go as far as predicting where each person will be standing is beyond me.

Also given what we find out about the events of the movie, doesn't it make sense for the traps to be "stripped-down"?

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
My flatmate and I enjoyed it. No Saw film will ever be as good as the first one but Jigsaw would certainly be one of the better films in the franchise

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I stopped caring about the Saw films after the fifth one, and somehow I'm really not all that shocked that this one is pretty mediocre, if not outright bad, for a Saw movie.

Jigsaw is a really fascinating villain, and they kinda ruined him for me.

Might watch it one day, but, eh.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
How the hell does Jigsaw go as far as predicting where each person will be standing is beyond me.
I was more confused over why the hell the people in this one ever left the 2nd room. Once the chains drop and acid girl is dead, there is nothing at all threatening anyone, yet they immediately take the clue to unlock the combination and proceed to the next round of being murdered.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Jadak said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I was more confused over why the hell the people in this one ever left the 2nd room. Once the chains drop and acid girl is dead, there is nothing at all threatening anyone, yet they immediately take the clue to unlock the combination and proceed to the next round of being murdered.
I guess there was no obvious way out but forward.
I'm seeing a lot of people calling this a soft reboot but I'm not sure why. Nothing in the movie erases or contradicts anything in the previous movies, I think (honestly I stopped watching around the third one so not sure); it doesn't add or build significantly in any new direction. You could probably fit in this movie at any point in the series chronology and it wouldn't matter.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Holy fuck, I thought this would be like a meta commentary on the series at the very least. But nope. Just another cash cow.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
I guess there was no obvious way out but forward.
Problem is that that they took no time to come to that conclusion, and it's just a barn. I mean sure, if they'd looked around, tried to break some walls (it is just a barn), and eventually gave up, that'd be fine. Or just paused to consider if sitting around for an hour might be preferable to exploring the next death trap. But nope, on they go without hesitation.

Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm seeing a lot of people calling this a soft reboot but I'm not sure why. Nothing in the movie erases or contradicts anything in the previous movies, I think (honestly I stopped watching around the third one so not sure); it doesn't add or build significantly in any new direction. You could probably fit in this movie at any point in the series chronology and it wouldn't matter.
Certainly not a reboot as far as lore is concerned (I also don't think I've seen much beyond 3), but I could see where they're coming from in terms of future plot progression. It doesn't erase anything, but by retconning a current character into the history of the franchise to establish the foundation for a new villain for new movies, they've basically struck a compromise between doing a reboot and not abandoning their existing lore.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I wonder, was the title of the article inspired by one Mr. DinnerWarrior?

I think we can all agree that the movie would have been better with Gaston.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Eliminate enough variables and you can predict the outcome. He targeted complete morons.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Marter said:
We'll forgive bad acting or writing if we get to see someone go through a creative torture device. I don't know what that says about us as an audience, but that's how it goes.
Really it's been the same since the good ol' Colosseum: people have always enjoyed watching gruesome deaths.

When you think about it, the Saw series and the Final Destination series are incredibly similar in that people don't go to see either for stellar acting or a fascinating, gripping plot...they go to see them because they want to see how many fucked up/creative ways people will die.

If this movie can't even provide that - the most basic, fundamental draw for the movie - then it fails at its core premise.

Jonbodhi

Sep 27, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Marter said:
We'll forgive bad acting or writing if we get to see someone go through a creative torture device. I don't know what that says about us as an audience, but that's how it goes.
Really it's been the same since the good ol' Colosseum: people have always enjoyed watching gruesome deaths.
Plus a side helping of karma, since these victims, to greater or lesser degrees, have it coming, so you can feel (slightly) less guilty.

I got roped into seeing it with friends when Blade Runner 2049 was sold out (I thought it was a flop?). I went in grudgingly, with my arms mentally crossed, determined to brood through the whole thing, maybe take a nap. And...

I enjoyed it! Not great art, but who'd be fool enough to expect THAT in a 'Saw' movie? I haven't seen one since the first, which, oddly enough, I also liked more than I thought I would. As the reviewer said, I wasn't bored! It had a nasty energy to it that carried it along; it never slowed down!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Jonbodhi said:
RJ 17 said:
Marter said:
Plus a side helping of karma, since these victims, to greater or lesser degrees, have it coming, so you can feel (slightly) less guilty.

I got roped into seeing it with friends when Blade Runner 2049 was sold out (I thought it was a flop?). I went in grudgingly, with my arms mentally crossed, determined to brood through the whole thing, maybe take a nap. And...

I enjoyed it! Not great art, but who'd be fool enough to expect THAT in a 'Saw' movie? I haven't seen one since the first, which, oddly enough, I also liked more than I thought I would. As the reviewer said, I wasn't bored! It had a nasty energy to it that carried it along; it never slowed down!
My point exactly. And this is not meant as an insult, Jonbodhi. The entire point of this movie is to show people getting brutally murdered in creative ways.

Clearly the reviewer thought such methods of vivisection were lackluster in comparison with previous entries, but if you enjoyed it for the death sequences then seriously: good for you, that's what the movie is after and it succeeded for you. I'm honestly glad you enjoyed it.