Jim Sterling gives Mario Odyssey 7/10

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008

I mean not really, he doesn't do reviews anymore. But the fact that some people are losing their shit over a faked picture means people need to learn to not trust everything they see on the internet.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Jim Fucking Sterling Son said it's not real

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/923855161298169861

I only did a quick glance so it's possible I missed it but I don't see the review on metacritic either.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
The most disturbing thing about this -- besides the fact that someone created a fake screenshot to get Nintendo fans to mob Sterling, of course -- is that a 7/10 is somehow seen as an egregious grade in this industry, which is really fucking sad. You can't even give games something below an 8 without mobs of angry "fans" losing their shit.

Also, it's funny: I know the review excerpt is fake, but I'm reminded of how many ACTUAL reviews I've read over the years that are, content-wise, largely negative in nature and suggest the game is average at best, only to have a 7 or even an 8 numerical score attached to it. It's entirely incongruous; the scores often don't seem to match the reviewers' actual feelings about the game. And seeing the reaction from Nintendo "fans" over this BS, I can see why some folks would be reluctant to score games lower. I doubt that was the intent of whoever created this fake review, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Exley97 said:
The most disturbing thing about this -- besides the fact that someone created a fake screenshot to get Nintendo fans to mob Sterling, of course -- is that a 7/10 is somehow seen as an egregious grade in this industry, which is really fucking sad. You can't even give games something below an 8 without mobs of angry "fans" losing their shit.

Also, it's funny: I know the review excerpt is fake, but I'm reminded of how many ACTUAL reviews I've read over the years that are, content-wise, largely negative in nature and suggest the game is average at best, only to have a 7 or even an 8 numerical score attached to it. It's entirely incongruous; the scores often don't seem to match the reviewers' actual feelings about the game. And seeing the reaction from Nintendo "fans" over this BS, I can see why some folks would be reluctant to score games lower. I doubt that was the intent of whoever created this fake review, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.
I know Game Informer gives scores based on how well they think it will sell. See their review for Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Oh boy. There's a certain contingent of Nintendo fans who's outrage is incredibly reliable.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ah, you see, if those words were really his, it wouldn't have been anywhere near a 7. Which would've been still mostly positive. The bait is weak sauces! Inferior illusion!!

Exley97 said:
There is a problem with some editors in certain outlets changing the author's score before publishing it, to align more with 'the standard' basically. There were a couple (or maybe just one) Jimquisitions mentioning it, but you probably are already aware of this as I think I may have seen your avatar around such places.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Even if the review was real, people are still getting their panties in a twist for a 7 out of 10.

A 7 out of 10 is still a good score, literally.

It is weird to me that people these days equate a 7 to be average at best, and garbage at worst.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Guess this is some joker preying on those raw nerves exposed after Jim's Breath of the Wild review.

EscapistAccount

Aug 18, 2017
Exley97 said:
Yeah, funnily enough if Jim actually did review this then a 7/10 on his scale means pretty solidly good but not great, it's a good solid score for a game.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
I love how people complain that reviewers are bought out, and then we have a reviewer actually give their honest opinions and an honest score, he's just trying to be subversive or trolling.

Then, add on top of this, he didn't even review the game, and this is all a fabrication. Seriously, anyone who ever believed that people had issues with game reviewers being corrupt are just naive. People just want their preconceived notions on games reaffirmed. All these things have ever been.

Hell, I remember the 7.8, too much water controversy thing, and I thought that was bullshit. Sapphire was my favorite pokemon game, and I love AS just as much, but the review itself was actually fair if people read it. People just read scores and react only to that. It's just pathetic that we expect to then be taken seriously.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Gotta love this. Never mind that this is fake and they're throwing tantrums over a review that was never made. Even if this was legit it is one less than stellar review in, what I presume, is a sea of positive reviews. So instead of focusing on the 99/100 people that do love the game as much as they do, they focus on the 1 other person that doesn't. It's ridiculous.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
As a person who still likes Nintendo to this day, this review is an insult. If you truly wanted to do a troll review, you have to do a decimal score. So in this case, you give it a 6.9, would screw with the fans again. Though really, the game should've been docked another point since it wasn't released for the WiiU as well.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
Exley97 said:
There is a problem with some editors in certain outlets changing the author's score before publishing it, to align more with 'the standard' basically. There were a couple (or maybe just one) Jimquisitions mentioning it, but you probably are already aware of this as I think I may have seen your avatar around such places.
This avatar does indeed get around.

Yes, Sterling tackled the recent Brash Games blow up a couple times. I'm not sure if he's covered score inflation/manipulation in his earlier stuff, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's something I've heard a lot about in the industry though I never experienced (or demanded) while working in the games press.

EscapistAccount said:
Exley97 said:
Yeah, funnily enough if Jim actually did review this then a 7/10 on his scale means pretty solidly good but not great, it's a good solid score for a game.
I know I've gone on about this before in these forums, but...there's a reason why Metacritic's Metascore has one numerical scale for games and a different scale for everything else (movies, TV, music). Like, literally. Basic math is tossed aside for games Metascores: http://www.metacritic.com/about-metascores

I'm not sure if the skewed system is a result of fan backlash against low scores or publisher/developer influence and pressure (maybe both) but it's not skewed by accident.

In any event, the folks lwho regularly lose their shit about Sterling are celebrating his exit from scored games reviews as a massive victory. So what does that tell you about the state of gaming criticism and gaming culture as a whole?