Jim Sterling in court.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Im Lang said:
Ryotknife said:
Im Lang said:
Are you sure that you're not just comparing the relative quality of their lawyers?
(shrugs)

The quality of your lawyer should not determine how much money you get from a lawsuit. It should be dependent on the damages.
It shouldn't determine whether you get to go back to golfing after murdering your wife and her boyfriend, or if you die in prison. It does though, all of the time, and it's not really much a of a debatable point is it? So again, are you working with the kind of sample size that supports what you're saying, or just pointing to examples that correlate with your assumptions for (maybe) other reasons?
1. what assumptions are those?

2. are you asking me to do a research project analyzing thousands if not tens of thousands of court cases? Because that sounds suspiciously like a job (not a very exciting one either, ill stick with dams), and a non paying one at that. I shouldnt need to dedicate a significant chunk of my life to back up a forum post on a gaming forum.

Out of curiosity, are you a lawyer? Because you have a tendency to ask for a burden of proof equivalent to a court of law for forum posts.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The logic behind this is that if you say someone that maligns someone retracting the statement doesn't always matter because the audience for your retraction might not be equal to the initial one, and by that time a lot of damage can already be done. Basically Digital Homicide is going to be claiming that while he corrected himself Jim Sterling did substantial amounts of damage to their business through the initial claim, and the later retraction doesn't matter because at that point the damage had already been done.

That isn't to say Digital Homicide is going to win, I personally don't think they have a chance, but I can see why they might be able to get the case taken to court. Any way it goes your doubtlessly going to be looking at a fairly petty claim, nothing involved in this is valued at hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars.

I suspect DH will likely back down in their plans before this actually goes to court and wastes anyone's time. They need to find someone to represent them, and I'd imagine most lawyers are going to tell them flat out they don't have a case they can win, and even if they do win, nothing they can really recoup. I mean Jim doesn't seem to have the kinds of assets to pay a large legal settlement even if they succeeded, I mean you can't get blood from a rock. Digital Homicide doesn't have much money either, so at the end of the day the Lawyer who wants to get paid is going to look at this and laugh because he won't collect fees for his time and trouble from his client, and he's not going to work for a share of an eventual settlement when the person going to court doesn't have any assets to pay that settlement. I suppose if DH has a lawyer willing to work the case pro-bono it might help there, but even so I can't see it.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Therumancer said:
That isn't to say Digital Homicide is going to win, I personally don't think they have a chance, but I can see why they might be able to get the case taken to court. Any way it goes your doubtlessly going to be looking at a fairly petty claim, nothing involved in this is valued at hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars.

I suspect DH will likely back down in their plans before this actually goes to court and wastes anyone's time. They need to find someone to represent them, and I'd imagine most lawyers are going to tell them flat out they don't have a case they can win, and even if they do win, nothing they can really recoup. I mean Jim doesn't seem to have the kinds of assets to pay a large legal settlement even if they succeeded, I mean you can't get blood from a rock.
To be fair, Jim does make about $117,000 a year from his patreon alone. I know that's not much compared to major game publishers/developers, or some of the super high-end youtubers, but to people like Digital Homicide, he may as well be Bill Gates.

Digital Homicide doesn't have much money either, so at the end of the day the Lawyer who wants to get paid is going to look at this and laugh because he won't collect fees for his time and trouble from his client, and he's not going to work for a share of an eventual settlement when the person going to court doesn't have any assets to pay that settlement. I suppose if DH has a lawyer willing to work the case pro-bono it might help there, but even so I can't see it.
Yeah, I still think this is some sort of donation scam on their part. Or maybe they think that Jim is all bravado and that he'd collapse and settle out of court when put under any real pressure. Hell, maybe they've convinced themselves that what they're saying is actually true. DH is what, like two people? Between them and the echo-chamber of their family and friends, who knows what they believe by now. I also think (and going by the way they've reacted to all of this) that they don't actually understand how fair use and criticism actually works. They're flailing in the dark, trying to play a game that they don't even know the rules for.

I think they've made an unbelievable miscalculation. If this was Bob Harris, with a tiny youtube channel, maybe this sort of intimidation could work. Not Jim Sterling though. The *only* youtuber that would have been worse for them to try and pick on would have been Total-frigging-Biscuit.

These clowns are doomed. Like I said, I just hope it's legal for someone to record the proceedings for posterity.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Im Lang said:
Ryotknife said:
Im Lang said:
Ryotknife said:
Im Lang said:
Are you sure that you're not just comparing the relative quality of their lawyers?
(shrugs)

The quality of your lawyer should not determine how much money you get from a lawsuit. It should be dependent on the damages.
It shouldn't determine whether you get to go back to golfing after murdering your wife and her boyfriend, or if you die in prison. It does though, all of the time, and it's not really much a of a debatable point is it? So again, are you working with the kind of sample size that supports what you're saying, or just pointing to examples that correlate with your assumptions for (maybe) other reasons?
1. what assumptions are those?

2. are you asking me to do a research project analyzing thousands if not tens of thousands of court cases? Because that sounds suspiciously like a job (not a very exciting one either, ill stick with dams), and a non paying one at that. I shouldnt need to dedicate a significant chunk of my life to back up a forum post on a gaming forum.

Out of curiosity, are you a lawyer? Because you have a tendency to ask for a burden of proof equivalent to a court of law for forum posts.
I'm not a lawyer, and I'm just asking you to support a claim. No need to get personal.
....I already supported a claim, you are asking for ridiculous levels of burden of proof, especially since there is no database that im aware of, nor any news article given a quick google search that gives what you ask. It doesnt fall under any government agency jurisdiction that im aware of. Im sure the data you are asking for exists somewhere, but it is not compiled and easy to access as far as im aware. The alternative is to comb through thousands of court cases and that doesnt even take into account how its not easy to determine how good a lawyer is, as there is no lawyer ranking system. Meaning, I would have to invent a way to quantify a lawyers ability.

EDIT: Listen, i spent 7 hours yesterday typing and researching about urban, surburban, and rural (including what exactly each category is, which isnt easy because there is not a clear consensus on what exactly an urban or suburban area is) its demographics, how it relates to crime, and the history of the War on drugs.

That was significantly easier than what you are asking me to do. Im just saying, NOBODY is going to give you the level of proof you desire on these forums.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
That's one of the major problems in the world. That there is loud and shameless scum like DH that pump out trash and do anything to rip people off, and will even go to the effort of defending it in court!

Hope you eat 'em alive Jim.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
MC1980 said:
FalloutJack said:
You know, if this were true, DH should take a page from Konami and not bother. Jim invented a meme that overtly says "Fuck Konami", and then proceeds to ream the hell out of them. Why would it work for a small-timer if the bigwigs have more and better reasons to be pissed, and they don't do anything?
I distinctly remember "Fuck Konami" (or a variant) being a thing before Jim Sterling claimed he invented it. Though I guess he would be the first notable person to use it.

Whoop-de-doo, Jim isn't original, like that never stopped him before.
I don't think Jim Fucking Sterling Son! ever claimed to have invented the term "Fuck Konami" I don't even think he invented #FucKonami, nor claimed to. All he did was use it with abandon to slam Konami in some pretty informative(and absolutely hilarious) videos about Konami's shitty business practices.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
FalloutJack said:
CaitSeith said:
Game developers now are suing critics...

That's shameful.
You know, if this were true, DH should take a page from Konami and not bother. Jim invented a meme that overtly says "Fuck Konami", and then proceeds to ream the hell out of them. Why would it work for a small-timer if the bigwigs have more and better reasons to be pissed, and they don't do anything?
I can only assume that's because Konami's legal team consists of actual lawyers, while DH's is presumably an ambulance chaser who is either not too particularly bright or doesn't give a fuck and just wants to make some easy money off these schmucks' (hopefully) hopeless case.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I hope Jim Fucking Sterling Son makes a video about his adventure through court and what a charade the entire process was for them to try because of the massive butthurt they felt and ran off to sue.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Im Lang said:
tf2godz said:
Fun Fact: Jim works for Polaris, which in terms is owned by Maker Studios which is owned by Disney, They are pretty much suing Disney.

Good luck with that.
Disney? Disney, "We just changed the copyright law of the entire United States to hold on to our collection of 'classics'" Disney?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Shit, I kind of want to have a whip-round for a real lawyer just to see this go a bit further. The comedy value cannot be overstated.
:-| fuck they just took on the mouse... first rule of lawsuits is do not take on the mouse.. the mouse will always win and claim your first born as a sacrifice to keep walt disney's frozen corpse alive... children for the mouse god !

realistically jim sterling will if he is smart keep totally quiet about this for the time being and let lawyers destroy these muppets before commenting

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Zhukov said:
http://www.digitalhomicide.ninja/#!lawsuits-information/psyu3

Take a moment to read this.

It's reads like something that was put through a translator. I'd assume it was written by someone who was not a native English speaker, but the Digihom guys are English-speaking Americans.
Holy shit! I thought I was bad at writing. The first two paragraphs have almost no commas in them. You would think they would put the effort into spellchecking their important legal Defense statement.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
tf2godz said:
Zhukov said:
http://www.digitalhomicide.ninja/#!lawsuits-information/psyu3

Take a moment to read this.

It's reads like something that was put through a translator. I'd assume it was written by someone who was not a native English speaker, but the Digihom guys are English-speaking Americans.
Holy shit! I thought I was a bad at writing. The first two paragraphs have almost no commas in them. You would think they would Put the effort into spellchecking their important legal Defense statement.
To be fair, that isn't an actual legal document. More like a blog post requesting donations.

Still, makes me wonder what any actual documents they end up submitting to court will look like. I'm imagining a judge sighing and pulling out a red pen to correct their grammar.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Contrary to the opinion of most people in this thread there are legal grounds to sue. Especially because the allegation maintains that Sterling knew the allegation to be false and made it anyway with full intention of retracting for the purposes of personal gain. I'm not sure that it's provable without a lot of legal expenses but it's not a crazy case. The claim for damages is broken down in the normal way that US damage claims normally are

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
Aren't these the hacks that made Slaughtering Grounds, then filed a false DMCA on Sterling's review of the game?

Yeah, I got no love for Jim, but I don't trust a word these guys say. He made a false claim, which he retracted/corrected later and they are relying on a technicality to get back at him for the scathing coverage of their disastrous product. He should let Polaris clean them out and finally be done with this nonsense.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Albino Boo said:
Contrary to the opinion of most people in this thread there are legal grounds to sue. Especially because the allegation maintains that Sterling knew the allegation to be false and made it anyway with full intention of retracting for the purposes of personal gain. I'm not sure that it's provable without a lot of legal expenses but it's not a crazy case. The claim for damages is broken down in the normal way that US damage claims normally are
personal gain would be hard to argue since his videos aren't monetised with ads or the like, So views don't gain him anything. So saying stuff to get views and retracting it later makes no sense.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
JCAll said:
tf2godz said:
Fun Fact: Jim works for Polaris, which in terms is owned by Maker Studios which is owned by Disney, They are pretty much suing Disney.

Good luck with that.
I want the Jim Sterling/Digital Homicide trial to be a level in Kingdom Hearts 3!
If I was me and I had skills as a game developer, I would created a Ace Attorney Fan game.
If we have Ace Attorney style games with Ponies and Touhou characters, we can have Jim God and Homo Die [I have fun with names] in a game as well.

Also please let me read the document to comment later

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
CaitSeith said:
tf2godz said:
CaitSeith said:
tf2godz said:

Good luck with that.
As far as I know, no. Jim is self-employed.
He at least at one point worked there and I doubt he lost his connection and friends when he left, so I doubt if this lawsuit happens he's going to fight this alone
Just to clarify this, Jim's YouTube gaming stuff is part of Maker (so the stuff he runs adds on, "Jimpression" videos and the like) while his website (reviews and the Jimquisition), which is funded by Patreon, is not part of Maker at all. Since the initial slaughtering grounds video was a gameplay, that's part of Disney, but all the other stuff was jimquisitions so not Disney. I think Disney would help Jim out, except for the fact that he needs absolutely no help

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
This is one of those things where if DH gets anywhere in court it sets legal precedent, so it's in every video games youtuber to support Jim's legal costs.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hoplon said:
Albino Boo said:
personal gain would be hard to argue since his videos aren't monetised with ads or the like, So views don't gain him anything. So saying stuff to get views and retracting it later makes no sense.
Sterling receives around $117,000 a year from his patreon and gets paid per view on youtube.