Jim Sterling leaves The Escapist

Idon'tcareanymore

Dec 29, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
psn_habalhabden said:
So, with LRR gone and Jim going... who do you think'll leave next? Yahtzee or Moviebob?
I see Yahtzee leaving well before Bob. Not that I want him to. He got me here. The Escapist would be dead to me if he left.
Yeah, you're probably right. Yahtzee has his channel where he does Let's Drown out, so putting ZP there would probably be easy for him. And I don't want either to go, just looking like it could be that sort of stage here and else where.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
He'd only been here a few months hadn't he?
Either way, eh. When I see some of his titles that are kind of interesting I find myself watching on occasion but he's never been a content creator I really got into.
Best of luck to him either way.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Soleca said:
Also I am genuinely sorry to Archon if GG caused this.
All things considered, that seems very unlikely. Seems more to do with his personal views clashing with the corporate model websites like here use, and his patreon page only seems to support that.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
psn_habalhabden said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
psn_habalhabden said:
So, with LRR gone and Jim going... who do you think'll leave next? Yahtzee or Moviebob?
I see Yahtzee leaving well before Bob. Not that I want him to. He got me here. The Escapist would be dead to me if he left.
Yeah, you're probably right. Yahtzee has his channel where he does Let's Drown out, so putting ZP there would probably be easy for him. And I don't want either to go, just looking like it could be that sort of stage here and else where.
Well Bob has something like 5 shows here and keeps adding more, he seems to be in his comfort zone. Not counting Uncivil War, which was a joint thing with Jim, Yahtzee only has 2, and I imagine he can get anywhere he wants with ZP alone.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Not very happy to see this come around but I can't say I'm surprised. I bet the owners of the Escapist are going to want to get another view magnet like him. Well, we still have Yahtzee...

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE!

What would actually break my heart would be LRR leaving. We need funny Canadians to represent dammit!!

Well, I guess the Jimquisition badge on my profile is going to have more significance as time goes on.

Sep 8, 2010
Aaaaand 5 bucks a month to Jim from me. One less reason to renew my Pub Club membership. Jim has actually personally been a dick to me on twitter and I STILL like the guy enough to support him. Nice to see him sticking to his principles.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Well, this sucks.

Jim was honestly the last person I actually viewed the content of on this site. He will be miss.

But I'm on the forums most of the time anyways, so it's not too bad, I suppose.

JonSherwell

Mar 21, 2013
This seems like quite a blow to The Escapist. I'm wondering if they'll seek to replace his videos... their schedule is beginning to look a little bare-bones. Yahtzee, Jim, and Bob seem like the big guns around here (bigger, at least, than Lisa Foiles [RIP]), so it will be difficult to find someone who can match his calibre.

I think the worst part of this is no more Uncivil War. I knew something was fishy when they didn't post the Yahtzee mustard poem video today...

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
http://www.patreon.com/jimquisition <- here is his patreon for those interested. Which also details what youtube channels his content will be on now, and why he's going indie.

Good on him for not only standing up for but acting on his principles.

Trinket to Ride

Jul 13, 2014
Wow. I'm shocked. Jim was the heaviest hitter around here aside from Yahtzee. Escapist takes another step towards becoming MovieBob.com

I think at this point, if/when Yahtzee decides to leave, that'll be it for Escapist...

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
My first thought was "That's very ballsy of Jim, he just got here with a very comfortable job."
But appearently it wasn't comfortable enough for him, so I wish Jim the best.
I like Jim's stuff, I'llwatch his videos and read his reviews over there. I won't support his stuff though, not because I don't want to but because I can't. Even if I could, I would support someone like RageSelect or Campster, people without huge cult followings like him.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
VanQ said:
When Jim first showed up on this site, he was such a breath of fresh air to me. He was the first content deliverer since Yahtzee in his early days that took no guff and said what was on his mind and he often would come out and say just the same thing I was thinking just with more pizazz.

Unfortunately, in the last few months I've seen his show steer away from his pro-consumer ideals and more towards just ripping on bad games and ripping on groups of people with absolutely no show of guile. It's actually gotten to a point where once I eagerly looked forward to Tuesday mornings because I could watch the latest Jimquisition before work to me just... well not bothering to watch them because I know he's just gonna be snarky towards a portion of his audience.

And I know part of his persona is to be snarky but recently it just hasn't been the same. Where once he generally aimed his rants at the parts of the industry that needed a light shined on it, lately he just kinda snarks on people that he doesn't agree with. Which is sad.

I'm happy for him that he's going his own way, I truly think that a voice like his needs to be freed of the constraints of a boss/editor. But unless he kinda turns himself around and makes a return to the Jim that I used to love to watch, I may just end up finding my pro-consumer voice elsewhere. It's actually a rather similar situation that I had with Moviebob, whose content I boycott entirely now.

Anyway, I wish Jim the absolute best of luck with his future endeavors and Thank God for the years of entertainment that he has provided for me.
Kinda silly maybe, but I just wanted to point out how much I like this post. It pretty much sums up my feelings about Jim as of late and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to notice. I think a lot of it has to do with the growing popularity of his YouTube Channel, where he gets quite a bit of attention trashing games and picking on low hanging fruit on Steam. It kinda spilt into the Jimqusitoin, which is a shame. That's not why I initially liked watching Jim and I still can't fully get behind his ideas about Steam curation.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Well, that didn't last very long.

That'll bring the amount of videos I regularly watch on The Escapist down to zero.

I'll probably still watch his videos if the subject matter interests me but that's pretty much what I did while they were here.
Critical Miss is like the last thing I have left on The Escapist, content-wise.

Still, let us remember the good times. I remember when the first Jimquisition came out and everybody hated it.
*wipes away tear*

Seriously though, I really enjoyed some of his work and it's a shame to see him go.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
VanQ said:
Where once he generally aimed his rants at the parts of the industry that needed a light shined on it, lately he just kinda snarks on people that he doesn't agree with. Which is sad.
When I read this it reads as,

"I used to agree with Jim and the stuff he complained about. Now I don't agree with stuff he complains about."

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Uhh, no. I usually agree with what he says. And I've disagreed with him plenty of times in the past. He's just been talking less about the industry lately and that's what I enjoyed watching him for.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Soleca said:
The good news is you only have to pay him 72000 dollars a year on patreon to keep him going.

where did you get that number from?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Eric the Orange said:
Soleca said:
The good news is you only have to pay him 72000 dollars a year on patreon to keep him going.

where did you get that number from?
Jim had a "milestone goal" of raking in $6,000 a month (that makes $72,000 a year) to keep up his new endeavor. This used to show up in his Patreon page or whatever you call it. However he has since edited that bit of information. I quote:

Edit: I have removed the milestone, because while it was consistent with the money I was making previously, it was making people scratch heads, and goes against the "pay what you want" idea. So, no milestones at all!
http://www.patreon.com/jimquisition

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
I may not agree with much Jim says these days, but you got to respect a man you is trying to strike it out on his own. I probably won't be following him anymore, but I hope it works out.