Jim Sterling leaves The Escapist

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Well, this is sad news in a way...

Good luck Jim.

And sorry about all the dumb 'thank god for me' jokes.

(Oh wait. I did those with my facebook account... Never mind then... XD)

Anyway, what is this place going to do without him? At this point all that's really left is Yahtzee and Moviebob...

Seeing the video content on this site now, compared to what it was like when I joined makes me quite sad...
It's like someone just decided it wasn't worth the effort to make decent content for the escapist anymore...

Once upon a time we had comedy, and animations, and lots of other stuff... But over time more and more of that has just vanished, and not been replaced by anything...

YicklePigeon

Jan 3, 2012
The lad's honest at least, and transparent about his motivations. I can objectively disagree with his views on Twitter, but that didn't stop me from pledging a dollar (not rich) a month.

So yes, he does have a mouth on him and can be a bit of an idiot. But he's not a bad person and does make the attempt to be honest, which should be enough for most of us.

Regards,

Yickle.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mr Cwtchy said:
In all honesty, I'm not at all sad he's leaving. Jim's facade of being pro-consumer shattered when the whole GG mess kicked off, and with it went his credibility, far as I'm concerned.
It's kind of sad that Jim's crediblity seems to heavily tied to his acceptance of a conspiracy theory.

But then, I felt the same way about Jay Leno and the Lizard people, so I guess I understand.

Aug 31, 2012
Eh...not really cared about anything he's done since Podtoid/Dismal Jesters shut down, which is something I still miss. Good luck to him, but this is pretty much a case of "and nothing I value was lost".

ZedOmega

Nothing To See Here
Aug 20, 2014
Figured I'd chime in on this, considering this is the first thing I found out about when I woke up.

Up until three months ago, Jimquisition was one of the reasons aside from ZP that I even knew about The Escapist. It was honestly good to see someone willing to tell AAA and indies alike off when they acted like total jackasses. Admittedly, his cutting ties with The Escapist was a bit of a shock. From what I saw on his Patreon page, he'll be alright.

Granted, I don't agree with him on a few things (though I still admit that whoever at ImminentUprising slapped his first impression video with a DMCA needs a good solid slap) but his reasoning on his Patreon is valid when you cut away the fluff. I think the mature thing to do would be to wish him godspeed.

That said, good luck, Jim.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Hmm...
With extra credits and jimquisition gone, there's like nothing on here that keeps me anymore.
It certainly isn't the exceptional journalism, escapist "no one cares about dawngate, people only play league and heroes".
Youtube keeps me just as informed if not more so.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Anyway, I'd say I'm going to miss Jim, but I'll follow him in any format. Well, maybe not a nasal vector. I have allergies, you know. It is kind of unfortunate that there's less content for me to watch on The Escapist, though. I guess it's just Lrrrrr and ZP, primarily, then.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I haven't really followed his work much lately. I guess I can remove another site from my tab bar thing though. No intention of contributing to Patreon in general so... meh.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
L. Declis said:
Jim left? What happened to Uncivil War?

That means I'm only here for Yahtzee. If he decides to jump ship, or stop, then I'm leaving the Escapist. The forum has just been getting more poisonous and the articles they release just aren't very good.

I also don't care about Disney Princesses. But since ZP is on Youtube, it might just be easier to go there and get it all together.

Good bye, Escapist.
Yeah, though I grew an increasing dislike for Jim's latest content, I still sat down and gave it a watch sometimes.

I don't know what's been happening to the escapist recently. They're publishing other work from other places like Game Theory on here now. I only watch Yahtzee when he reviews a game I'm interested in hearing about, which lately has been like 1 in 7. The forums are becoming pretty bad.

At least No Right Answer is still decent. Otherwise, I'll probably be moving on soon as well.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Da Fuq????
That came out of nowhere. And there is supposed to be a new Uncivil War season going on right about now...

If it's not conveniently on here I guess I shall cease to partake in your efforts, Jim. Sorry!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Ishal said:
I don't know what's been happening to the escapist recently.
They got bought by yet another big parent company and many core people - like Susan Arendt and Greg Tito - left some time ago...

Will stay for the newsfeed, ZP (forever!!!) and LRR's stuff. And Bob I guess.
Time to bring back Doraleous and especially Apocalypse Lane, guys!!! :)

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Aw dude! I LOVE The Escapist! It's a cool website I just found, and it has LOADS of awesome, unique shows like Extra Credi- what? No? Oh.

Hey, that's okay. There are plenty of other great features unique to the site, such as this hilarious guy named Jim Sterling that runs a funny, yet insightful show called Jimquisition that- huh? Really? Again?

That's fine. I'll still continue to come here, rest assured that I can always count on there being a refreshed news headline "DUDE BUILDS SOMETHING OUT OF LEGOS" on the front page. Never gets old!

maffgibson

Deep Breath Taker
Sep 10, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Mr Cwtchy said:
In all honesty, I'm not at all sad he's leaving. Jim's facade of being pro-consumer shattered when the whole GG mess kicked off, and with it went his credibility, far as I'm concerned.
It's kind of sad that Jim's crediblity seems to heavily tied to his acceptance of a conspiracy theory.

But then, I felt the same way about Jay Leno and the Lizard people, so I guess I understand.
Especially seeing as how there are a lot of people trying to frame it as him leaving the Escapist because it "isn't biased enough for him".

Funny, you would think that they would view someone cutting corporate and advertising ties in order to give his work away for free and appealing for small donations from his viewers as a mark of integrity.

OT: What can I say? Now that I have calmed down and realised that he will still be providing all that delicious content, just on a less convenient platform, I have to say I am happy for him. Whether the Escapist convinces me to renew my PubClub subscription remains to be seen: It was Jim's "Adblock" episode which convinced me to subscribe in the first place. When I am a little more flush, I'll be happy to throw a few bucks his way.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Kenjitsuka said:
Ishal said:
I don't know what's been happening to the escapist recently.
They got bought by yet another big parent company and many core people - like Susan Arendt and Greg Tito - left some time ago...

Will stay for the newsfeed, ZP (forever!!!) and LRR's stuff. And Bob I guess.
Time to bring back Doraleous and especially Apocalypse Lane, guys!!! :)
Wait... Greg Tito is gone? What?

I didn't care for Susan in a similar way I don't care for Bob. But I thought Tito was still here.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Jim hasn't had anything original to say for a while now, good riddance.

So how long until Bob leaves and applies for hipster welfare?

Soleca

Sep 5, 2014
Wow three pages since last night while Naruto manages 4, I'd have thought Jim leaving would have been a bigger deal.

Oh well let's see how long the patreon bucks keep up after the hullabaloo dies down.

I hope his video reviews are better than his youtube channel after being a long time subscriber there I ended up losing interest as he just seemed unfocused and angry.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
maffgibson said:
Funny, you would think that they would view someone cutting corporate and advertising ties in order to give his work away for free and appealing for small donations from his viewers as a mark of integrity.
Yes. Thank you. Thank you.

He even mentions his intent to disclose whether or not he's using a review copy, something the ethics crowd has been screaming about. Which, as I've sounded off on before, I don't get, but if Jim's going to do it, it seems like more of giving them exactly what they want.

The "ethics in journalism" thing rings even more hollow today than it did yesterday. Quite a feat.