Jim Sterling Plays Terrible Game, Angry Dev Reposts Video With Response UPDATE 2

silverleaf81

Oct 2, 2009
He accuses Sterling of hurting his game sales (which is possibly true), but doesn't seem to understand that getting enraged, abusing others and making a terrible quality game also hurts sales.

Does he really believe his game is worth $10?! $8.49?! I could buy L4D 2 right now for $5!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wow, whiny and semi-literate. This guy's a keeper.

josemlopes said:
To be honest they both fucked it up, the dev had no reason to do that and their game is indeed terrible and Jim really was playing like an idiot for the sake of making the video more fun but less informative.
This video series is specifically oriented towards simply jumping into the game. He's never hidden this and refers back to it.

And honestly, given the complaints people have had about the game being poorly balanced and unintuitive, I'm not sure Jim's playing like an idiot so much as playing like someone who didn't spend 3 hours delving into research for a ten dollar game.

If you want TB, go with TB. That's not the intent here.

Zhukov said:
At least Phil Fish was funny.
I don't know, this guy's cracking me up.

Gizmo1990 said:
It is already backfiring on them because Jim now has a badass new nickname.
I hear if you say "Jim Fucking Sterling, son!" three times, Jim will appear and eviscerate your game.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I like how the presumably dev left his e-mail in the video description of his/hers responce.

That said, some indie devs gett butthurt for no reason, do we have a 'Phil Fish 2.0' here?

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
lokun489 said:
Guess what? It got better. It got so much better. You know how Jim said that he wanted to guy to review his review of the guys review of his supposed review? He did, and it's right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugqg3cbfETc
Popcorn material, I'm truelly interested how this will unfold on the long term.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I'm kinda iffy on this.

Given Jim's history, it's seemingly yet another situation in which Jim is rude towards a male indie dev, indie dev being dumb and everyone dog piling on them.

I don't support harassment of anyone, regardless of how poor of a game they make. But, I can't help but see this as a highlight of Jim's hypocrisy that he's fine with revelling in this while decrying any criticism of other games as "Harassment".

It's one thing to critically review a game as being bad.

It's another to mock it and the developer for that.

Sosa Star

Nov 23, 2009
The Lunatic said:
I'm kinda iffy on this.

Given Jim's history, it's seemingly yet another situation in which Jim is rude towards a male indie dev, indie dev being dumb and everyone dog piling on them.

I don't support harassment of anyone, regardless of how poor of a game they make. But, I can't help but see this as a highlight of Jim's hypocrisy that he's fine with revelling in this while decrying any criticism of other games as "Harassment".

It's one thing to critically review a game as being bad.

It's another to mock it and the developer for that.
To be honest, the developer started it. Jim did a first impression of the game, which was honest and what a new player might think or notice. The developer replied with profanity, insults and personal attacks AND PUT IT ON YOUTUBE! He was asking for trouble, and Jim has never asked people to attack this guy.

He's been asking us to laugh at his face, and many of us have been :)

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
Jateca said:
Another video has been posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugqg3cbfETc&list=UUsgTnbnZfHU9TY1F9i2eucQ

I truly hope this is the actual developer and not just a troll. I have no idea how someone could be so sanctimonious and lacking in self-awareness, but it's hilarious!
Well the video has a point though. Riffing on other people's work has no risk involved compared to actually rolling the dice and making a game.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Well, as childish as that was, at least they apparently did try getting Jim's video taken down?
Maybe the developer is trying to get some publicity out of this, by acting like an entitled idiot?

Which they have, but it's not gonna translate into sales of your game.

jklinders said:
Crap games getting onto Steam with no quality filter
How did this get onto Steam in the first place?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
DoPo said:
I really like "Jim Fucking Sterling" but I also like how there was "Jim Fucking Sterling son". It didn't make much sense, to be honest, but it's almost like some sort of tile
He was using it sort of like "I'm Rick James *****!" with son replacing ***** in the example. Sort of as an exclamation and emphasis.
Of course, the proper way to write that is with a comma. Because it's addressing somebody, friend, just like I did now. Which was my point - without the comma, it's not "I'm Jim Fucking Sterling, son" but wrong...among all the other things wrong in that dev's rant but still. However, a similar correct but different construct is "X son of Y". Which was what my joke was about.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I'd love to see a tshirt with the Jimquision logo but the text instead reads, "Jim Fucking Sterling".

vledleR

Nov 3, 2014
What a whiner. He's criticizing Jim for not playing the game that he wanted him to, but none of what he wants is reflected in the design. Jim was wandering around aimlessly because the level design was crap. There was a no tutorial, and a terrible UI to boot.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
vledleR said:
What a whiner. He's criticizing Jim for not playing the game that he wanted him to, but none of what he wants is reflected in the design. Jim was wandering around aimlessly because the level design was crap. There was a no tutorial, and a terrible UI to boot.
I also like how in the beginning he's whining about reviewers not contributing anything and then at the end he says how reviews, such as Jim's one can help (or hinder) a game. It's almost like *gasp* helping a game is contribution.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I agree with Jim: the developer's answer was freaking entertaining.

seris

Oct 14, 2013
boy oh boy i cant wait to get home and watch Jim Fucking Sterling stomp all over this horrible devs reply. wouldnt be surprised if this dev is under 20.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
DoPo said:
Happyninja42 said:
DoPo said:
I really like "Jim Fucking Sterling" but I also like how there was "Jim Fucking Sterling son". It didn't make much sense, to be honest, but it's almost like some sort of tile
He was using it sort of like "I'm Rick James *****!" with son replacing ***** in the example. Sort of as an exclamation and emphasis.
Of course, the proper way to write that is with a comma. Because it's addressing somebody, friend, just like I did now. Which was my point - without the comma, it's not "I'm Jim Fucking Sterling, son" but wrong...among all the other things wrong in that dev's rant but still. However, a similar correct but different construct is "X son of Y". Which was what my joke was about.
Ah, well I wasn't aware that you were telling a joke, and thought you were genuinely puzzled by the use of phrasing, thus my clarification of use.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah real professional coming from that indie developers. I would like to see this getting out of control like the Totalbiscuit incident. Seriously this is the internet, the developers should understand that.

EDIT- Upon watching Jim response 2, yeah the developer are pretty much digging their own grave now, it's not a suprised that their videos have been removed.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I know this wont be popular but Im going to play a bit of devils advocate here. There are a lot of assumptions flying around that I feel like this is one of those times where an opposite viewpoint is needed. That said, I am not the dev to this game (in fact Ive never made a game in my life) and while I agree that it looks like a bad game I dont like the mob mentality Im seeing either.

1. We dont know that this is the developer behind the slaughtering grounds. IMO it is unfair of us to put the blame solely on him/her/them without any kind of actual evidence. In the case of Wild star games taking down totalbiscuits first impressions of Day one: Gary's incident we actually had evidence that they were behind that. Thats not the case here. In my country, USA, we do not convict individuals of crimes without evidence of wrong doing and in no sane society do we punish people for the actions of another.

Is it possible it was a dev? Yes. Can we prove it was? Not to my knowledge. Without evidence to prove that the Review the reviewer video was created by the developer I feel its unfair to essentially boycott or otherwise harm their company or its image for reasons that dont equate to their work. Furthermore if it was a developer they could legally use the content matching software in Youtube to flag their game from being shown except in the case of content creators that get permission from them. They would loose out on sales but they could do it. Yet they havnt. So assuming this is a developer lets give some credit where credit is due

If you think they made a bad game, and I agree TSG is a bad game, then by all means criticize the hell out of it and/or dont buy it. However dont start calling for their game to be pulled or a mass boycott on the basis that you think, but can not prove, the developer made this response video.

Edit: Since the dev came out and said that he was responsible for the review the reviewer video I withdraw my earlier point. By all means hold him/her accountable for their actions but again keep in mind that they could have just as easily copyright striked or content ID matched the game. They deserve some credit for not using those tools

2. Criticizing a critic is totally fine. There have been many cases where I felt a critic did a poor job addressing the faults of a game or otherwise hurt their own review by not properly learning how the game worked. Years ago when Angry Joe did his review (an actual review not 1st impression) of alpha protocol he failed to learn the mechanics properly and misrepresented the game and how it worked. I think it was last year Totalbiscuit did a 1st impressions of Guise of the wolf in which he made a lot of criticisms that I felt didnt match up with what I was watching in the video. Then there's Jim himself who quite awhile ago pretty much attacked the dark souls community representing us as angry over an "easy mode" that was never even talked about by the director while simultaneously ignoring what we were actually saying which was we felt such a mode would cheapen the game for us. This kind of stuff happens from time to time.

In the case of this specific video I noticed the "quest" list up in the top left within the first 10 seconds of the game and I noticed the "try again" audio que corresponding with the timers. I put two and two together. For whatever reason Jim didnt seem to notice them but I think the not noticing them part was a valid criticism of Jim's 1st impression

Critics, like me, are human beings. We all make mistakes. However a critics work is just as open to criticism as the work they are criticizing. Theres an entire award (the pulitzer prize for criticism) based around the best criticism and critiques with mistakes like the ones I mentioned never measure up to it

To be fair Review the Reviewer did an abysmal job with critiquing the critique but thats not the point Im trying to make here