Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Because I Could Not Stop For Loading Times

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
elvor0 said:
I think Jim might be taking the piss to be fair, I think a lot of people complain about him looking down at his paper rather than at the audience, and a lot of people moan about his smug persona, so he was likely just hamming it up.
How dare Jim read from a page rather than have minute flaws similar to the ones I caught from Yahtzee's delivery! The nerve of the man!!! :D

Yeah, I can see how he'd ham it up in response to such criticisms. Good for you, Jim.

elvor0 said:
Also, grokk(ed)? I take it you mean clock(ed)? :p
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

At it's most basic grok means "I truly understand". Originating in Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land it had similarities to kythe from Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time series "The Time Quartet". You'd have to read both Heinlein's and L'Engle's books to see why, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kything

Or did I just miss a joke thanks to my allergy medicine misted mind? :D

chriswolvie

Aug 25, 2009
THE RIVALS
by Chris Wolvie

There once were two rivals, one red and one blue
Jumping on foes was one thing they'd both do
One would punch bricks for each mushroom and flower
The other would speed at umpteen miles an hour

They had the same goal; yes, they had the same ends
Freeing the land and to help out their friends
And they both beat bosses so big and so mean
They'd do it each time just to see the next scene

But they didn't meet for a decade or two
These two bitter rivals, one red and one blue
These company mascots just stayed far away
On their own consoles for people to play

They both played in 2D; they both played in three
They both had their partners we cared not to see
But the twain never met; fanboys hardly missed 'em
'Cause you couldn't play both unless you had both systems

Then one day the blue one's life tanked very fast
For his bosses proclaimed the console was their last
But the spiny guy's days were not totally dead
He'd show up on ALL consoles, including the red's!

They still stayed apart, though; they had their own worlds
Still winning the heart of each boy and each girl
But their popularity was getting askew-ed
Quite frankly, the red guy was clobb'ring the blue

And then, in ought-seven, their worlds did collide
The two bitter rivals were now side-by-side
Would they fight on together? Stomp foes of both sorts?
Uh, no. They just brought in friends to play some sports

Then the next year came the king of them all
The red had invited the blue to a Brawl
But I feel he felt insulted by that take;
Before asking a hedgehog, he brought in a Snake

They got back together to match sporting wits
They played in Vancouver and then with the Brits
They'll play with the Russians on red guy's WiiU
(Assuming there're owners...I heard there were few)

These two former rivals, one red and one blue
They prob'bly meet up at times for a drink or two
They think of the good times, and sometimes they hoot,
"Remember that idiot, Crash Bandicoot?!?"

penthesilea180

Jul 25, 2010
There could easily be an interesting poem about Peach constantly having to endure Bowser's unwanted, yet surprisingly pointless interruptions to her role in governing the mushroom kingdom. Maybe she uses her time in the spacious dungeon to catch up on fungal health care costs and toadstool tax exemption laws.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
It was easy to know its going to be Mario for Yathzees one but boy listejing to it i got the shivers, you know, those where your whole body is so excited and pleased at the same time. this show has been steadily improvinjg and this is the best episode yet. you guys put words like "awesome" to shame for how poorly they describe. you know i never though i will ever follow any celebrity like those fokls that are crazy, but the more i see of you two the more i think maybe im bnot that different.

murdeoc said:
and jim, do you know another voice intonation besides angry or smug?
Hes brittish, thats his natural state of being.
No, but really, on podcasts from 10 years ago his voice intonation were still the same.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Copper Zen said:
elvor0 said:
I think Jim might be taking the piss to be fair, I think a lot of people complain about him looking down at his paper rather than at the audience, and a lot of people moan about his smug persona, so he was likely just hamming it up.
How dare Jim read from a page rather than have minute flaws similar to the ones I caught from Yahtzee's delivery! The nerve of the man!!! :D

Yeah, I can see how he'd ham it up in response to such criticisms. Good for you, Jim.

elvor0 said:
Also, grokk(ed)? I take it you mean clock(ed)? :p
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

At it's most basic grok means "I truly understand". Originating in Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land it had similarities to kythe from Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time series "The Time Quartet". You'd have to read both Heinlein's and L'Engle's books to see why, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kything

Or did I just miss a joke thanks to my allergy medicine misted mind? :D
mm, you learn something new every day! Just assumed it was just a miss-spelling from English not being your first language or something. But turns out it's actually a pretty useful word.

octochan

Apr 3, 2013
The_Darkness said:
Picked up on Yahtzee's fairly early on. (About when it was mentioned that 'he' never speaks to 'her'. There was a chance it might be Link, but Mario is far more famous and Link usually has a bit more plot than a 'journey to track down a lady'.) I still liked the punchline though.
I figured the same thing! Especially given Yahtzee's penchant for allegory. The punchline was a bit of a letdown, though, since the rhyme was so forced.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
The thumbnail of the video kinda gave away immediately what they would both be about =S I wouldn't have guessed Yahtzee's so quickly otherwise.

Still waiting for someone to beat Yahtzee's Chest High Wall poem X) I was laughing so hard that I couldn't breathe.

Jim's punchline was awesome in this one! XD

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
As someone who has never been invested in the Sonic franchise, even I am frequently bamboozeled when I tune in, now and then.
It's just absolutely astonishing what happened to the franchise that could once rival Mario.
(It did not escape me that, from the two giants, one gets made fun of because he's "too famous", and the other gets made fun of because his games are shit.)
Like, every descicion they make - get more characters, make a werewolf version, 3D platforming/racing attempts - they all went horribly fucking wrong, somehow.
Statistically, this should be impossible. But somehow they manage to hit the bullshit-bullseye every. Single. Time.
It's just been a blast, watching the entire franchise crash and burn in slow-motion.

Today's captcha: basket case
Oh, captcha. Will you ever stop to amuse me? Probably not.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
I loved Jim's pause at the end of each stanza
And Ben's experimenting stepping off camera.

The guys are getting better at this! I don't give a rat's ass who "wins"

harbinger942

Jan 4, 2010
this one could be good" .......PFFFFFF HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHA