Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Buy An Xbox One Today

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
Buy An Xbox One Today

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Jim, that song is glorious. I'd love someone to get that over to the M.com/MS bigwigs just to see their reactions to this dealing.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Yahtzee's poem raised a smile, but Jim's effort made me laugh out loud from the outset. Of course that's what he was going to do XD

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Jimmy, of course you aren't getting paid, you don't have 30 seconds of gameplay footage.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Goliath100 said:
Jimmy, of course you aren't getting paid, you don't have 30 seconds of gameplay footage.
Well, to be fair, if he did have 30 seconds of gameplay footage, the video would have been claimed as copyright infringement by someone claiming to be the developer and he wouldn't get paid anyway... and neither would Yahtzee for appearing in the same video, because that's how automated content claims work.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I thought Yahtzee would've done the Buy an Xbox One Today poem, but he didn't. Is Yahtzee's poem about Knack? It seems a bit like it.

And it seems Jim has gotten his Xbox One? Feelin' happy, Jim? That song was happy, it made me happy.

BallerBalderKnight

Jan 15, 2014
Evonisia said:
I thought Yahtzee would've done the Buy and Xbox One Today poem, but he didn't. Is Yahtzee's poem about Knack? It seems a bit like it.

And it seems Jim has gotten his Xbox One? Feelin' happy, Jim? That song was happy, it made me happy.
I thought his poem was about games. As in actual games and changes to them. About how they're just a meaningless race to get to the end, whatever that end is. Cutscenes, levels complete, and win states in general. Games are always about getting there. That's the hole they seem to always want to fill. A need for accomplishment rather than an enjoyment of the adventure. Like People's need for a HL3 even though half life 1 and 2 were great games that ended on an decent note IMO. The story wasn't complete but the story of half life isn't one of complete knowledge, it's about having fun in a new engine valve made.

His ending seems to put the blame on the consumer for game industries direction. Rightly so IMO. But i could just be interpreting it through my own out of focus glasses.

And i liked Jim's song. It was fun, but it was more of a statement where Yahtzee's poem gave me questions to ponder. I would have preferred that they were presented in reverse order.

panosbouk

Feb 28, 2011
Evonisia said:
I thought Yahtzee would've done the Buy and Xbox One Today poem, but he didn't. Is Yahtzee's poem about Knack? It seems a bit like it.

No Jim was mocking the whole thing with Microsoft and Machinima, when they where paying youtubers $3 per CPM (or $3 for every 1,000 views) bonus if they included at least 30 seconds of Xbox One footage and mentioned the console by name in their videos

As for Yahtzee, I have no idea what he was talking about

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
Outstanding song Jim. I am looking forward to "Jim Sterling presents: Console wars lounge music" later in 2014 :p

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Nice work from Yahtzee, perhaps I should share this with a few of my Temple Run addicted friends?

I'm not normally a massive fan of Jim's section, but this song was genuinely funny. I think Jim should do more songs, his delivery here was spectacular.

iamscottevil

Nov 24, 2009
Yahtzee the former, Jimothy the latter
Existential dread, biting satire
Both make a point, neither anew
I enjoyed it, so should you.

Hope Jim Got Paid. Gotsta get paid.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
BallerBalderKnight said:
Like People's need for a HL3 even though half life 1 and 2 were great games that ended on an decent note IMO. The story wasn't complete but the story of half life isn't one of complete knowledge, it's about having fun in a new engine valve made.
To be fair, while HL1 and HL2 were fairly complete stories, HL2:Episode 2 ended on a substantial cliffhanger, and they gave the expectation that more was coming in the near future. If they had ended Half-Life with HL2 then announced the series was finished, obviously there would still be some people clamoring for more, but far fewer.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I get the feeling Jim is concerned we might think he was paid for his endorsement.

Evonisia said:
It sounds like a lot of games.

Triality

May 9, 2011
Jim. I love you to death, but your presentation is sloppy. You look like you just woke up and are wearing the glasses to hide your hangover or lessen the glare that is feeding your migraine. Clean up, for your sake. You offer brilliant and biting poetic insight into the worst trends in the games industry. Don't delegitimize yourself with such an unserious amateur-hour vlog look. I thought that's why you got that podium.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Jim first gave us his version of "Wonder Wall" and now this. Bravo! Yahtzee's was about... um... a racing game?

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
So Jim doesn't get money from the Escapist for his poetry? Luckily, he seems to get by on air, love and pawning all the weird stuff people mail to him :p