Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Confessions of a Game Reviewer

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I liked what Yathzee done with the shooters but it felt kinda pointless, like beating a horse thats long dead. Especially after few last poems were so good i could feel the heat from the burn.
I still get the Jims rhyme in my head as i write this, kinda strage even though i liked it. And i firmly stand for the message Jim sends.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
Why Jim, I'm sure the recent kerfuffle on the Ride to Hell review had nothing to do with this.

Both of you did fantastic. Probably my favorite one yet.

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
Yet Jim... You don't regret it yet.

Definite win for Yahtzee today I'd say. Delivery was flawless.

That's my review anyway.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Maybe its just me, entirely possible seeings how I'm relatively new to this site, but Jim seems to spend a lot of these poem session defending himself. I've read some of his reviews and compared them side-by-side with Yatzhee's review of the same game and the later is much more scathing and unforgiving. And yet if these poems are anything to go by, Jim gets ten times the backlash, hate and snotty remarks. Am I missing something? I don't frequent the other sites Jim submits review to as often; are they just filling with frothing gamers who can't stand someone saying Heavy Rain was more boring than the Sheltering Sky?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Another wonderful Rhymedown, gentlemen. I especially enjoyed Yahtzee's poem on shooters and he looked rather spiffy in a suit and tie. Jim is a joy to listen to, as always, especially when he's talking about "emotions". =D

MichaelMaverick

Jan 28, 2009
No Jim, I assure you that your biggest mishap by far was indeed Vanquish, which is objectively good at the very least. Don't worry though, I can't even get angry at your reviews any more. :D

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
And this is why I get my happy butt over to Destructoid for reviews of games. There is no BS "oh someone reviewed this game. BTW the page was paid for by the people who made the game, it got a 10 SURPRISE!" You know like other sites do.... *cough ign* I want people who are not afraid to call a turd a turd and if a developer lies to the reviewer, I want to see a SCATHING video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6832-A-LIE-ns-Colonial-Marines] posted calling the assholes out.....

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Silentpony said:
Maybe its just me, entirely possible seeings how I'm relatively new to this site, but Jim seems to spend a lot of these poem session defending himself. I've read some of his reviews and compared them side-by-side with Yatzhee's review of the same game and the later is much more scathing and unforgiving. And yet if these poems are anything to go by, Jim gets ten times the backlash, hate and snotty remarks. Am I missing something? I don't frequent the other sites Jim submits review to as often; are they just filling with frothing gamers who can't stand someone saying Heavy Rain was more boring than the Sheltering Sky?
Destructoid community members have been trying to coin a "Never forget Vanquish!" t-shirt in memoriam of Jim's score for it, and constantly whine about how he'll give a pass to something like CoD while complaining about Mario Kart. And they're pretty much brought up on every one of his reviews.

Personally I liked Jim's more this week, just because it was only a few days ago I saw yet another Destructoid review comments section raging about how terrible Jim's taste must be. XD

I find myself agreeing with his impressions fairly often, except where Sonic is concerned. Vanquish is a game I haven't been able to finish, with my emotions ranging between "This is all right... I'm having a bit of fun" to "ASLT:AJFSKL: EFF YOU GAME!" while playing it, while I can find a lot to love in The Witcher 2 there's really nothing about it that grabs me and makes me want to keep going, and the less said about Final Fantasy XIII the better.

It's why he's one of the few reviewers whose opinion I value beyond just a cursory examination of a game's mechanics or production values.

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
impocalyptic said:
Thank you Yahtzee for reminding us all about how we chose to do a bad thing.
"Chose" might be too big of a word. In that scene, after I shot (commanded my pet white boy to snipe) the infinitely respawning snipers for the third time, I just knew I had made the wrong choice gameplay-wise.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Do we get to fight on the internet about the white phospherous section and/or all of spec ops again?

MichaelMaverick

Jan 28, 2009
slash2x said:
There is no BS "oh someone reviewed this game. BTW the page was paid for by the people who made the game, it got a 10 SURPRISE!"
Look up the Company of Heroes 2 review.

viggih7

Mar 31, 2009
AC10 said:
Do we get to fight on the internet about the white phospherous section and/or all of spec ops again?
/grabs popcorn

Dis gonna be gud

OT: the Shooter poem had me giggling at the metaphors but when wp was mentioned I got kind of depressed and shit. God damnit Spec Ops.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I thought the actual "Line" in Spec Ops was actually better than the phosphorous event. It, at least, wasn't hyped to the point that it might as well have been spoiled.

As per Jim, more power to you. I don't agree with all your views, and therefore don't turn to you for reviews that often--I tend to like some of the crapper games, they have a kind of charm to them. I still think it's good for you to stand up like that; after all, a review is just one person's opinion.

Friederich

May 4, 2010
It's nice to see yahztee hasn't forgotten about one the most significant games of last year.
Disclaimer: that's my opinion.

loilane

Jul 10, 2013
Excellent wordsmithing. Yahtzee's description of weapons was clear and enjoyable and the "ball/party' theme was great. Jim went straight to the point. Mayhaps, Yahtzee's poem was off topic, but I'm new and not sure if poems come 1st and then the video is named or if the topic is set 1st and then the words are smithed into perfection.

Sosa Star

Nov 23, 2009
Amazing job, both of you. Jim's was short and sweet, and Yahtzee's was an absolute blast; I wasn't ready for the punchlines in either. Can't wait for next week