Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Download Paused

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
Download Paused

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Jan 12, 2012
Jim's poem was fine, but that cinematography... There's a reason why people have spent so long making smooth and steady film, rather than jumpy nonsense that induces motion sickness.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
Both good little poems, but Jim is right, seriously sleep mode downloads should not be that much of an issue.

Hell the 3DS, from Nintendo the company that "doesn't know online" has working sleep mode downloads with minimal hassle, why the hell can't the vita manage it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't have a Vita and don't have any intention of buying one so I can't really empathize with you there Jim.
"Pay $9.99 to unlock full version" Only if EA was God. ...actually scratch that. If EA was God we'd have to pay $9.99 to unlock each new Galaxy.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Eh? My Vita downloads and installs games in sleep mode just fine. Am I that lucky, or it's a problem in US region only?

Steve2911

May 3, 2010
I have that problem with my (UK) Vita maybe one download in every 5. When it happens though, it's usually for some big fucker of a game that I've been waiting to play for hours, only to find it stopped at 8%. I swear it must just be a randomly occuring bug, because as Jim says it's not consistent at all.

Apr 28, 2008
At least the Vita can fucking pause downloads. Did you know the PS4 has no pause download button? It's true.

Yossarian1507 said:
Eh? My Vita downloads and installs games in sleep mode just fine. Am I that lucky, or it's a problem in US region only?
I'm in the US and it's happened to me quite a few times. So... maybe? It sounds like a ridiculously silly problem that shouldn't happen, but this is Sony, who still hasn't added a pause download option to the PS4. So who knows.

LameDuck

Feb 8, 2014
canadamus_prime said:
"Pay $9.99 to unlock full version" Only if EA was God. ...actually scratch that. If EA was God we'd have to pay $9.99 to unlock each new Galaxy.
"Happy birthday %PLAYER_NAME%! You can now purchase 10 more years for only $9.99, or get the Family Value pack for only $29.99, including 30 years and two more Family Slots!"

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I don't have a Vita and don't have any intention of buying one so I can't really empathize with you there Jim.
Fuck they would charge $1.99 for each breath you take. You want cellular mitosis? That will require a yearly subscription of $69.99 plus tax.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
When was Jim's poem recorded? Seems a bit odd after Sony's classy response to the Jimquisition.

DocZombie

Jul 28, 2011
Yahtzee's tale reminds me of a "Tharg's Future Shocks" tale from 2000AD in the '80s - a ship meets a barrier at the edge of the universe and deciphers a message writ thereon... (something about a comma "x times bigger than the diameter of Jupiter" was in there, I think...)

I can't remember what the message was in the comic - anyone out there in Escapist land remember...???

Also, there's a Tron-esque vibe about game characters living their lives within the game "universe" - or Wreck It Ralph if you want SOMETHING in this post to be (almost) contemporary

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
Why is it that my crappy 3 year old laptop (which itself was obsolete around the time I bought it) can download something while I play a game just fine, but a cutting edge PS3 can't multi-task?

See, this is why I game on PCs these days: it's still as complicated an experience as ever, but consoles have just gotten so much worse.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Apothecary2 said:
Evonisia said:
When was Jim's poem recorded? Seems a bit odd after Sony's classy response to the Jimquisition.
When was that?
According to Jim, sometime between the Monday when the Vita episode launched and the Friday when he recorded this week's episode.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
gamegod25 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Fuck they would charge $1.99 for each breath you take. You want cellular mitosis? That will require a yearly subscription of $69.99 plus tax.
Nah, breathing would be included with the Season Pass.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Both poets were on top form but I'm declaring Yahtzee winner here.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Best verse in the Verse. But I still don't see why I got a slap on the wrist for posting things you pay Jim Sterling to say in front of children.
And where in hell is that music coming from? That happens all the time here. I post this, and a few seconds later some dance tune starts playing out of nowhere. I can't find any widget on the page that shows that it is playing music. What is that? It's driving me bonkers. Then it just fades out. That's just screwy.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yossarian1507 said:
Unknown. Happens to me in the USA all the time. Irksome, but the thing is still a great system. I cannot recommend enough the pleasure of gaming on one when waiting for things such as car repairs or doctor's appointments. Time flies. It's almost as good as being at home, gaming. You just don't mind it.

But yes, I have to "wake up" a download on a regular basis. At least, with PSN+, I have a lot I want to download.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
gamegod25 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Nah, breathing would be included with the Season Pass.
Skin packs wouldn't be though, better start saving if you don't want exposed muscle everywhere.