Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Games, Games, Everywhere.

furai47

Nov 18, 2009
deathjavu said:
Except for the part where the NRA, a group explicitly formed to further the interests of gun salesmen (a biased group in this discussion if ever there was one), has a very well funded lobbying group that makes passing any such law impossible regardless of public support. It's been proven time and time again that public interest in a law being passed cannot make it so, much less something trivial like common sense.

Anyways it's a bit late to jump to the defense of the US consitution now, the US been wiping their asses with it since it was printed. Unreasonable search and seizure has been the order of the day from the moment any new intelligence agency was formed. Cruel and unusual punishment takes place on people who were never given trials. US citizens can be killed without trial. The US judiciary is a political branch of the government with the same party divisions as congress. Free speech is heavily restricted, both in the media and in public. Protesters are often evicted from public locations. Laws with the purpose or effect of limiting voting availability are passed all the time. Disenfranchisement is legal and common.

Seriously, at this point it's more butt-stains than ink. Time to flush it.
I may have slipped up there, you can't propose an amendment. The two houses of Congress have to with a two thirds vote. You are right about common sense, when passing laws it _is_ a trivial thing, you have to put in some more work than that.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I'm glad someone called out indie games on some of their bullshit. Most of the time you can't do that without a bunch of indie game fanboys telling you to go back to your Call of Duty. Yeah, because yet another retro style game is so original. Not that they can't be fun (Call of Duty can even be fun under the right circumstanes), but to claim originality? Shut the fuck up with that nonsense.

mike1921 said:
Except banning assault rifles harms no one, lowering the speed limit harms everyone.
Yes, lowering the speed limit does indeed harm everyone. Life is the movie Speed and if we slow down, the bombs in our cars will explode and everyone will be harmed.

What the flying fuck are you talking about?! Lowering the speed limit harms no one.

"Panic! Chaos! What is this!?
To help cut down on spam, we're doing spot check captchas on the forums. These help prevent bots from being able to post. Please complete the captcha to the left to post. Sorry for the inconvenience!"

Oh really? To cut down on spam? Then why the fuck is the "captcha" not a captcha at all but instead an ad asking me about what influences me about buying salsa? How does this stop a bot? Just admit that you greedy bastards want to inconvenience members for the sake of making more money (either through the ads we have to respond to before we can post or by getting people to sign up for Pub Club to make the ads go away) rather than lying about cutting down on spam.

Seriously, at this point I think this forum must be run by EA considering how casually user friendliness is discarded in the name of making a quick buck.

zerabp

Aug 30, 2011
To those using guns as a scapegoat the sameway the type of people in Ben's poem use media as a scapegoat.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/05/14/disarming-realities-as-gun-sales-soar-gun-crimes-plummet/

@Jim
Love the rose colored glasses.

drschplatt

Aug 18, 2010
I enjoyed Jim's quite a bit more this time. Unfortunately Yahtzee this time just came off childish and ignorant. He probably should stick to that of which he understands; games, not social debate.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
themilo504 said:
We should ban living, only then can we stop violence.

That sounds like a Final Fantasy X villain plot, where they're all 'if everybody's dead, all the bad things we do to each other and subsequent suffering will end' while completely overlooking the bad things and suffering they themselves are bringing about to just realize their endgame.

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
Miss G. said:
themilo504 said:
We should ban living, only then can we stop violence.

That sounds like a Final Fantasy X villain plot, where they're all 'if everybody's dead, all the bad things we do to each other and subsequent suffering will end' while completely overlooking the bad things and suffering they themselves are bringing about to just realize their endgame.
While this does sound like it would do well for a Final Fantasy villain plot, I think Marvel has gone over this idea enough times with their Sentinels.
Also, Adam Jensen saying his favorite political issue is about guns and not human augmentation, ha.

OT: Fantastic work with the poems by the way, guys.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Deshin said:
Desert Punk said:
yay for liberal whining I suppose? Go blame cars for drunk drivers next ect ect, and a few months late for the big stink about guns though.
Most people don't *really* believe guns are to blame for gun violence, but they WILL contest that it's damned more likely a school got shot up because he had easy access to an assault rifle than it was due to him playing videogames all week. Kind of a "let's see how you like being blamed for shit" turn which seems to provoke a lot of responses similar to yours so hey I guess everybody just missed the joke? But seriously, the blame for gun violence falls squarely on all the loons out there who thought they could beat Cho's high score.
The second you call a semi-automatic weapon an assault rifle, you label yourself as completely and utterly ignorant of the topic at hand, capable only of repeating what the anti gun lobbyists said, as opposed to having any idea what is actually going on. Assault weapons were banned a long time ago in the US along with all automatic weapons. There are still pre ban ones around, but as far as I'm aware the only time they've been used for a mass shooting was Ft Hood, and its a bit hard to ban military personnel from having them.

Banning ergonomic innovations and bayonets, which is most of what the anti-gun lobby has been labelling assault rifles, simply won't effect the outcome of these events. I will grant you a debate on expanded magazines, but be aware of what you're talking about.

(This also applies to anybody else talking assault weapons in this thread, you were just the first I saw).

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Requia said:
The second you call a semi-automatic weapon an assault rifle, you label yourself as completely and utterly ignorant of the topic at hand, capable only of repeating what the anti gun lobbyists said, as opposed to having any idea what is actually going on. Assault weapons were banned a long time ago in the US along with all automatic weapons. There are still pre ban ones around, but as far as I'm aware the only time they've been used for a mass shooting was Ft Hood, and its a bit hard to ban military personnel from having them.

Banning ergonomic innovations and bayonets, which is most of what the anti-gun lobby has been labelling assault rifles, simply won't effect the outcome of these events. I will grant you a debate on expanded magazines, but be aware of what you're talking about.

(This also applies to anybody else talking assault weapons in this thread, you were just the first I saw).
Why the hell would I know anything about your country's gun laws? What makes you think I even dislike guns? All I said regarding guns was that a lot more people have died due to nutjobs getting guns than they have due to nutjobs getting video games. And yeah I got the terminology wrong, my bad. Semi-auto, assault rifle, whatever, it's still something big and shiny some punk decided would make him look like Rambo as he mowed down a school of todlers. Firing rate be damned when your target can't even tie his own shoes yet. (oh God I'm going to hell for that one aren't I?)

I'm just confused where your animosity is coming from... I wrote right there on the end, "the blame for gun violence falls squarely on all the loons out there who thought they could beat Cho's high score", what part of that screams I'm blaming guns at all?

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Deshin said:
Requia said:

Why the hell would I know anything about your country's gun laws? What makes you think I even dislike guns? All I said regarding guns was that a lot more people have died due to nutjobs getting guns than they have due to nutjobs getting video games. And yeah I got the terminology wrong, my bad. Semi-auto, assault rifle, whatever, it's still something big and shiny some punk decided would make him look like Rambo as he mowed down a school of todlers. Firing rate be damned when your target can't even tie his own shoes yet. (oh God I'm going to hell for that one aren't I?)

I'm just confused where your animosity is coming from... I wrote right there on the end, "the blame for gun violence falls squarely on all the loons out there who thought they could beat Cho's high score", what part of that screams I'm blaming guns at all?
it's damned more likely a school got shot up because he had easy access to an assault rifle
This has never happened, ever. This i snot so much animosity as being sick to death of people trying to ban irrelevant bullshit that was labelled 'assault rifle' by people who have no idea what they're talking about in order to feel better when white kids get shot instead of black kids (in which case it will be a small easily concealable handgun).

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Requia said:
Deshin said:
Requia said:
more snip
it's damned more likely a school got shot up because he had easy access to an assault rifle
This has never happened, ever. This is not so much animosity as being sick to death of people trying to ban irrelevant bullshit that was labelled 'assault rifle' by people who have no idea what they're talking about in order to feel better when white kids get shot instead of black kids (in which case it will be a small easily concealable handgun).
Yes, it is MORE likely that the ease of gun obtainment was a contributing factor than the ease of obtaining a video game about guns. I think neither are to blame but if you're going to start going down the blame-game ladder then the buck stops right there with the object designed to fire projectiles at a high velocity for the intent of severely damaging or disabling its intended target. This whole thing isn't even about banning guns. Also, white kids and black kids? What is this I don't even.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Deshin said:
Requia said:
Deshin said:
Requia said:
more snip
This has never happened, ever. This is not so much animosity as being sick to death of people trying to ban irrelevant bullshit that was labelled 'assault rifle' by people who have no idea what they're talking about in order to feel better when white kids get shot instead of black kids (in which case it will be a small easily concealable handgun).
Yes, it is MORE likely that the ease of gun obtainment was a contributing factor than the ease of obtaining a video game about guns.
Irrelevant to my point. The anti-gun lobby isn't using Newtown etc to make it harder to get guns in general. They are trying to make it harder to get semi automatic rifles that have specific ergonomic features, bayonets, or expanded magazines (that last of which I admit is relevant to the question of mass shootings).

I think neither are to blame but if you're going to start going down the blame-game ladder then the buck stops right there with the object designed to fire projectiles at a high velocity for the intent of severely damaging or disabling its intended target. This whole thing isn't even about banning guns. Also, white kids and black kids? What is this I don't even.
Check out Harper High. 39 of its students were shot in 2012, at just one high school, rather than as a mass shooting its because of a breakdown in local power structures (neither the cops, nor any specific gang, control the neighborhood). All of these were with handguns. But when a bunch of middle class white kids get shot, representing a tiny minority of total kids shot in 2012, suddenly we have to do something to stop that from happening. And the focus, rather than on illegal guns, or handguns, is on legally purchaced rifles, because that's what was used to shoot middle class white kids.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Both poems were great this week so great work the both of you!

Yahtzee's topic was very interesting and well thought out, also rhymed pretty well.

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
I was raised with guns in the house. I knew where they were, and I knew what they could do. When you see a .357 magnum atomize most of a cinder block around age five, you get the picture: these things are not toys. I got my first gun when I turned ten years old, a double barrel .410. After a couple months, I switched to the 12 gauge because the .410 shells were ridiculously overpriced in that market. Learning to shoot was an important rite of passage in my family, and I've passed it on, despite having no kids of my own yet: I taught a friend's son how to shoot.

Sure, I get angry sometimes. There are days I wouldn't mind liquidating entire departments when I'm in a bad mood, but I don't do it. I was raised properly. No amount of violent video games, television, cinema, music or literature is going to flip a switch and make me think it is a good idea to go on a lead and cordite rampage. When I hear about a teenager going on a shooting spree, my first thought isn't "oh no, they gonna wanna take my-ah guns" or "wow, somebody should really take all the guns" it is "Bad parenting."

Actually, if I were to go on a rampage, I'd probably use a Prius or something, just to give Prius owners the same kind of black eye that gun owners have been getting in the media.

Where do you draw the line? We've hit a point where people kill themselves over internet bullying.

Treat the cause, not the symptom.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I took the bait, and watched this Vid. I regret it. :/
Kinda irritated at Yahtzee's poem. I hope it wasn't intended as a "ban guns" thing. I'm not a fan of that notion. I'm leaving it at that.

Jim definitely made a point.