Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Games, Games, Everywhere.

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
Games, Games, Everywhere.

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Yahtzee tackled my favorite issues in politics and video game industry. It's absolutely insane how long people can go on denying the obvious truth about guns.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Yeah yeah, I'll bight. Guns are no more to blame than games, movies, books, pictures, and spoken word. Crazy people will do crazy things whether or not they have a gun to do them with.

Political differences aside, I still enjoyed both poems, though the meter in Jim's seemed a bit off. :p

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Taking on gun fans and the indie scene in the same video... This comment section will be interesting.
My exact thoughts, there are a lot of people who may react strongly to this.

I liked them both today, although with Jim's I am wondering whether he had a specific indie game in mind when he wrote his, or whether he was just thinking of indie games in general. I do find it funny how many Steam green light games are about zombies though.

RJ 17 said:
Yeah yeah, I'll bight. Guns are no more to blame than games, movies, books, pictures, and spoken word. Crazy people will do crazy things whether or not they have a gun to do them with.
Very true, although I think it's a very small minority who think that guns actually cause violence. It's more about how easy they make it.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Desert Punk said:
yay for liberal whining I suppose? Go blame cars for drunk drivers next ect ect, and a few months late for the big stink about guns though.
Most people don't *really* believe guns are to blame for gun violence, but they WILL contest that it's damned more likely a school got shot up because he had easy access to an assault rifle than it was due to him playing videogames all week. Kind of a "let's see how you like being blamed for shit" turn which seems to provoke a lot of responses similar to yours so hey I guess everybody just missed the joke? But seriously, the blame for gun violence falls squarely on all the loons out there who thought they could beat Cho's high score.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yahtzee's poem made me laugh. Yes let's ban everything that'll keep everyone sane, sure it will. BTW this NRA sandwich is great. OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Legion said:
RJ 17 said:
Very true, although I think it's a very small minority who think that guns actually cause violence. It's more about how easy they make it.
And see, I have absolutely no problem with having THAT discussion as it's a perfectly reasonable one to have. But as I said, crazy people will always be able to do crazy things whether or not they have a gun. We're in an age where you can look up instructions on building a bomb at your local library. Guns do indeed make it easier for a crazy person to pull off a mass killing, but the vast majority of people who have/use guns have no intention of bringing harm to anyone (militaries excluded, obviously :p).

The only issue that I have with the gun debate is when people start saying that guns cause violence which, judging by the comments in the news articles every time some senator pops up saying "Ban games because they lead to shootings!", there's a depressingly large number of Escapists that seem to believe that the guns are to blame for the violence. And judging by Yahtzee's poem heavily implying (though to be fair, not out-right saying) that the guns themselves are the problem, apparently he does too. :p

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
And if this video proves anything, it's that Catcher in the Rye will always suck ass.
Seconded.

Jim's game should have a Green Day soundtrack
I wanna be a minority!
Certainly would fit with the pretentiousness of indie games. Green Day moves to America so they can make it big as a rock band and then spend all their time bitching about America. :p

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Legion said:
RJ 17 said:
And see, I have absolutely no problem with having THAT discussion as it's a perfectly reasonable one to have. But as I said, crazy people will always be able to do crazy things whether or not they have a gun. We're in an age where you can look up instructions on building a bomb at your local library. Guns do indeed make it easier for a crazy person to pull off a mass killing, but the vast majority of people who have/use guns have no intention of bringing harm to anyone (militaries excluded, obviously :p).

The only issue that I have with the gun debate is when people start saying that guns cause violence which, judging by the comments in the news articles every time some senator pops up saying "Ban games because they lead to shootings!", there's a depressingly large number of Escapists that seem to believe that the guns are to blame for the violence. And judging by Yahtzee's poem heavily implying (though to be fair, not out-right saying) that the guns themselves are the problem, apparently he does too. :p
That is unfortunately just the way a significant proportion of peoples brains work. It is in our nature to look for the easiest solutions and so for many they will see guns as the common and obvious link and assume that it must be the problem. The issue I see is that it is too late to really use banning guns as a solution.

Back before they were so common in such countries it may have been possible, but now that they are everywhere banning them would have absolutely no benefit to the average person. The people who own one with the intention of harming another are not going to give their weapon up just because of the law, so criminals would still have them. It'd only harm normal people and benefit criminals should it happen now. Seeing as they could profit from selling them as they'd be the only supplier.

I don't believe Yahtzee was suggesting guns were the problem, so much as he was just mocking the way a lot of people seem to look at everything except guns as a possible problem. The NRA for example seem to not only think guns are not a problem, but that more guns would be a solution. I think he was making fun of that kind of attitude more than anything else.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I loved Jim's one this week. Me and my friends often joke about the indie scene, and how damn samey most of them are. I highly suspect if you look at the entirety of the indie and AAA scene, you would find about the same amount of innovation and originality. And yes, this is coming from a fan of artsty indie games. XD

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I personally really enjoyed both poems again this week, especially Jim's poking at the indie scene.

Keep up the good work, lads.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
RJ 17 said:

Political differences aside, I still enjoyed both poems, though the meter in Jim's seemed a bit off. :p
I suppose I interpreted the poem differently. I thought the part about guns specifically was just to go with the flow of the poem, but the moral or point or whatever stood as some people do scary shit regardless of what you ban.